Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Steak with Braai rub, and a Map Gas question

Options
Theophan
Theophan Posts: 2,654
I used a Map Gas torch for the first time today to light my Egg to grill a steak, and it worked really well, though as I'd read on this forum, there sure were a lot of glowing embers flying around, even when I tried to make the flame a little gentler.  But I have a question for those of you who are familiar with these:  The instructions that came with it insisted that I take the torch head off of the gas can any time I'm not using it.  It didn't explain, but my guess is that maybe there's a small chance of the torch head leaking gas and zero or much less chance of a leak if you disconnect it from the tank.  Do you do this?  Anybody want to guess about how risky it would be to just turn it off and leave it in my garage?  (BTW, the garage gets pretty hot in the summer...)

I used the South African Braai rub that I posted about here not long ago, and I really love this stuff!  It's becoming a favorite rub.  The strip steak was an inch or a little less, so I just flipped it every couple of minutes at about 450° till it was about 120° or so internal, and it was one of the best steaks I've cooked in a long time.

Comments

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Nice looking steaks - on the outside, how did the inside look?
    Quality of lump, moisture content, is what causes the sparking. If you have too much, use some second burn stuff on top and light it, it has already been dried out and does not spark at all. I leave my torch on the tank if using the tank, if using the extender, I take it off - plumber told me this, never questioned why.....
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • jeffwit
    jeffwit Posts: 1,348
    Options
    I leave mine attached all the time. Never read the directions, I guess. Haven't blown up yet.
    Jefferson, GA
    XL BGE, MM, Things to flip meat over and stuff
    Wife, 3 kids, 5 dogs, 4 cats, 12 chickens, 2 goats, 2 pigs. 
    “Honey, we bought a farm.”
  • Theophan
    Options
    Quality of lump, moisture content, is what causes the sparking. If you have too much, use some second burn stuff on top and light it, it has already been dried out and does not spark at all. I leave my torch on the tank if using the tank, if using the extender, I take it off - plumber told me this, never questioned why.....
    I posted 3 pictures, the third of which showed the steak sliced in half, showing what it looked like on the inside.  Doesn't it show on your computer?  Here it is again, just looking at the cut side:

I was using Rockwood lump, but had just dumped in new lump from the bag.

Thanks to both of you for the replies about the torch head and the tank.  I've taken it off so far, probably will wind up leaving it on.
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    Great looking steak.  Will give that rub a try.  I leave my head on all the time as well.  One thing I do when lighting mine is use my welders gloves and lower the lid as much as possible to help eliminate space for the sparks to fly, especially towards my face.  At worst I might catch one on my shirt or foot.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,647
    Options
    I've never taken mine off... Steaks look great!

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,336
    Options
    I leave mine on all the time too, never had a problem. I occasionally have a spark issue, especially if I blast it for a good while in a certain area.

~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    The coriander in the rub adds a bit of pastrami like flavor, but the thyme takes it in another direction.

I've been using a MAP weed burner made by Bernzomatic for years now, and have never had any leak problems. 

The sparking is mostly a lump problem. Some lump turns to fire works, most just pops a little.

• Jackh
    Jackh Posts: 109
    Options
    I close the top of egg down almost to the torch keeps most of sparks insider
    Lg&Sm ---Middleport NY
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    I hang my LP tank ready to go on the wall, and keep the safety glasses on top of the freezer.
    You'll be fine.
    Steak looks delish.

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Theophan said:
    I posted 3 pictures, the third of which showed the steak sliced in half, showing what it looked like on the inside.  Doesn't it show on your computer?  Here it is again, just looking at the cut side:

Thanks to both of you for the replies about the torch head and the tank.  I've taken it off so far, probably will wind up leaving it on.
    You could save yourself about 99% in fuel costs if you took a paper towel soaked in little cheap veggie oil and light that with your torch in 2 seconds. Also, Jonathan at Rockwood says that lump was never meant to be lit at 1000 degrees in one tiny spot. better wear eye protection if you do it that way, I had some close calls when I used to light this way. The paper towel trick works much better, it's safer and it's a fraction of the cost. I keep a tupperware type container with 100 or so squares of soaked paper towels in there. takes 2 seconds to get the egg lit and 10-15 minutes to get up to temp. you can do 2-3 towels if you are in a hurry. I usually just light one in the middle.

