Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Burgers

Options
paqman
paqman Posts: 4,670
Best burgers in a long time.  Just plain beef and salt. 

Topping: cream cheese, lettuce, tomatoes, ketchup, mustard, mayo and chopped koolickles.

Grilled direct on the mini-max.

Comments

• bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    Oh yeah, I could go for one of them!

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Ditto @bhedges1987! Love the cream cheese idea. 
  • Gunnar
    Gunnar Posts: 2,307
    Options
    First time I've seen koolickles......then again I lead a sheltered life. Googled them, how do they taste?
    LBGE      Katy (Houston) TX
  • paqman
    Options
    @pgprescott Cream cheese on burgers is fairly common around here.  You should try it, it's good.

@Gunnar I have seen and tasted koolickles for the first time about a year ago in a local BBQ restaurant.  They make fried koolickles, this is apparently popular in the south...  The waiter insisted that we try them. Definitely weird; it took us a few times trying them before deciding if we liked them or not.  We now order them every time we go.  They taste like??? Kool-aid marinated pickles... I always have a jar hanging in the beer fridge now.  I purchase a jar of dill pickles remove them from the brine, slice them, add kool-aid to the brine, put the pickles back in the brine and wait a few weeks.  They are fantastic as a burger topping chopped in mayo.

Options
    Born, raised, and still live in Alabama. Have never heard of koolickles. I have ate my fair share of fried pickles though. 

Burgers look great. I love the idea of cream cheese.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• Hairless_Hand
    Options
    Koolickles sound interesting. What flavor kool-aid do you use?
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Great looking burgers brother!!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • paqman
    Options
    @Hairless_Hand Cherry 

edited June 2016
    Options
    @paqman
    Sometimes it's hard to beat a simple burger. They happen to be one of my personal favorites. The Burger Gods approve my friend. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• DTEgg
    DTEgg Posts: 93
    Options
    Now I am hungry for a cheeseburger!
    LBGE
  • dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    Options
    paqman ...someone stole your picture and put someone elses on your posts !!!

Burgers sound and look great !!!

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Mighty fine burgers!

Those Koolickles sound like they're worth trying. How big a jar of pickles, and how much cherry Kool-Aid?

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • wbradking
    wbradking Posts: 351
    Options
    I think Koolickles are a Mississippi Delta thang.
    Franklin, TN
    Large BGE+PSWoo2
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    I'll take my Cream Cheese with a touch of Burger!  =)
    New Albany, Ohio 

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,890
    Options
    paqman said:

I purchase a jar of dill pickles remove them from the brine, slice them, add kool-aid to the brine, put the pickles back in the brine and wait a few weeks.  They are fantastic as a burger topping chopped in mayo.
    Fry them as well? What flavor Kool-Aid? I have a jar of stackers in the back go the frig going to waste now that I found McClure's Sweet and Spicy sliced picked, so for the price of some Kool-Aid then I might as well try it!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • paqman
    Options
    SGH said:
    @paqman
    Sometimes it's hard to beat a simple burger. They happen to be one of my personal favorites. The Burger Gods approve my friend. 
    @SGH Thank you my friend, that means a lot

Options

dldawes1 said:

@dldawes1 I changed my picture.  The only one here who might know why is @caliking

Options
    caliking said:
    Mighty fine burgers!

Those Koolickles sound like they're worth trying. How big a jar of pickles, and how much cherry Kool-Aid?
    @caliking I usually put half a jar of kool-aid in a 1 litre jar of pickles and I could probably add some more.  I'd say put as much as the brine can take.  After I add the kool-aid, the brine becomes opaque.  After a week or so, the pickles are soaking all the color and it becomes translucent again.

Options

RRP said:
    paqman said:

I purchase a jar of dill pickles remove them from the brine, slice them, add kool-aid to the brine, put the pickles back in the brine and wait a few weeks.  They are fantastic as a burger topping chopped in mayo.
    Fry them as well? What flavor Kool-Aid? I have a jar of stackers in the back go the frig going to waste now that I found McClure's Sweet and Spicy sliced picked, so for the price of some Kool-Aid then I might as well try it!
    @RRP I use cherry kool-aid.  See above for more details.  I'm starting a new batch tomorrow; I'll post a thread and include more precise measurements.

Options
    paqman...Couldn't resist...started a batch of koolickles last night.

Yep, the wife thinks I'm crazier, even more than the day before !!!!!

Thanks friend.

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    paqman said:

dldawes1 said:

@dldawes1 I changed my picture.  The only one here who might know why is @caliking
    Haha! I may indeed be the only one. Well @Aviator might know. 

+1 for starting a new thread about Koolickles. I didn't even know Kool-Aid came in jars, so an estimate of what proportions to use would be great. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,052
    Options
    Great looking burgers!  I, too, am a fan of just burger meat and salt. 
  • NonaScott
    NonaScott Posts: 446
    Options
    http://www.seriouseats.com/2013/04/how-to-make-koolickles-kool-aid-pickles-memphis-tennessee.html
    Google is your friend. I have had these many time but have never made them.
    Narcoossee, FL

LBGE, Nest, Mates, Plate Setter, Ash Tool. I'm a simple guy.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,890
    Options
    paqman said:

RRP said:
    paqman said:

@RRP I use cherry kool-aid.  See above for more details.  I'm starting a new batch tomorrow; I'll post a thread and include more precise measurements.
    Thank you - still standing by...just glad I didn't hold my breath waiting!  =)=)=)
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • dldawes1
    Options
    RRP....FYI,

I bought a 1-gal size jar of whole dill pickles. I drained the brine out into a pitcher, emptied the pickles out into a large bowl and then sliced them in 1/4's.  
    I put the brine back into the pickle jar, put in one pkg of cherry koolaid, and 1- cup of sugar. Stirred it up, then put the pickle spears back in. 

I'm on day 3.....turning the jar over and shaking a little to mix,  each day.

They are coming along very well. 

I'll post a pic this evening when I get home from work. 

I can't wait to try them !!!!

Thanks again for posting paqman....I know me and the grandkids will love them this coming weekend !!!!  Will also use as a side in the Carrollton's Hottest Dog Contest 2016 !!!!!!

• Mantoothian
    Options
    @paqman did you get your MM super hot to grill these? I have struggled to find the right temp for burgers...
    Denver, CO
  • dldawes1
    Options
    RRP....sorry for the delay. I've been in suicide intervention training for two days.

I just opened up the koolickles  !!!

• paqman
    Options
    @paqman did you get your MM super hot to grill these? I have struggled to find the right temp for burgers...
    @Mantoothian Sorry for the late reply, I did not get notified of your post...  The temp on the MM was somewhere between 350-400F.  I left them long enough to get a sear mark before turning them for the first time (at this point, they don't stick to the grill anymore).  After that, I turned them often.

Options
    @dldawes1 I'll post a Koolickle thread in a few minutes.  If you leave them in the brine for a few more weeks, they will be red throughout.

Options
    paqman ....I couldn't wait too long...I had to tear into them on the fifth day !!!!  

I appreciate you sharing this discussion....I really like the koolickles !!

I'm going to use them to compliment my entry in the Carrollton's Hottest Dog Contest this coming Friday !!