Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bad Ribs Outcome!!!

Options
toomsdpt
toomsdpt Posts: 141
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
was not happy with the baby back ribs i just did. did the 3-1-1.5 method with four ribs (each cut up in half). The first three hours seemed to go well but when I foiled them up I think I screwed it up somehow. After they were in the foil for an hour and I took them out the bones were not really exposed as I thought they were supposed to be. Last time i did the ribs they were. Im wondering if the following could of happened:
1. fire went out
2. the fact that I had four racks (cut in halfs)stacked on top of each other in the medium BGE didnt allow for an effective steam to occur. [p]I sprayed the ribs and poured apple juice into each foil. IDK they were ok but not nearlly as good as the last time I did them

Comments

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    toomsdpt,[p]Do I understand right, that "I sprayed the ribs and poured apple juice into each foil." means you had four or eight packages? I've always put mine in one big package, or just a foil pan, with a crimped sheet over the top. They don't seem to shrink that much, just get quite soft. They do shrink a bit during the last hour.[p]If you had a stack of packets, it might have been like an indirect-indirect-indirect-etc cook.[p]gdenby[p]
  • Meinbmw
    Meinbmw Posts: 157
    Options
    toomsdpt,
    I agree w/ Gdenby ... in that I see most of the "pull away from the bone" shrinkage taking place in the last hour or so of the cook.[p]Foiling is supposed to be primarily a tenderizing function.

• Unknown
    Options
    toomsdpt,
    I have done ribs that exact way in a medium(stacking the foiled packets) and everything turned out great. I find sometimes simply the quality of the ribs makes a big difference. Did you get the ribs from your usual source?

• 61chev
    61chev Posts: 539
    Options
    Houndog, I stacked the ones I did over the weekend they came out great
    gerry

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    toomsdpt,[p]Guys like Bill Milroy (who really worked on this method back in '00 or '01), Chris Lilly and Stogie have several things in common when foiling ribs. [p]1. Use a small package, that is one rack per pack.
    2. Put a sweetener in the foil first, like brown sugar, honey, apple jelly etc., then add around 2 ounces of liquid.
    3. Cook with the meat side down, so it is in contact with the liquid.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Gretl
    Gretl Posts: 670
    Options
    61 CHEV,
    I stacked my ribs, too, and they came out great. I had 7 racks and I foiled them 2-2-2-1, stacking them side by side in two layers. I rotated them after about half an hour, and then I had to overlap when I finished them. Not quite a perfect set-up, but they were absolutely delicious.
    Cheers,
    Gretl

• EddieMac
    EddieMac Posts: 423
    Options
    You didn't mention temperatures....When doing the 3-1-1 method..I cook my babybacks at 325 indirect....Then I put each slab in it's own individual foil patch with a splash of applejuice..And then I put them back on for just
    40 - 45 minutes still indirect....Then I pull 'em out of the foil...and cook direct...sauce'n and flippin...and flippin and a sauce'n.....for about 20 minutes or so......[p]And I've had some pretty good cooks using this method....[p]Ed McLean....eddiemac
    Ft. Pierce, FL

• tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    Options
    toomsdpt, I did 4 racks of BB, laid out flat, indirect, 250 dome for about 5-6 hours, no foil and no mess, perfect with little pull from the bone.

• Dimple's Mom
    Dimple's Mom Posts: 1,740
    Options
    eddiemac,[p]I always do the last cook indirect because I think pulling the hot grill and then hot platesetter off is a big pain. Do you have an easy way of doing that?[p]Gwen