Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

London Broil

Overall pretty good, got a little burnt because of marinade (store bought bday gift). Pulled at 130 next time will pull at 125. Let rest for 15 min under foil then chowed down, kids and dog approved lol.

Comments

• Hotwingking
    Hotwingking Posts: 279
    Nice pile of sandwich meat
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    I hear you, my friend! London Broil is my favorite of beef favorites. In fact I have a recipe that I hold so special that I only make it twice a year! And the great thing is one of those times is coming up in early July!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    @Hotwingking:  Gorgeous meat!  Great job!

@RRP: so what's the special-only-twice-a-year recipe???  Inquiring minds want to know!  :)
  • RRP

RRP’s London Broil

Background & Disclaimer: Over 30 years ago someone shared this basic recipe with my wife, Pat. We have no idea of the origin – hence no credit can be given. On the other hand I have tweaked it over the years and have adapted it to grilling on the Big Green Egg.  To this very day it is my favorite meal and I reserve it for my birthday meal plus a couple other special occasion celebrations each year.

Needed:

1 flank steak around 1.25 to 2 pounds

2 T garlic infused EVOO

3 t dried chopped parsley flakes

3 or 4 fresh garlic cloves chopped fine

½ t salt

2 t lemon juice

¼ t fresh ground pepper (12 grinds)

Using a sharp knife trim any excess fat. Scrape off the fine membrane on the one side. Rinse under cold running water and then dry. Option here: I use a Jaccard to assure my flank steak is tender. Combine the above ingredients, and mix well. Lay meat on a piece of Saran wrap and spread the mixture evenly on both sides. Since a flank steak has a strong grain pattern to it with a stringy texture I work the mixture into the meat using the backside of a spoon. Finish wrapping with more Saran wrap and then seal tightly in a food safe plastic bag compressing out air. Refrigerate for at least 24 hours, though 30 is better and 48 is best and do not disturb it!

Next day:

Sauté 8 oz of sliced white button mushrooms in 1/3 stick of real butter and salt to taste and sit aside, but do not drain! (BTW lately the sliced mushrooms are thicker than they used to be so I find they work with this meal better when further sliced in half while still raw.)

In a saucepan create the following au jus:

2 T Heinz Chili Sauce

a pinch of marjoram

a pinch of thyme

a generous pinch of hickory smoked salt

2 generous dashes of Tabasco

2 generous dashes of Worcestershire

5 oz of Burgundy

1 beef bouillon cube

2 oz of water

sprinkle of salt and fresh ground pepper

Optional: ½ t of flour (add the flour to a T of hot water from the tap so that it will dissolve)

Mix these ingredients well and add several slices of onions, broken apart and left as rings or cut in half. Simmer the pot until it starts the fine bubble stage. At this point add the mushrooms and their liquid and stir well. This can be done in advance, left to cool and refrigerate until time to reheat and serve with the meal.

Grilling the meat:

Flank steak is thin and if overcooked it will become tough very quickly.

Remove meat from refrigerator and place on counter for at least 2 hours before grilling time.

Fire up your BGE and stabilize at 650 to 700 degrees dome as you will be grilling direct. Unwrap the meat and quickly place on the grill for a mere 2 minutes for first side, flip for 2 more minutes and  remove the meat as the cooking is done!

Quickly cut the meat across the grain in thin strips of ¼” to 3/8” slices. Prepare the plates with meat and garnish with the warm au jus/mushroom mixture. We love this meal with mashed potatoes also garnished with the mixture.

I just hope you enjoy this recipe as much as we do. BTW I love any leftovers just cold and eaten over the kitchen sink the next day!    Ron Pratt, aka RRP in Dunlap, IL

Yes - I turn 72 on my body odometer in July and rest assured this will be my meal that night!

• Hotwingking
    Hotwingking Posts: 279
    RRP thank you for the recipe, sounds and looks delicious. 
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    edited June 2016
    Thanks, @RRP -- I'll definitely try that -- it sounds spectacular!
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Is flank steak the same as london broil?

Thanks for the recipe Ron @RRP
    Phoenix 
  • RRP
    blasting said:
    Is flank steak the same as london broil?

Thanks for the recipe Ron @RRP
    https://www.reference.com/food/difference-between-london-broil-flank-steak-45ba874c8211beba
  • NonaScott
    NonaScott Posts: 446
    edited June 2016
    I think it is kind of regional as far as what cut they call it. In central Florida it is always thick cut top round at Publix. Flank steak is called flank steak.same at Costco 
    Narcoossee, FL

LBGE, Nest, Mates, Plate Setter, Ash Tool. I'm a simple guy.
  • Codfish
    Codfish Posts: 42
    What a wonderful meal, hope my invite is in the mail. Thanks for sharing.
  • yljkt
    yljkt Posts: 799
    Gotta be a regional thing. Flank steak and London Broil is very different where I'm at. Flank wins every time. I've had London Broil that I would use as a wheel chock. 
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Beautiful steak cooked to perfection!  Bravo brother!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga