Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BGE Mini Max or KJ "JR"?

Options

Comments

• Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options
    I have a MM that I won at an Eggfest, I have only used it as a grill for steak and wings, I like it very much. Don't think I would shell out the $500.00 for one though, here are my dislikes with it, very heavy, needs a table of some kind, holds less lump than a small. I have a small in the Motor Home and I can load and unload it without help and roll it around in the nest when camping. The MM takes the wife and I to load and unload and is very difficult to get into the same hatch I keep the small in. I have not used the mini since I brought the MM home. I just don't like the red color of the KJ, have no doubt that it's a great product though, so if I was in your shoes I would just get a small BGE. Good luck with your decision.

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options

Few things, no issues with temp or heat on mine. I lit my fire and 10 mins later I was at 600 that was with no platesetter.

I've done pizzas 0 problems.

I've hauled it on vacation, nice cooker for 6 or so.

cooking for my daughters class today, I'm walking it a block to the park in a wagon so we will see how that goes.

yes my mini has been ignored since the MM only getting used very little.

good luck.

Seattle, WA
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Lit said:
    Please get the KJ. I would trade my MM with woo and plate setter for a KJ Jr in a second. 
    Wanna trade? 
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    SkinnyV said:
    Dat KJ stand tho......MM wins,
    I thought folks like the Jr stand better, especially if it sits on the ground.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Lit said:
    Please get the KJ. I would trade my MM with woo and plate setter for a KJ Jr in a second. 
    Wanna trade? 
    I will most likely sell it if I do decide to get rid of it. I can get $400 for the MM on CL and just get a new JR when the roadshow comes back around. From someone who has used the JR and MM both a good amount and side by side I'm telling you the JR is a superior cooker.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,171
    Options
    @Lit I hear the MM performs better if you burn Rockwood...
  • Lit
    Options

I knew I was missing something
  • Tspud1
    Tspud1 Posts: 1,486
    Options
    tonyled said:
    i looked at both and went with kj jr for value.  quality wise its every bit as good as a mini max and quite a bit cheaper.  i have no regrets

Same with me, got mine at Costco Road Show last year
  • Jellyworm
    Jellyworm Posts: 96
    Options
    I too am in the process of buying another egg for my in town location and the Costco road show is on now at my location.  After reading all the info above I will probably by the Jr.  My question is can you cook a rack of ribs or a pork butt on a MM or Jr.  I will buy a medium if the answer is no as I want to cook more than hamburgers or steaks on it.  
    Large BGE
    Houston, TX
  • SkinnyV
    Options
    You can cook a pork butt on a mini so the answer is yes. A rack of ribs...one rack strategically placed.
    Seattle, WA
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options

classic!  style points for you!

OP: seriously, if we didn't talk about things like MM vs KJ jr, or lump, or how i light the egg, fridays would stink.  we'd just drink bourbon and yell.
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • Jupiter Jim
    Options
    Lit said:
    Lit said:
    Wanna trade? 
    I will most likely sell it if I do decide to get rid of it. I can get $400 for the MM on CL and just get a new JR when the roadshow comes back around. From someone who has used the JR and MM both a good amount and side by side I'm telling you the JR is a superior cooker.
    Wish I would have had some $$$$ on this one! I would have bet some serious money that you wouldn't trade it as stated. :)

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• Lit
    Options
    Lit said:
    Lit said:
    Wanna trade? 
    Wish I would have had some $$$$ on this one! I would have bet some serious money that you wouldn't trade it as stated. :)
    I am still trading one for the other I just want one that has a warranty.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,344
    Options
    Lit said:
    Lit said:
    Lit said:
    Wanna trade? 
    Kamado Joe is not so hung up on the warranty applying only to the original owner.

The head honcho of KJ has said on a different forum that they (KJ) don't really care if the person filing for a warranty is the first owner and that if a ceramic part breaks they'll send a replacement regardless.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• bgeaddikt
    bgeaddikt Posts: 503
    Options
    What about 2 MM vs a kj?  =)

Austin, Tx
  • Lit
    Options
    bgeaddikt said:
    What about 2 MM vs a kj?  =)

You could have had 3 KJs.
  • Jupiter Jim
    Options
    Lit said:
    Lit said:
    Lit said:
    Wanna trade? 
    Funny how the in a second changes once you have a solid offer for what you said you would do! Like I said wish I had some $$$$$ on the first statement.

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• Jupiter Jim
    Options
    I have had no problem with getting quick high temps with Royal Oak! Oh but I have a Kick Ash basket in the MM.

