Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

FRIGGIN MAGGOT

Options
fishlessman
fishlessman Posts: 32,767
edited June 2016 in EggHead Forum
thats what dad says when something goes wrong.

lamb proscuitto didnt make it past 30 days after the salt. all was looking good until last week when the string broke and it crashed to the floor. next time wire it up. must have split into the moister tissue. this week MAGGOT

was starting to LOOK like prosciutto, SMELLED like prosciutto, TASTED like prosciutto...well i didnt go that far ;)
friggin maggot

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it

Comments

• Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    Well that stinks big time. Back on the horse
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • fishlessman
    Options
    Jstroke said:
    this fall when things start to chill up again =) probably would get more responce with this post if i posted the pics with the maggots =)=)
    fukahwee maine

• Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    Options
    meh.  still edible.

hahaha

actually...  the peppering of many hanging meats comes from an attempt to shoo the flies, not because people like peppered ham.

your recipe just said to hang?

i have done that with bresaola and not had any issues.

[social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Jstroke said:
    this fall when things start to chill up again =) probably would get more responce with this post if i posted the pics with the maggots =)=)
    I looked and looked at that pic, and swear I saw one. Was almost certain that you would post a maggot pic.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • fishlessman
    edited June 2016
    Options
    meh.  still edible.

hahaha

actually...  the peppering of many hanging meats comes from an attempt to shoo the flies, not because people like peppered ham.

your recipe just said to hang?

i have done that with bresaola and not had any issues.

it said net for the first couple days, hung some cheese cloth, no pepper. im sure it happened from the string breaking from the somewhat sharp hole i drilled thru the bone the impact split some meat off the bone =) it was interesting that there was no rotten meat smell comeing from it that you usually get when there is maggots, nice clean proscuitto aroma. oh what the hell, the maggot shot =)

caliking made me do it ;)
    fukahwee maine

• Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    no need to toss the whole thing, unless the maggots got all the way up thru it

[social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• fishlessman
    Options
    no need to toss the whole thing, unless the maggots got all the way up thru it

2/3 way following the bone, planned on saving it if i could cut the bottom off, was past the halfway point befor figuring it was a gonna. next one gets the pepper and its getting wired. temps were still nice, about 60 degrees and good humidity, had a light mold that wiped off with salty vinegar per the directions after the first week that did not return. fan running, window screened. kerplunk on the floor did not help, maybe should have resalted the wounds
    fukahwee maine

• Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    Yeah

too bad

how long was the time under salt? I know you jammed salt in the joint. Really need to pack it in there. I would go a day per pound or 7 days minimum

• fishlessman
    Options
    7.8 pounder, recipe had an 8 pounder  and went 4 days, mine was in 4 days and maybe 20 hours. after this im going longer =) im sure though it was wetter meat that split open with the fall that got exposed. when it was weighted down it was maybe 3 inches the thickest part. i used a very fine canning salt in the cut area and did push it in pretty hard, may have needed more. i know how to make bait now =)
    fukahwee maine

• Darby_Crenshaw
    edited June 2016
    Options
    can't really dry cure three inches in three days, unless in a brine.

seems too short a time to be honest

• fishlessman
    Options
    can't really dry cure three inches in three days, unless in a brine.

seems too short a time to be honest

it was just short of 5 days, is there a chart on thickness with dry curing times anywhere. the link i followed had the times by weight, seems thickness would be more accurate.
    fukahwee maine

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    FWIW, those maggots look well fed and taken care of :smiley:

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    You could always throw out the meat and save the maggots for trout fishing
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • Robo2015
    Robo2015 Posts: 267
    Options
     :o 
    A Lonely Single Large Egg

North Shore of Massachusetts
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @fishlessman
    Brother fish, for the reasons you listed above, I either tie around the bone or thread through a tendon with a large threading needle that I made. Have had great luck thus far. 
    Home made threading needle. 

Various tie options. Around the bone or through a tendon. 

Hanging.  

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,364
    Options
    I don't cure meat so bare with me but what does falling from the hanging position do with maggots? I mean the flies can just lay eggs from anywhere? 
    Jacksonville FL
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    Dobie said:
    I don't cure meat so bare with me but what does falling from the hanging position do with maggots? I mean the flies can just lay eggs from anywhere? 
    Surface broke open and the meat was softer in the interior. ...and it was a short cure, i'm betting there's a chance the very interior wasn't fully cured. 

• gerhardk
    gerhardk Posts: 942
    Options
    http://www.foodnetwork.com/shows/guy-and-hunters-european-vacation/100-series/italy-and-switzerland.html

This an episode from the fellow that does Diners, Drive Inns and Dives he visits a place that makes Parma hams, I found it interesting because we had visited the same place in 2010.  Same two people, the owner and his daughter, gave us the tour and so much Parma ham for lunch that my wife and her friend swore that they never wanted to eat ham again.

Gerhard
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
  • fishlessman
    Options
    so i could have bait with me all the time, that would keep them from freezing in the winter as well. nice
    fukahwee maine