Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

A GREAT week for me.

Options
Wow! This has been a fun week for me, I have a Pelican 65 and a Vacmaster VP210 on the way. Seriously considered the VP215 but the oil changes on the pump are not convenient in the area it will be used, and the beast is too heavy for an old f^rt like me with bad knees to carry to the garage for servicing. Appears they will both arrive Friday.
A poor widows son.
See der Rabbits, Iowa

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Good work 21st century hunter-gathering job there nephew!
    Options
    The 215 would seem to have longevity like a Duramax Diesel but, the maint free aspect and lighter weight makes the 210 appealing. The unit has solid commercial reviews. You'll surely enjoy both of these purchased items. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,512
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Congrats on the new toys, you'll love the chamber sealer.

FWIW, I have the vp215, not sure if I'm older/weaker than you but there's no way in hell I can carry the beast by myself.  It sits permanently on a steel cart. To change the oil I simply raise and rest each corner on wood blocks, you don't need a lot of clearance, see photos. vp210 is plenty for home use though, I believe it can also handle larger bags than vp215, but I got sold on the oil pump  :)

Edit: OTOH, I bought a Pelican 65 on impulse at Costco couple of years ago, ended up selling it brand new because it was too heavy for my weak back even when empty!
    canuckland
  • bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,188
    Options
    I do not have enough kitchen counter space for the vac sealer so it must go in a room with carpet on my coffee bar, hence no oil changes there.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • nolan8v
    nolan8v Posts: 400
    Options
    Any tips regarding settings (vac/seal/cool)for the VP215 for chicken/fish/fruits and vegetables?
    "You can live in any city in America, but New Orleans is the only city that lives in you."
    Chris Rose 

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,512
    edited July 2016
    Options
    @nolan8v , here's my approach...

vac time - set to at least 40-50 to start. I watch the gauge, generally wait till the needle hits the max (end of green zone) and hit the manual stop. If sealing multiple bags of the same item I note the vac time and set it so I can let the rest stop automatically,  For delicate food I stop before hitting max.

seal time - this depends on the thickness (3mm, 4mm..) of the bag; also allow more time if wet.  I'm usually in the 1.2 to 1.4 range; however for recycled milk bags (yes they come in plastic bags here!) I use 1.1 or 1.2

cool time - I set it to 2.5 constant. 

btw, don't forget the oil change ;)
    canuckland
  • bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,188
    Options
    @nolan8vCanugghead posted. I use mine mostly for drier things, coffee beans and nuts, but would think that the more delicate things you asked about should not go full vac cycle for fear of damaging the texture later. Steaks would be OK full cycle and probably chicken breast but I think fish, fruits and veggies may be an issue.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa