Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Weed burner and sparks

I have searched and read a lot of comments on weed burners and recommendations to wear old shirts and goggles due to sparks. Do you proponents of this technique have any concerns over sparks igniting decks, etc?
LBGE, Minimax
Owensboro, Kentucky
Go Cats!

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,663
    its hard to resist pulling the trigger for the 500,000 btu's, but you dont have to and you can set the flame size low enough that its not an issue. on low its still big and hot enough to easily light lump. you should still wear sunglasses though =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    My experience is that the sparks are out before they hit the ground. The worst that has happened to me was a pin prick burn on one arm. Once, a small piece of lump popped off, not burning, and bounced of my glasses. I've had bigger problems using the weed burner as a weed burner than as a lump starter.

I don't know enough about deck lumber, but I do know that interior unfinished wood must be soaked w. fire retardant that will resist kindling even if a cigarette lighter is held to it.
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    edited June 2016
    Absolutely you should be concerned.  Hitting cold charcoal (or anything for that matter) with a up to 3600F flame is going to cause a reaction.  While the weed burner is efficient, I think it's safer than the handheld torch because it keep you an arms length, plus another 2ft or so from the flame.  I keep mine at 18-24 inches from the charcoal, so the flame blasts a 12" diameter and barely has any color left to it.  I don't know if you can tell the exact temp from the color, but orange is cooler than blue!  All you need to do is get the charcoal to 670F.  That extra 3000F is just going to cause trouble if you're close.

Goggles and gloves are good, no sandals, and a grill mat below at a minimum if on any deck.  My deck is made out of tigerwood, so it would take a long time to get it to burn......but my poor man's underdecking (geo pond liner to carry the water away), has all kind of little holes in it near my BGE where sparks have fallen through the space between the decking.  A dab of black RTV weather stripping sealant and they're good to go.   Be really careful if you have regular wood decking or plastic.
  • fishlessman
    as for the deck though, i dont recommend any grill on a deck even though my mini sits on one, a few of us have had fires on decks
    fukahwee maine

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Had an ember hit my lip the other day.  That was fun.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • dougcrann
    dougcrann Posts: 1,129
    I use Mesquite. When I have a fresh load in the firebox it pops and sparks no matter how low I set the flame on my weed burner. We live in an area that is becoming well known for its wildfires.  I keep a garden hose handy during the dry months. Or I just use a starter block or two. 
    That being said...I have noticed that the sparks go out...or so I thought. Last summer I had one land and ignite the area it landed in. This area was surrounded by a lot of gravel so. ...
  • cssmd27
    cssmd27 Posts: 345
    If you go at it hard and hot right away, you'll get sparks and pops.  Better to spread the heat around a bit.

And, ALWAYS wear safety glasses!  I've had some tiny embers pop out and hit my arms and around me.  No real harm other than a momentary burn/irritation, but that would be a much more serious issue if it hit my eyes.
    Dallas (University Park), Texas
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    edited June 2016
    The weed burner is the only way I light my eggs. By far the fastest and easiest way to light the egg in my opinion. I light the mini up to the XL with it.

Sparks depend on a few different factors. The lump you're using, how close to the lump you light, and the amount of propane you are feeding through it. You can get a flame that comes out of a consistency of a lighter or you can be a mad mad and make it rain like the 4th of July! 

With good lump and a weed burner you can get your temp established (300 degrees plus) and food on within 5 minutes.
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Raymont
    Raymont Posts: 710
    I must be using a lower btu weedburner. The one I have (similar to attached link) works well for me. When I light, I have it down in the lump and don't get much of any sparks. The nozel is more focused than some others. Tanks last a long time.

https://www.amazon.com/Bernzomatic-19425-JT850-Self-Igniting-Outdoor/dp/B00008ZA0F/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1466697819&sr=8-3&keywords=weed+burner

Small & Large BGE

Nashville, TN

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Raymont said:
    I must be using a lower btu weedburner. The one I have (similar to attached link) works well for me. When I light, I have it down in the lump and don't get much of any sparks. The nozel is more focused than some others. Tanks last a long time.

https://www.amazon.com/Bernzomatic-19425-JT850-Self-Igniting-Outdoor/dp/B00008ZA0F/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1466697819&sr=8-3&keywords=weed+burner
    That's the one I just asked for my birthday coming up.  Would the charcoal light very well if you came in from the bottom vent with it, lid down and top vent opened?

