Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bordeaux OT

Options
YukonRon
YukonRon Posts: 16,989
For those interested, 2015 vintage Bordeaux has been rated amongst the best ever. Prices are expected to skyrocket, so buy early.
This vintage from Bordeaux will cellar very well and will rival in value amongst the greats, over time. 
"Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
Louisville, Kentucky

Comments

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Thanks for the heads up. Best places to purchase?
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Thanks Ron!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    I know virtually nothing about wine.  Please explain how a 2015 bottle can be vintage.  Are they projecting that by the time the 2015 bottle of wine is considered vintage, it will be superb?  
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • YukonRon
    Options
    Thanks for the heads up. Best places to purchase?
    Go on line and start looking. Last time a vintage like this from Bordeaux hit the market, it was mostly auctioned off. Brokers will be the best avenue. Prices will likely increase 30-60% once the distribution channels release it.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • tgs2401
    tgs2401 Posts: 423
    Options
    Does it come in a box?
    One large BGE in Louisville, KY.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,174
    Options
    I hope it's a screw top... 
  • cssmd27
    cssmd27 Posts: 345
    Options
    Right now, everything is being sold on "futures" - as in pay now, receive wine in a couple of years.  Then, cellar it for another 5-10 minimum.

I'm big into wine, but have enough cellared to last my projected lifetime.  (or, at least until my palate starts failing due to age)  So, I'm not buying.  I already am full from all the other "greatest vintages ever" - 2000, 2003 (fallen out of favor as it's aged, especially the Right Bank wines), 2005, 2009, and 2010.

If you're buying futures, make sure the retailer is rock solid because you're giving them money and trusting they will still be around in a few years to deliver.  I've seen tons of guys get burned.  Buy from the major ones with a long track record.

One of the nice things about buying futures is that you can select your formats with minimal upcharge - 375's, 750's, 1.5's, 3L's, and on.  Buying futures is usually done in case (12) quantities, so it can be a big outlay of money. 
    Dallas (University Park), Texas
  • YukonRon
    Options

kl8ton said:
    I know virtually nothing about wine.  Please explain how a 2015 bottle can be vintage.  Are they projecting that by the time the 2015 bottle of wine is considered vintage, it will be superb?  
    Well it is complicated. Each release is a vintage. Some better than others. The 2015 release, based on the quality of harvest, due to the climate, temps and moisture produced tremendous fruit.
    The demand globally will be high for this, as China is now a major consumer.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,174
    Options
    cssmd27 said:
    Right now, everything is being sold on "futures" - as in pay now, receive wine in a couple of years.  

Finally! Now I know where RTIC got their business model from. 
  • YukonRon
    Options

tgs2401 said:
    Does it come in a box?
    Sure. Wooden. 12 per.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options

I hope it's a screw top... 
    Many are going to screw tops, glass stoppers and vinyl "cork" for stoppers. Cork shortage.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    edited June 2016
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    For those interested, 2015 vintage Bordeaux has been rated amongst the best ever. Prices are expected to skyrocket, so buy early.
    This vintage from Bordeaux will cellar very well and will rival in value amongst the greats, over time. 
    Ahhhh, a nice Bordeaux paired with a Chick-Fil-a sandwich. Just bustin on ya....couldn't resist. Thanks for the heads up.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • YukonRon
    Options
    The white Bordeaux would be excellent with pan fried chicken. There are several varieties that are extremely compelling. I'd do it.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    Ahhhh, a nice Bordeaux paired with a Chick-Fil-a sandwich. Just bustin on ya....couldn't resist. Thanks for the heads up.
    I got a chuckle out of it.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,348
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    Red wine with chicken??? 

What kind of savage are you??? :)
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• YukonRon
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    YukonRon said:
    Red wine with chicken??? 

What kind of savage are you??? :)
    There are some outstanding whites that make it out of Bordeaux. The old saying the best wine never leaves the region is true in this case. If you find it, buy it. If the reds are going to be "best ever", the whites and rosé from the region will be absolutely killer.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • McStew
    McStew Posts: 965
    Options
    @YukonRon thanks for the heads up I was just packing up some vintage bottles that I just sold
    Hermosa Beach CA 
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    You buy futures?

my son was born in 2000, and we were gonna get a case.  But even the futures for those were out of my league. Was another 'defining vintage'. 

My youngest was 2002. Not such a great year hahah. 

[social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• YukonRon
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    You buy futures?

my son was born in 2000, and we were gonna get a case.  But even the futures for those were out of my league. Was another 'defining vintage'. 

My youngest was 2002. Not such a great year hahah. 

I am going to get a case of Rothschild of the 2015. It has a very solid record for value increase and at its price, it is approachable.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    I think the futures for 2000 Bordeaux were approaching $450/bottle at the time. Decided not to pull the trigger on that. 

Hahaha
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• YukonRon
    Options
    McStew said:
    @YukonRon thanks for the heads up I was just packing up some vintage bottles that I just sold
    How much you get for it?

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options
    I
    cssmd27 said:
    Right now, everything is being sold on "futures" - as in pay now, receive wine in a couple of years.  Then, cellar it for another 5-10 minimum.

