Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Joetisserie on Steroids!

WeberWho
WeberWho Posts: 11,024
edited June 2016 in EggHead Forum
My wife, pup, and I went to the world's largest turkey bbq in the town of Aneta, North Dakota. Population of 250 residents. A friend and egger that goes by @rah heads this turkey nirvana. 312 turkeys cooked at one time! This was our 3rd time making the trip out and checking out the process. It's truly amazing watching them work their magic. I worry about cooking 1 turkey at Thanksgiving but just imagine cooking 311 more to feed 2,500 people! I know I've posted similar posts about this in the past but it's truly one of the coolest things to see and watch if you're any type of grilling enthusiast. Another outstanding plate of grub and hats off to rah and his talented family/crew!!! Here is some pics of the town and turkeys

"The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota

Comments

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Wow!  That is way cool.  Quite a lot of prep and work!  Looks like fun!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Nice post V.  Would love to attend this someday.  
    Have rah's postcard with him tending the spit, in my kitchen.  
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,344
    The itemized list left off how many bags of briquettes it takes to roti 312 turkeys. :)
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,830
    Very cool.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    edited June 2016
    Where'd everyone come from?! They cooked 100 more turkeys than they have people!! =)

Aneta/Population, 2013

EDIT, I neglected to say... How cool is that?! :bow:

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,357
    Hope it doesn't rain hard on that event, cool stuff. 
    Jacksonville FL
  • NonaScott
    NonaScott Posts: 446
    That's impressive. What do they use to spin the rotisserie?
    Narcoossee, FL

LBGE, Nest, Mates, Plate Setter, Ash Tool. I'm a simple guy.
  • StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,745
    That is just awesome. Way cooler than Lee's Testicle Festival, I'll bet. Thanks for sharing this awesome event.
    Stillwater, MN
  • Any idea how many cooks there are?
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    I've seen that on TV a couple of years ago. Very cool for you to be able to see it in person!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Very cool. Thanks for the post and pictures......one day we might go
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,646
    Uhhhh...... WOW! 

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• That is mind-blowing!
    Flint, Michigan
  • bgeaddikt
    bgeaddikt Posts: 503
    WOW! I dont know what else to say but WOW.
    Austin, Tx
  • Gunnar
    Gunnar Posts: 2,307
    Looks like I over spent on the BGE...not sure the wife could handle the cinder blocks though...very cool...
    LBGE      Katy (Houston) TX
  • WeberWho
    HeavyG said:
    The itemized list left off how many bags of briquettes it takes to roti 312 turkeys. :)
    @HeavyG I think they had 3 possibly 4 pallets of of charcoal on hand. I thought I read somewhere that 48 Kingsford bags in a pallet. I would guess 144/18lb bags minimum on hand. That's a lot of charcoal!
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • WeberWho
    Where'd everyone come from?! They cooked 100 more turkeys than they have people!! =)

Aneta/Population, 2013

EDIT, I neglected to say... How cool is that?! :bow:
    @Carolina Q This was 56th annual turkey bbq in Aneta. It has become a big celebration for the town. Many family reunions, class reunions, and surrounding communities come out to have 2,500 person picnic in the park. Without going out and looking I noticed South Dakota, Minnesota, Wisconsin, and Nebraska plates on cars around the park. Others have come from Europe to come check out the festival if I'm not mistaking. It has become a yearly tradition for many folks

Minnesota
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,318
    Great event.  Thanks for the post, I'm sure it was quite a unique experience.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • WeberWho
    Dobie said:
    Hope it doesn't rain hard on that event, cool stuff. 
    @Dobie They had some rain at the beginning of the fest and had to keep adding charcoal to keep it going. They were a little worried on the charcoal consumption when adding extra bags to keep the fire lit. Especially when it's 2 hour round trip to grab more pallets of charcoal. The rain wasn't enough to put any tarps up and it turned out to be a beautiful rest of the day. In the last 56 years they've only had to go indoors once for the festival.

Minnesota
  • WeberWho
    NonaScott said:
    That's impressive. What do they use to spin the rotisserie?
    @NonaScott Here is a picture of the motors that run the rotisserie 

Minnesota
  • WeberWho
    edited June 2016
    Any idea how many cooks there are?
    @charlieb Rah's team had around 8 people during the cook. One of the biggest challenges is getting the spits connected together. To connect each spit you have to shut off the motor to connect them together. Each time you shut the motor off to connect a spit you have turkeys that aren't spinning. So everything needs to be connected quickly to prevent hot spots on the turkeys. The first spits will cook and finish ealier than the spits towards the end. To prevent the first spits from being overcooked his team will remove the cement blocks to keep them even with the spits around them. Rah and his daughter will check internal temps of the turkey and mark a line with chalk on the cement blocks to indicate which ones are done and which ones need more time. When each turkey has a line of chalk on the block the spit can be removed and brought to be carved. It's a really cool process to see.

Minnesota
  • WeberWho
    edited June 2016
    caliking said:
    I've seen that on TV a couple of years ago. Very cool for you to be able to see it in person!
    @caliking I'll have to see if I can find that clip. It would be fun to see. The turkey bbq festival is as "American  Pie" as it gets. 2,500 people in the park eating great food with family and friends. Really neat to see. 

Minnesota
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,569
    Thanks for posting... That is cool.. Love your pup..
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Do they leave the cinder blocks there year round? You KNOW the grass underneath looks like a prairie fire swept through!

Found this pic from 2015. That's some plate of turkey!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• WeberWho
    Thanks for posting... That is cool.. Love your pup..
    @johnmitchell Much appreciated! I wasn't sure how the little knucklehead would do with a 5.5 hour car ride. Ended up being 7 with traffic/construction. He actually did really well. We took the spare car that my mother-in-law was going to junk but we took in and fixed for a few hundred bucks. Still has a good motor and transmission.  So it keeps the miles off our cars. The downfall....the air conditioning is out. So it was a warm 90 degree 6 hour drive home. We made 3-4 stops on the way home to keep the pup refreshed and relieved. He did awesome overall. He kept himself busy at the park. 

Minnesota
  • WeberWho
    Do they leave the cinder blocks there year round? You KNOW the grass underneath looks like a prairie fire swept through!

Found this pic from 2015. That's some plate of turkey!

@Carolina Q The cinder blocks are stored at a local farm when not being used if I'm not mistaking. To help protect the ground they lay tin foil at the base. 

All you can eat turkey! They got some big farm boys that can eat out that way. I think RAH had 3-4 guys that were 6' 7"+ that helped him out with turkeys

Minnesota