Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Country Style Ribs

Hey y'all!  Happy Father's Day to you dudes out there!  I have been perusing the forum for a perfect country style ribs recipe, set up directions ... the whole thing.  Can't find much (i dont want to just do dizzy dust on the Hubs' ribs today!)  so i got real "country style" ones - there are no bones.  just not really sure what to do with them to make em fantastic.  ideas?

Comments

• Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    Because of the high fat content, I cook them to pulled pork temp.  I'll grill them like a steak for looks then let them smoke to a pulling temp.  I've done them with a Korean marinade, but that normally works overnight.  I've seen some OJ based marinades that work quickly for a pork tenderloin, but I haven't tried them on a country rib.  
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • Arkysmokin
    Arkysmokin Posts: 124
    I've done them a few times. Like ragtop99 said, cook them to 195-200 if they are country ribs from the shoulder. Should say on the label.

Live in Austin/From Arkansas

XL BGE

• Mosca
    Mosca Posts: 456
    edited June 2016
    http://bbqpitboys.com/recipes/southern-style-pork-barbecue-ribs#.V2q2u6KleWM

This is also how my mom did them 50 years ago, and how I do them today. Here in NEPA we get mostly the loin cut, with the little curved bone at one end.

• Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    edited June 2016
    In my area, anyway, "country style ribs" sometimes are a bit like slices of pork butt, and low and slow to a high internal temperature would be perfect, but sometimes I'm pretty sure there's loin in there, which gets dry if cooked to a high temp.  I hardly ever cook them for that reason -- I'm not sure by looking at them what cut of meat they are.

I have cooked them in the past, and they were good, and I cooked them a lot like regular ribs: low and slow till they probed tender, except that then I sauced them pretty heavily.  One time I followed a recipe I got on the original forum for "Easy Country Style Pork Ribs" and it was easy and good:

Description:
    My grandfather bought two or three Kamado grills in California back in the late 1950's. One of them was for my father, who used it to make ribs until water got into it and froze one winter, shattering the smoker about 1990 or so. It wasn't until 1998 that Dad found the BGE and got back to proper smoking. 

Dad's recipes were not as fancy and evolved as recipes get these days, with various rub recipes, brining, and a dozen other things we didn't know about (dad does do all that now). We didn't even have real charcoal then. But I would still stack my dad's country style ribs (which are of course more of a pork chop than a rib, really) against anybody, anywhere, who doesn't have a Kamado or BGE smoker. The advantage of this recipe is that it is fast, easy, the meat is ridiculously cheap and everyone, and I mean everyone, will love it.

Ingredients:

• 10 lb Country style pork ribs
    • 1 lb brown sugar
    • ½ Cup salt
    • 5 Cup BBQ sauce of your preference

Instructions:
    Mix the salt and brown sugar in a bowl. Put the ribs in one at a time and coat them with the mixture. Stack them up on a cookie sheet or similar.

Fill the BGE to the top of the fire ring with lump charcoal. Add any wood chips to your taste. I usually mix them up with the lump. Preheat the egg to 200-220 degrees. Place the ribs on the grid. Leave the temperature at this range for 2 hours, then turn the ribs. Additional turns at your discretion. Cook the ribs for at least 3.5 hours, but 4.5 would be better and 6 would be excellent. One hour before the ribs are done, coat the top of the ribs with your barbeque sauce. Allow that to dry on a bit for half an hour or so, flip the ribs, and coat the other side. Cook for the final 30 minutes, remove the ribs and allow to rest for 5 minutes before serving.

• NecessaryIndulg
    NecessaryIndulg Posts: 1,298
    ChristinaSunshine -- How did your Country Style ribs turn out? 

I just threw some on the LBGE but since this is my first time cooking them, I thought I should come on here and look for some advice. :)

I'd love to hear what you ended up doing. 
    Right now I am indirect at 300F -- rubbed with Cluck and Squeal Rib Formula.

I'm Kristi ~ Live in FL ~ BGE since 2003.
    I write about food & travel on Necessary Indulgences.  
    You can also find me on FacebookInstagram, and Twitter.
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Kristi I like to smoke (apple chunks) them indirect for an hour or so use rub of choice, then toss them in a glass pan with a 16oz bottle of Coke, cover tightly with foil. Back on the egg at same temp 300-350 check them in an couple of hours, I try to catch them just before they start to fall apart sauce then back on direct for a little char. This method can also be used to make small amounts of pulled pork just let it go longer in the pan until it can be pulled like PP. Kay loves Baby Backs this way also.

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Kristi I like to smoke (apple chunks) them indirect for an hour or so use rub of choice, then toss them in a glass pan with a 16oz bottle of Coke, cover tightly with foil. Back on the egg at same temp 300-350 check them in an couple of hours, I try to catch them just before they start to fall apart sauce then back on direct for a little char. This method can also be used to make small amounts of pulled pork just let it go longer in the pan until it can be pulled like PP. Kay loves Baby Backs this way also.
    I have never done them with a long method like this Jim......I will give them a try, as I am a big fan of the country ribs. Most importantly however....please give my best to Kay.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • NecessaryIndulg
    NecessaryIndulg Posts: 1,298
    Thanks Jupiter Jim

I ended up just winging it and we really enjoyed them.  I cooked them indirect at 300F until they were between 190-200 internal (a couple of hours).   The C&S rub made a nice crust and then I just tossed them in a BBQ sauce I made.  They were really good!  So good, I'll probably make them again this weekend! :) 

I'm Kristi ~ Live in FL ~ BGE since 2003.
    I write about food & travel on Necessary Indulgences.  
    You can also find me on FacebookInstagram, and Twitter.
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    One of my favorites.  
    Kristi - yours look tasty - thanks for sharing!!

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • ChristinaSunshine -- How did your Country Style ribs turn out? 

I just threw some on the LBGE but since this is my first time cooking them, I thought I should come on here and look for some advice. :)

I'd love to hear what you ended up doing. 
    Right now I am indirect at 300F -- rubbed with Cluck and Squeal Rib Formula.

Hi @NecessaryIndulg I cant believe I didn’t answer this! Better late than never 🤷🏻‍♀️  The ironic thing is … I am cooking some out there right now!  LOL.  S&P with Meat Church Texas Sweet.  I did indirect with a little apple and peach, an i put down a pan of apple juice and water underneath.  Keeping the dome at 250 (should be at 200-210, IMO - will do that next time, its just freezing here in the Ham and I couldn’t get it stabilized that low), they are on their 3rd hour right now, and they’re at about 180.  Will prob pull them at 190.  They were like butter last time and that is exactly how i did it.  Let me know where you got that cool grate!!!  have a great Sunday evening. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,174
    No comment on the cook approach other than  "If you like 'em you did it right."
    Regarding the grate, several years ago (before this thread first surfaced) the grate was made by Ceramic Grill Works out of Pittsburgh.  Long since out of business.  I owned their two-tier swing grate and it worked well but I moved on to The Ceramic Grill Store accessories.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.