I'm big into wine, but have enough cellared to last my projected lifetime.  (or, at least until my palate starts failing due to age)  So, I'm not buying.  I already am full from all the other "greatest vintages ever" - 2000, 2003 (fallen out of favor as it's aged, especially the Right Bank wines), 2005, 2009, and 2010.

If you're buying futures, make sure the retailer is rock solid because you're giving them money and trusting they will still be around in a few years to deliver.  I've seen tons of guys get burned.  Buy from the major ones with a long track record.

One of the nice things about buying futures is that you can select your formats with minimal upcharge - 375's, 750's, 1.5's, 3L's, and on.  Buying futures is usually done in case (12) quantities, so it can be a big outlay of money. 
    I have verticals from 2000.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Stormbringer
    Stormbringer Posts: 2,072
    Options
    I've been buying Bordeaux futures for years. However, with the price hikes that came with the 09 vintage, the market turned from a futures model to a price on release model. In other words, it was priced too highly on release, and markets lost interest. At this point I stopped buying big names in 2009, and didn't buy anything in 2013/2014.

However, 2015 does look promising. I'm not buying but only beacuse, like @cssmd27 , I have enough to last, and there is more to wine than Bordeaux. Burgundy, for example.

IMHO the first growths are still too expensive to justify, unless one had a massive cash surplus. For example, Ch. Margaux is £5K/case, the 2005 (which is en par with the 2015 in my view), is only £250 more. So the only reason to buy the 2015 now is to say "I have a 2015 Margaux".

There are some worth buying for sure. The pricing has been senisble in the mid and low range, I suspect because the Chateau owners knew they had something good but if priced too high the market would once again walk away. If I was buying, I would pick
    • d'Angludet
    • Moulin St. Georges
    • Cantemerle
    • Grand Puy Lacoste (and their second wine, Lacoste Borie)
    • du Tertre
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    | Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire
    | My food blog ... BGE and other stuff ... http://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------

• jeffwit
    jeffwit Posts: 1,348
    Options
    Does this mean Boone's Farm will be even better this year?
    Jefferson, GA
    XL BGE, MM, Things to flip meat over and stuff
    Wife, 3 kids, 5 dogs, 4 cats, 12 chickens, 2 goats, 2 pigs. 
    “Honey, we bought a farm.”
  • YukonRon
    Options
    I've been buying Bordeaux futures for years. However, with the price hikes that came with the 09 vintage, the market turned from a futures model to a price on release model. In other words, it was priced too highly on release, and markets lost interest. At this point I stopped buying big names in 2009, and didn't buy anything in 2013/2014.

However, 2015 does look promising. I'm not buying but only beacuse, like @cssmd27 , I have enough to last, and there is more to wine than Bordeaux. Burgundy, for example.

IMHO the first growths are still too expensive to justify, unless one had a massive cash surplus. For example, Ch. Margaux is £5K/case, the 2005 (which is en par with the 2015 in my view), is only £250 more. So the only reason to buy the 2015 now is to say "I have a 2015 Margaux".

There are some worth buying for sure. The pricing has been senisble in the mid and low range, I suspect because the Chateau owners knew they had something good but if priced too high the market would once again walk away. If I was buying, I would pick
    • d'Angludet
    • Moulin St. Georges
    • Cantemerle
    • Grand Puy Lacoste (and their second wine, Lacoste Borie)
    • du Tertre
    @stormbringer, could not agree more about Burgundy, My Beautiful Wife and I have spent much time in France, and a significant portion has been in the search of great french wine in Burgundy.
    However, my personal preference in french wine may reflect my level in the lack of sophistication in the eyes of the true connoisseur, I love the blends of the Southern Rhone.
    BTW, MSG & GPL, are well represented on my rack in the basement. I absolutely agree with those choices.This was from our last trip to Burgundy. Charlemagne proclaimed it his favorite vin. I think it amongst the most beautiful.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,348
    Options
    jeffwit said:
    Does this mean Boone's Farm will be even better this year?
    I think it might finally be time to start opening those cases of Ripple I've had in the cellar for decades.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,618
    Options
    I once bought beer futures, worked out really well.  You can't find this anywhere, it was slightly grey market.

This was the deal, we were with a large group at a local happy hour.  6pm was fast approaching, and with it, a return to regular menu pricing.  Our quick thinking, innovative waiter saw an opportunity and seized it.  He offered to pre-sell all of the pitchers and wings we wanted at the HH price, to be delivered on demand over the next hour or two.  I'm a big believer in futures.
  • YukonRon
    Options
    Legume said:
    I once bought beer futures, worked out really well.  You can't find this anywhere, it was slightly grey market.

This was the deal, we were with a large group at a local happy hour.  6pm was fast approaching, and with it, a return to regular menu pricing.  Our quick thinking, innovative waiter saw an opportunity and seized it.  He offered to pre-sell all of the pitchers and wings we wanted at the HH price, to be delivered on demand over the next hour or two.  I'm a big believer in futures.
    You are a funny guy. My best advise to anyone that is keeping something special for a later date; live now. A friend of mine, with a cellar of amazing wine, died in a car wreck a couple years ago. Never even touched his prized possesions. Enjoy life while you can.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    my only remaining bottle of interest is a ca1915 burgundy.  won't be any good, but it will be fun to give it the old college try!