I have used my leaf blower to get the fire going faster and had sparks fly, but I stay back and my egg is on a concrete patio and at least 6' to 7" away from the house.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Raymont
    Raymont Posts: 710
    I don't think you could light from draft door. Never tried though. 

Small & Large BGE

Nashville, TN

• I live in the mountains of Northern Arizona, major fire country.Just can't even think of using anything like that due to extreme fire danger. One spark is all it takes. I use starter cubes and wait an hour. 
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Raymont said:

You can light from the bottom of you have a higher flow grate.  I've done it many times if the fire goes out when you have the plate setter in.  Also help getting a hotter fire since the heat travels up and ignites more charcoal.
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Raymont said:

You can light from the bottom of you have a higher flow grate.  I've done it many times if the fire goes out when you have the plate setter in.  Also help getting a hotter fire since the heat travels up and ignites more charcoal.

@stlcharcoal. Would lighting from the bottom resut in clear smoke sooner?  I'm usually not in a rush, just wondering.

Phoenix 
  • fishlessman
    blasting said:
    Raymont said:

@stlcharcoal. Would lighting from the bottom resut in clear smoke sooner?  I'm usually not in a rush, just wondering.

i light my mini from the bottom, fires up quickly, foods on 5 to 10 minutes max.  not so good for low and slows in larger eggs, had a butt come out whiter than it went in for some reason, wont do that again
    fukahwee maine

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Light from the top and keep a handful of second burn lump around to throw on the top after you dump new lump in. The second burn stuff does not spark nearly as much, if at all, and it usually catches quicker, I think 'cause it has already sparked and excess moisture has been burned off - will leave that to the experts. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    MAPP Torch. This method works equally as well on my LG. And I do wear safety glasses regardless (you only get two eyes!) & fire extinguisher should be nearby anyways for safety. 
    https://youtu.be/9b0uWz2Eo-w
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Weed Burner-- harbor freight. 25.00 with starter.  has a twist nob for gas flow. Once lit set it fairly low and hold it close'sh. It takes a few times to get the hang of it. Work it slowly over the top of the charcoal--All good. Or blast it and hang on. Keeps grease on grates clean too. In an XL, it fits right in the draft door. Keep the dome closed and daisy off. Are sparks an issue--yes--but you learn to manage them.
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Jstroke said:
    Weed Burner-- harbor freight. 25.00 with starter.  has a twist nob for gas flow. Once lit set it fairly low and hold it close'sh. It takes a few times to get the hang of it. Work it slowly over the top of the charcoal--All good. Or blast it and hang on. Keeps grease on grates clean too. In an XL, it fits right in the draft door. Keep the dome closed and daisy off. Are sparks an issue--yes--but you learn to manage them.
    Your post reminds me, weed burner to clean the grids and it is great for removing "paint" from old, neglected CI....
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    I just close the lid with one hand and hit the torch trigger with the other. 
  • Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Jstroke said:
    Your post reminds me, weed burner to clean the grids and it is great for removing "paint" from old, neglected CI....
    I highly recommend them for all kinds of other duties including but not limited to making obnoxious guests nervous of getting too close to my cooking space. Instant understanding is often achieved without a word spoken. 
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited June 2016
    Jstroke said:
    Jstroke said:
    I highly recommend them for all kinds of other duties including but not limited to making obnoxious guests nervous of getting too close to my cooking space. Instant understanding is often achieved without a word spoken. 
    Like racking a shotgun.

My firepimp cane is simply awesome.  Cannot believe I went this long without it.  Burning weeds is enjoyable.  It has replaced the need to travel with a chimney starter.  And I can work some magic quickly starting(no kindling or blowing on the fire needed, lol) and tending the fires when camping with the cane and the 52" Pyroclaw.  Simply, a game changing, versatile, accessory.   
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."