Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chicken Breast Cook

Options
Had some family over for dinner last night and decided to try some chicken breasts with some corn. I got the adjustable rig as a fathers day gift so this was my 1st raised direct cook. Everything came out delicious. I cooked at/around 400. 

Comments

• Chief9
    Chief9 Posts: 141
    Options
    Looks good, what did you season the chicken with?
    Carrollton, Va
  • Wylecyot
    Wylecyot Posts: 203
    Options
    Looks great!
    Large BGE, Medium BGE, Kamado Joe Jr, 36" Blackstone Griddle Blackstone Tailgater and Roccbox owner/operator from Los Angeles
  • GrillnTX
    GrillnTX Posts: 65
    Options
    I used Obie-Cue's Sweet N' Heat on 4 of them and 2 I left plain for my 1 yr old. I don't really taste much heat but the brown sugar crust was really tasty!
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I cook at the felt, er, @RRP gasket line 99% of the time. 

You'll love raised direct and indirect for that matter. 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• GrillnTX
    Options
    TheBuckeye, are you saying my bottom grate should be on the lowest setting on the rig? I was also using my Maverick ET-733 and for some reason it wasn't notifying my when my grill temp was in/out of the range I'd set it to which made for some variable temp cooking. 
  • rmr62
    rmr62 Posts: 233
    Options
    Looks good!  I have a method for corn where I leave it in the shucks, cut off the ends, then soak in water for about 30 mins.  Put on egg, and I guess it basically steams from the cob out but inside husks, always turns out tender, juicy (I don't worry about grill marks)
    Lagrange, GA   LBGE
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    @GrillnTX I don't have the AR. I've got a PS Woo2 so I don't know. 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    Looks like a great cook. Raised direct adds new options to your cooks. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Options
    Looks delicious and congrats on the AR! I've gone to indirect for nearly every chicken cook these days. Keeps the entire piece tender and juicy. None of that stringy tough meat on the outside. When doing wings and spatchcock, I go about 425 indirect for crispy skin. Just do what makes you happy!

Your Maverick my not have been happy with a direct cook. I only use mine for low-n-slow to preserve the probe wires. 
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • kwdickert
    kwdickert Posts: 308
    Options
    You know, I swear by the process of hammering out chicken to an even thickness. It just makes chicken so much better. If you're blackening or cooking in the cast iron, it's even MORE important.
    Memphis TN - Large Green Egg
  • tonyled
    tonyled Posts: 536
    Options
    kwdickert said:
    You know, I swear by the process of hammering out chicken to an even thickness. It just makes chicken so much better. If you're blackening or cooking in the cast iron, it's even MORE important.
    i do the same
  • GrillnTX
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions. I love and eat a ton of chicken so I will keep experimenting. I'd like to try a spatchcock next. Lot's of trial and hopefully not too much error in my future!