Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

PP Wontons and Veggie Stir Fry

bgebrent
bgebrent Posts: 19,636
Two varieties of PP wonton. One with slaw and pickle, one with Mac & Cheese and pickle. Kept those warm in the oven while going lower in the XL for the stir fry. 

My my much better half went with Jim's Own Sauce which was NCBB swag (really good!) and I went with Maurice's Southern Gold Hickory BBQ sauce (compliments of @ northGAcock-delicious).  Made for a good meal. Thanks for lookin. 
Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga

Comments

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Brent - I like the looks of that, yum!
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,050
    Yesssss!!!!  That looks amazing. :flushed: If you wanna try something really good for the dipping sauce, mix that mustard based sauce right there with some Asian sweet chili sauce.  50/50.  It's the perfect fusion of Asian for the wonton and mustard based Bbq for the pulled pork.  Sounds strange, but it'll knock your socks off. I got good feedback at last year's GA mountain eggfest with it. 
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Damn Brent it looks like you nailed it another cook.  Muy Bueno!!   

What hat kind of pan are you using for stir fry?  Looks like my carbon steel pan I use for Paella 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Bravo Brent! Grand slam. My family is on my a** to do this now. Thanks buddy!
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Those look good. Jim's Own is one of my favorites! 
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • bgebrent
    @DMW, thanks my friend.

Dyal_SC said:
    Yesssss!!!!  That looks amazing. :flushed: If you wanna try something really good for the dipping sauce, mix that mustard based sauce right there with some Asian sweet chili sauce.  50/50.  It's the perfect fusion of Asian for the wonton and mustard based Bbq for the pulled pork.  Sounds strange, but it'll knock your socks off. I got good feedback at last year's GA mountain eggfest with it. 
    I like the sound of that and will try it.  Thanks for the idea!!

Damn Brent it looks like you nailed it another cook.  Muy Bueno!!   

What hat kind of pan are you using for stir fry?  Looks like my carbon steel pan I use for Paella 
    Matt, that is one of my Paella pans.  Poor mans wok, works well.
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Shucks....those would be outstanding regardless of the sauce. Very nice brother Brent.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • eggnewtoy
    eggnewtoy Posts: 496
    YUM!
    BGE Large and MiniMax, Napolean 500.  Obsessed with rotisserie.  

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    those wontons are some bad lookin' mamma jammas! 
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • fence0407
    fence0407 Posts: 2,236
    Killer cook again!
    Large - Mini - Blackstone 17", 28", 36"
    Cumming, GA  

• bgebrent
    edited June 2016
    Those look good. Jim's Own is one of my favorites! 
    Thanks Matt, they were good.

Shucks....those would be outstanding regardless of the sauce. Very nice brother Brent.
    Robin, I absolutely love that sauce you gave us!

eggnewtoy said:
    YUM!
    Thanks!

• bgebrent
    blind99 said:
    those wontons are some bad lookin' mamma jammas! 
    No 10 blades required!

fence0407 said:
    Killer cook again!
    Thank you brother fence!
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Brent, you raised the bar yet again. Beautiful cook, great presentation, and another idea for me to try. Awesome display my man.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,646
    A swing and a drive!!!!!!!!!!!!! Homerun!!!!!!!

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• bgebrent
    @YukonRon & @shtgunal3, thank you brothers!
  • RRog17
    RRog17 Posts: 562
    @bgebrent Those look great! Which was better? I did pulled pork and pimento cheese wontons once and they were awesome!
    Canton, GA
    LBGE, Joe Jr., 28” Blackstone
  • bgebrent
    RRog17 said:
    @bgebrent Those look great! Which was better? I did pulled pork and pimento cheese wontons once and they were awesome!
    We liked the wontons with the slaw better because the flavor came through more.  Next time I'd add some fresh cheddar to the Mac n cheese version.  More along the lines of your pimento cheese version.  Thanks brother!
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,669
    Very nice!

Great detailed and executed cook !!! Also.. You are nipping at Matts heels with your photo skills.. Great pics..
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • mrs_story
    mrs_story Posts: 136
    Looks good! 

I never deep fry because of the smell that hangs around the house.  We're still new with the BGE, so I don't know anything about deep frying with it.  I have questions!

I thought the lid is supposed to be down when cooking with the egg.  But frying can go from golden to burnt really fast.  Do you close the lid, or just keep it open?  And I suspect you are more concerned with the temp of the oil, rather than the temp inside the egg, yes?

Sorry if these are dumb/obvious questions.  I haven't made tempura or wontons in years, but might be fixing them again soon! 
  • texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    Looks good man. It's been forever since I've made any kind of eggrolls. 

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • Gamecockeggman
    Gamecockeggman Posts: 1,329
    Eggcellence!!!  And lovin the sauce.
    Go Gamecocks!!!
    1 XL, 1 MM
    Smoking in Aiken South Carolina
  • bgebrent
    edited June 2016
    Your questions are good.  I would close the dome when I didn't need it open to help hold the temp.  And yes, oil temp as you know is the key.  Egg dome temp on this cook was 400.  Oil temp around 375.

Egg dome open or closed all depends on the cook.  For the majority of cooks you want the dome closed as much as possible.  Some cooks are dome open such as Picanha.

Give it a go, it's not challenging.  And post your cook.  Good luck.  @mrs_story
  • mrs_story
    mrs_story Posts: 136
    Thanks so much for the speedy response!  When I told my daughter that I saw pics of someone frying on their egg, she hollered something about doughnuts.  :-) 
  • bgebrent
    mrs_story said:
    Thanks so much for the speedy response!  When I told my daughter that I saw pics of someone frying on their egg, she hollered something about doughnuts.  :-) 
    Doughnuts have been done!  Have fun!
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,540
    Looks great Brent!!  
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • bgebrent
    texaswig said:
    Looks good man. It's been forever since I've made any kind of eggrolls. 
    Eggcellence!!!  And lovin the sauce.
    Looks great Brent!!  
    Thank you brothers!