Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

VI is a friggen genius

Mickey
Mickey Posts: 19,669
He made salsa. It is the best salsa I have ever had. Last night stuffed myself with chips. 
For lunch used it over pasta!

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

Comments

• Turk2011
    Turk2011 Posts: 65
    Good salsa is hard to find 
    Swampeast , MO  XL 2013  MM 2015
  • Wylecyot
    Wylecyot Posts: 203
    I miss seeing his posts here.  I learned a lot from VI.  His bbq sauce recipe is absolutely killer!
    Large BGE, Medium BGE, Kamado Joe Jr, 36" Blackstone Griddle Blackstone Tailgater and Roccbox owner/operator from Los Angeles
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    I was just reading an old thread of his about yuzu kosho shrimp a couple of hours ago. I miss his Asian cooks.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    edited June 2016
    "VI is a genius"... that's rather oxymoronic, no?

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Hokie_Smoker
    Hokie_Smoker Posts: 662
    Wylecyot said:
    I miss seeing his posts here.  I learned a lot from VI.  His bbq sauce recipe is absolutely killer!

I miss his posts too.  I must have overlooked his BBQ sauce recipe.  Can you post a link, I'd love to try it?  TIA.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Johnson, Navin R... Sounds like a typical bastard.

Belmont, NC

• Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Miss VI's post too.   He one hell of a very good cook. Still have (and use miserly) the vanillas he made
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Ditto, miss VI.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    So where is he? I miss him here.

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Aviator said:
    So where is he? I miss him here.
    He is keeping Austin loose, and occasionally accompanying me to the gun range and lunch. 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Stormbringer
    Stormbringer Posts: 2,007
    Is there a link to his BBQ sauce recipe?
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    | Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire
    | My food blog ... BGE and other stuff ... http://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------

• Phatchris
    Phatchris Posts: 1,726
    edited June 2016
  • Hokie_Smoker
    Hokie_Smoker Posts: 662
    Thanks for posting @Phatchris

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Johnson, Navin R... Sounds like a typical bastard.

Belmont, NC

• SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    A pic jarred or not over food could show what's in that nice salsa.
    Seattle, WA
  • NecessaryIndulg
    NecessaryIndulg Posts: 1,298
    Agreed.  His Worcestershire sauce is incredible, too. 
    I'm Kristi ~ Live in FL ~ BGE since 2003.
    I write about food & travel on Necessary Indulgences.  
    You can also find me on FacebookInstagram, and Twitter.
  • Wylecyot
    Wylecyot Posts: 203
    Here is the BBQ Sauce.  Be sure to try it with peach nectar when using on pork.  Also, the longer you let it simmer the thicker it will become.  Enjoy!

Ingredients:

1 28 oz. bottle Hunt's Ketchup

1 19 oz. bottle Jack Daniel's Honey Smokehouse BBQ Sauce

1 can Rotel, Mexican Lime & Cilantro

1 medium Onion , chopped

2 tablespoons Garlic, minced

2 cups Brown sugar, or 1 c Splenda Brown 

1/2 cup Texas BBQ Rub

2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce

2 tablespoons Mustard, Yellow prepared

1/4 cup Chili powder

1/2 cup Pineapple juice

2 bottles Water, from Empty ketchup bottle

1 can Water, from empty Rotel can

1 bottle Water, from empty BBQ sauce bottle

Directions:

1. Mix ketchup, BBQ sauce, Rotel and chili powder in a large pot.  Start cooking on the stove at medium temp.  Add the water (you will get out all of the extra sauce from the bottles this way).  Stir in garlic and brown sugar .  Stir in the rub.  Add the chopped onion, worchestershire sauce, and mustard.  Bring sauce to a boil then reduce heat to a simmer.  Add pineapple juice.  Let simmer for at least 1 hour (longer is better).  I usually simmer mine for about 2 hours.

2. Serve as a side dish for those who ask for it.  Use it in the brisket recipe.

3. Makes about 4 quarts.  You will use some of it to finish off the brisket and the other to serve.  Keeps for days in the frig.

4. For BBQ sauce for pork, delete the Rotel and put in 1 can of Peach Nectar.

Large BGE, Medium BGE, Kamado Joe Jr, 36" Blackstone Griddle Blackstone Tailgater and Roccbox owner/operator from Los Angeles
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Yeah, what has become of VI anyhow?
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon