Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Favorite espresso Coffee Bean?

Options
Since many of you here enjoy the finer eats and drinks, I'm guessing some of you enjoy a great espresso (latte/cappuccino) at home as well.

After being on a couple group vacations where folks brought their Breville BES 870XL along, I had to get one.  It just makes a consistently great espresso, which of course is also dictated by the bean you choose.  I've had it for over a year and use it every morning.

After trying several beans, I have become addicted to Stumptown's Hair Bender.   Thing is, I get a few bags of that, with shipping charges...it's a bit pricey.  I'm not complaining too much as I'm the only one in my house who drinks it so one double a day still lasts me a bit.

Curious if you have any favorite beans you'd recommend for espresso?

Preferably some that are readily available and cheaper than the $15/12 oz. bag I am paying.  But if it's the same price, that's okay also.

I don't like a really dark roast thus I don't like most "espresso roast" beans.  This Hair Bender, though, is actually used in several coffee shops in my area, plus is the go-to out in their Portland stores.
LBGE/Maryland

Comments

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Not an espresso drinker at home....but did eat some chocolate covered espresso beans recently.....that were outstanding. Nice little afternoon pick me up. Sorry I took this in a little bit different direction. Try them sometime.https://www.amazon.com/Chocolate-Covered-Espresso-Coffee-Beans/dp/B00RC3AWOM/ref=sr_1_8_s_it?s=grocery&ie=UTF8&qid=1466709926&sr=1-8&keywords=chocolate+covered+espresso+beans
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    I really like Mayorga, out of Silver Spring, MD. There is also Pfefferkorn and Zekes in Baltimore. Dublin Roasters in Frederick does a nice job too. For me, the freshness of local coffee is key. 

Then again, I have a Nespresso machine.

The best coffee I have had is in Puerto Rico. Yaucono. I get a bag every so often when family brings some from the island.

• NERVOUS
    NERVOUS Posts: 104
    Options
    I'm a Nespresso owner, but I'd like to learn about another potential toy to buy.   =)
    Jeremiah  |  La Canada Flintridge, CA  |  XL BGE
    "Life is about experiences...  And one of my absolute favorite experiences is FOOD!"
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options
    I really like Mayorga, out of Silver Spring, MD. There is also Pfefferkorn and Zekes in Baltimore. Dublin Roasters in Frederick does a nice job too. For me, the freshness of local coffee is key.

That's a good point.  I should be able to get some fresh Mayorga around here since I'm in the same general area.  I recall for a while they were doing a special at Costco and just blowing out the large bags there at a good price. 

The ones I order are roasted after I place the order.  The box smells great when it arrives at the door and I then keep the bags in the freezer in a ziplock.
    LBGE/Maryland
  • KiterTodd
    Options
    NERVOUS said:
    I'm a Nespresso owner, but I'd like to learn about another potential toy to buy.   =)
    Look up the one I listed.  It's a solid machine.  Great warranty, very well constructed, easy to use...but with enough manual controls that you can dial things in to your liking.
    LBGE/Maryland
  • KiterTodd
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Still looking for suggestions!

...but wanted to share this one with you. 
    This is also excellent, and the name cracks me up-

LBGE/Maryland
  • bigbadben
    bigbadben Posts: 397
    Options
    I have gone down the espresso rabbit hole. Three years ago I started roasting my own beans. Buy a behmore1600 and beans from sweet Maria's. My break even point was 6 months. 
  • sctdg
    sctdg Posts: 301
    Options
    bigbadben said:
    I have gone down the espresso rabbit hole. Three years ago I started roasting my own beans. Buy a behmore1600 and beans from sweet Maria's. My break even point was 6 months. 

+1 . Did upgrade to 1600 plus gives more flexibility in roasting . Roastmasters is another good source for beans .Roasting your own coffee opens up a whole new world to choices of what beans for espresso .And you roast to how you like it . If you don't want to go as far as a drum roaster try a Freshroast 500 good air roaster for quick small roasts . Roast as dark or as light as you want .
  • berndcrisp
    berndcrisp Posts: 1,166
    Options

I just use a mocha pot on the stove with Café Bustello from the grocery store at $3.99/10oz. This works for me.

I used to buy expresso beans from some place in San Fran, very good but the burr grinding etc became to much for every day at 5AM.

Hood Stars, Wrist Crowns and Obsession Dobs!

• Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    Lavatory--double crema. For not local is very good. Not as good but not 20 per lb. 
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • KiterTodd
    Options
    Roast my own beans!?  Now there is an option.  I'm not sure I'm that committed yet, though.  I'm still working on drawing a pretty picture on the top of my coffee.  Every time I try to draw a BGE it comes out looking like a Minion.  :)
    LBGE/Maryland
  • Fayborg
    Fayborg Posts: 82
    Options
    Another + for the Behmor 1600.  I also buyer even beans from Sweet Maria's and Roastmasters. I mainly drink regular drip coffee.  Sometimes pretty stiff cups.  Just wish they made bigger French presses.  Then I would do French Press all the time.  I enjoy playing with the dergee of roasts.   
  • Judy Mayberry
    Judy Mayberry Posts: 2,015
    edited June 2016
    Options
    @Fayborg: I have an 8-cup and double insulated French press that has a locking solid part covering the screen after it brews, to prevent the grounds from continuing to brew and making the coffee bitter. It makes plenty of coffee for me. I even have an extra in case I break it! Although after many years that doesn't look like it's gonna happen.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias=kitchen&field-keywords=BonJour+French+Press+Maximus+with+Flavor+Lock+Brewing
    Judy in San Diego
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    My Beautiful Wife and I travel the world with a french press, and our own blend. From backpacking at 14K+ asl, to the source of the Seine, we have delicious coffee ready in minutes. We mix our beans, grind them very coarse, and keep them vacuum packed at home, and in carefully measured vacuum packed portions for the travels.
    We have had several, but the one we use the most, a lightweight plastic, durable and insulated FP, we use when we camp and travel is our fave. The mst dissapointing is the Le Creuset. Total POS. Worst of the 8 we have purchased, by far.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • KiterTodd
    Options
    Thanks!  Just ordered some.  It's a bigger bag and cheaper shipping than my usual. Look forward to trying it.
    LBGE/Maryland
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• DuckDogDr
    DuckDogDr Posts: 1,549
    Options
    So ... I used to be a coffee efficianado while in school now I only drink on my swing shifts at work...

im following this thread as I would like options besides looser bucks coffee
  • JohnB
    JohnB Posts: 183
    Options
    I roast my own beans using a Poppery II hot air popcorn maker and my favorite bean is the stock espresso blend from Burmans, although I've roasted some peaberries that almost tasted like bittersweet chocolate. To take the espresso nerd brass ring I grind with an Orphan Espresso Pharos hand grinder and pull my shots with a pre-millenium La Pavoni Europiccola lever machine. Wurd.
  • KiterTodd
    Options
    Nothing slowing down your path to espresso in the morning, @Mickey!   :grin:
    LBGE/Maryland
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    KiterTodd said:
    I don't drink it. Just to make Coffee Rub with. Stopping drinking coffee when I retired.  
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• KiterTodd
    Options
    Mickey said:
    KiterTodd said:
    I don't drink it. Just to make Coffee Rub with. Stopping drinking coffee when I retired.  
    I started drinking coffee when I had kids.  Maybe when they're off to college I'll be able to stop.   Well, maybe after I'm done paying for college....
    LBGE/Maryland
  • KiterTodd
    Options
    Hey, does anyone make a BGE coffee mug?
    It'd have to be green, shaped like the lower half of an egg, and with golf ball dimples on it...but I think it'd be a nice mug.

Maybe I should make one.   I promise it'll look better than my latest latte art...  :lol:

LBGE/Maryland
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    Damn @kitertodd that's a nice BGE!  until you turn the picture 90 degrees...

i too am in the nespresso group.  wish i had the time and patience for DIY.
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • waegger
    waegger Posts: 88
    Options
    lavazza grand whole bean.
  • KiterTodd
    Options
    Lavazza, yeah, that's what I started with.  The Supa Crema.  Good stuff.

Found this mug, but it's not available in green...   :(

LBGE/Maryland