Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

bandera

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Im thinking of purchasing a NB Bandera as my first smoker. Can anyone tell me the good and bad of this kind of smoker?

Comments

• Wis. bbq head,
    From a fellow Wis. BBQer, Put the money toward a Big Green Egg. I have made some good food on a bandera type cooker but, for our climate nothing but a Ceramic cooker can be used year round. You will give up some grill space but a Egg is so much more versatile, and easy to use.

• djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Wis. bbq head:[p]Try the link and ask your question again. Them folks can give you good advice on metal smokers.

[ul][li]The BBQ Forum[/ul]
  • Mop
    Mop Posts: 496
    Wis. bbq head, I have both styles and the Egg is certainly the one for the cold temps....It Makes some kick-ass wings too!
    The metal cooker is good too...
    If you strictly want to grill then get the Bandera...
    The Egg is limited in it`s capacity but it more than makes up in quality and ease of fire tending![p]I borrowed a Weber Smokey Mountain off of a neighbor and it was just cool out and found it a devil to keep heated...
    The Egg is unaware of the cold.....constant steady temps and really juicy food....[p]My metal cooker will sit till the nicer weather comes back and even then I imagine it`ll get used for grilling large amounts of food only....[p]Roger!

• Alan
    Alan Posts: 72
    Wis. bbq head,[p]I have both an egg and a bandera for now - I probably will sell the bandera eventually. If you go to Egroups, there is a group dedicated to the bandera. There is a lot of good info there, especially about some modifications to make it better.[p]The bandera works well for quantity cooking. You can't beat it if you are cooking 2 or 3 turkeys, or a lot of chicken breast. It does well for ribs as well. All in all, it's a first class smoker, especially for the price ( about 1/2 the $ of a large egg) [p]Being a metal smoker, though, fire control is much harder in bad weather ( cold or rain ). You also use more fuel, and it requires more attention during cooking.[p]I found low temperature control (~200) to be hard to do. Maybe I just never mastered the technique. I have no problems doing that on the egg. 225-250 temps were very easy to do, although it takes some practice.[p]If your budget won't support an egg, you won't go wrong with the bandera.[p]Cheeers,
    Alan