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• Lit
    Options
    Lit said:
    Lit said:
    Lit said:
    Wanna trade? 
    Funny how the in a second changes once you have a solid offer for what you said you would do! Like I said wish I had some $$$$$ on the first statement.
    I don't need a solid offer the road show is 15 minutes from my office this week why would I settle for a used one when I can get a brand new one. 
  • Lit
    Options
    I have had no problem with getting quick high temps with Royal Oak! Oh but I have a Kick Ash basket in the MM.
    That's great 2 other members that post here regularly stated they have the same issue this week that the MM comes to temp slow. I have to hold the heat gun to the lump for 10 minutes and get the whole firebox going or it takes a half hour plus before it gets to 350.
  • Jupiter Jim
    Options
    Lit said:
    Lit said:
    Lit said:
    Lit said:
    Wanna trade? 
    I don't need a solid offer the road show is 15 minutes from my office this week why would I settle for a used one when I can get a brand new one. 
    Ok you win! don't want to hurt your feelings but what you are doing is not what your first statement said you would do. In my world trading one item for another is not selling one item and then taking the money from the sale and purchasing another. But you win and are trading your MM for  KJ jr 

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• Lit
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Lit said:
    Lit said:
    Lit said:
    Lit said:
    Wanna trade? 
    Ok you win! don't want to hurt your feelings but what you are doing is not what your first statement said you would do. In my world trading one item for another is not selling one item and then taking the money from the sale and purchasing another. But you win and are trading your MM for  KJ jr 
    You know what it doesn't really matter the whole point was the OP would most likely be better off with a small egg or a KJ jr.
  • Jupiter Jim
    Options
    Lit said:
    Lit said:
    Lit said:
    Lit said:
    Lit said:
    Wanna trade? 
    You know what it doesn't really matter the whole point was the OP would most likely be better off with a small egg or a KJ jr.

I can completely agree with you on that statement. Peace my friend. :)

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Lit said:
    That's great 2 other members that post here regularly stated they have the same issue this week that the MM comes to temp slow. I have to hold the heat gun to the lump for 10 minutes and get the whole firebox going or it takes a half hour plus before it gets to 350.
    That would really irritate me.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • bgeaddikt
    bgeaddikt Posts: 503
    Options
    Looks like this chatter is getting hotter then any egg  ;)
    Austin, Tx
  • SkinnyV
    edited June 2016
    Options

I feel compelled to a pictoral on the MM hitting 400 degrees with no problem within 12-15 minutes. We can lay the issue to rest.

hauled mine today for a pre school potluck. I was up cooking and 400 degrees in no time. Kicked out 45 hot dogs in 25 minutes or so.

I will say I used leftover lump for the cook today.

Seattle, WA
  • Captain_Paul
    Captain_Paul Posts: 138
    Options
    Lit said:
    Lit said:
    Why? 
    The MM is slow to come to temp. The platesetter is so close when you go indirect the radiant heat from the platesetter can overcook the side of the food facing it. It doesn't react like other eggs at all where I would do pizzas in the large or XL at 500-550 at those temps my crusts burn on the MM and my toppings are not done. The only thing the shrinked design like the MM is good for is searing and with the air flow issues it takes forever to get it hot enough to sear. I had a small egg and a KJ Jr before the MM and would take either over the MM. I walked by the JR at roadshows in my local Costco and at the Costco in the town over in the last couple weeks and it was hard not getting the KJ and putting the MM on CL. I consider the MM one of my worst egg related purchases ever.
    What do you mean the plate setter is close? To what? Do you mean the legs holding the grate up are short making the grate close the the PS?  Is the Jr that much bigger?
    LBGE, Minimax
    Owensboro, Kentucky
    Go Cats!
  • SkinnyV
    Options

Easy pizzas....yes my upper stone was smaller but no burning or other problems.. Someone else had successful pizza cooks using the 12" stone also. No issue.

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1177863/mini-max-pizza-test-drive#latest

Seattle, WA
  • Lit
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Lit said:
    Lit said:
    Why? 
    The MM is slow to come to temp. The platesetter is so close when you go indirect the radiant heat from the platesetter can overcook the side of the food facing it. It doesn't react like other eggs at all where I would do pizzas in the large or XL at 500-550 at those temps my crusts burn on the MM and my toppings are not done. The only thing the shrinked design like the MM is good for is searing and with the air flow issues it takes forever to get it hot enough to sear. I had a small egg and a KJ Jr before the MM and would take either over the MM. I walked by the JR at roadshows in my local Costco and at the Costco in the town over in the last couple weeks and it was hard not getting the KJ and putting the MM on CL. I consider the MM one of my worst egg related purchases ever.
    What do you mean the plate setter is close? To what? Do you mean the legs holding the grate up are short making the grate close the the PS?  Is the Jr that much bigger?

The legs on the platesetter are like an inch or maybe even less. The heat coming off the platesetter is way hotter than your dome is reading and hotter than the air at the top of whatever you are cooking so you end yp with uneven cooking unless you flip whatever you are cooking.

Yes the KJ and the small egg have I would guess 4" seperation between the platesetter and your cooking grate when indirect. The JR doesn't have a platesetter they come with a device like the woo from the ceramic grill store with a stone for indirect but it's still like 4" seperation. 
  • Lit
    Options
    SkinnyV said:

Easy pizzas....yes my upper stone was smaller but no burning or other problems.. Someone else had successful pizza cooks using the 12" stone also. No issue.

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1177863/mini-max-pizza-test-drive#latest

I have f.gured out pizzas as well. I have to run them at dome between 300-350 to get them all to finish top and bottoms at the same time. I have cooked pizzas on every sized egg except the XXL and I would say I have done atleast 250 pizzas on eggs and the MM was by far the hardest to figure out. All the others cook the same