Great looking steak btw. Never heard of that rub. I'll have to check it out.

Oh- and I've never taken my gas nozzle off. It's been years

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,052
    Options
    Great lookin steak!!  
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Nice looking steak!

I found that the lump sparks more if the bag has been opened, and its been  outside of the garage. My guess is that the lump absorbs (adsorbs?) some moisture since its so humid here. I have little/minimal sparking if I pull a sealed bag of lump straight from the garage. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Theophan
    Options
    You could save yourself about 99% in fuel costs if you took a paper towel soaked in little cheap veggie oil ...
    Of all the crazy things, I decided to try the torch because my first bag of Rockwood has such huge pieces of lump I found myself rearranging the lump to try to get some small pieces in close enough contact with my starter cubes that I thought they'd light.  I was knocking some of the larger lump pieces with my ash tool to break them into smaller pieces.  It just seemed like it might be easier to use a torch.  I'll see.  Only done it once, so far.

I don't think I have tried the paper towel thing, though I've read about it here for years.  The cubes just seemed easy and the cost didn't bother me.  I've been using the cubes for many years now.  It was just with this particular bag of really large lumps that I thought I'd try the torch.

And yeah, I definitely have safety glasses on my list for my next trip to the hardware store...
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    My view is time = $. Even my own useless time. If you really need a hot fire fast, a torch will get you to 5 - 6C F in just a few minutes. And, typically it rains a lot where I live. Trying to keep a paper towel dry, and then light it in a downpour, and close the dome and put a rain hat on is less fun than blasting the lump.

And while Map Pro is fairly pricey, propane isn't and works about as well. From what I can find, BTUs per gallon of propane vs. BTUs from corn oil shows propane being about 20% cheaper per BTU This assumes you are not getting waste oil from restaurants.

So while on a day to day basis, the oil on paper looks pretty good, it will,  by nickles and dimes, cost more.

Buy some paraffin. Save your drier lint.  Mix. Make your own starter cubes. Cheapest that I know of.
  • KKorkmaz
    KKorkmaz Posts: 150
    Options
    Love the crust on the steal, mind posting the rub recipe again? I use a map torch as well, I've never removed the tank and haven't run into issues, my lump will spark from time to time but I've always attributed this to moist or poor quality lump.
    Chicago, Illinois
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    At Home Depot...

Map-Pro, 14.1 oz, $10.97, 78¢/oz
    Bernzomatic Propane, 32 oz (2-pack of 16 oz canisters), $7.47, 23¢/oz

Propane is plenty hot enough for charcoal. Just get a Map torch head so it'll work upside down. A 16 oz propane canister lasts forever. No muss, no fuss. Squeeze the trigger for a few seconds in as many spots as you want and you're done. If it sparks, try a different spot. Often it won't spark there. Then go solder something. =)

Cooking oil, especially used cooking oil can be nearly free and works quite well. I find it to be rather messy though.

To answer your question, I leave the torch outside near the egg and the only time it gets separated from the cylinder is when it is empty and I have to replace it. For years, I left it like that in my basement workshop. Now, I do more cooking than plumbing so it stays outside.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Theophan
    Options
    KKorkmaz said:
    Love the crust on the steal, mind posting the rub recipe again?
    It's still on the original post, just click here.
  • Theophan
    Options
    Thanks for all of the replies on the Map Torch!  I may try propane when this tank runs out.  I'd love to leave the torch in a drawer in my table outdoors, but I don't know how hot it might get out there and whether that'd be a problem.  My garage gets pretty hot, too, but I'm sure less hot than under the blazing sun where the table is.  I think I'll keep it in the garage, still.

Thanks again for the comments about whether to disconnect it or not!
  • Captain_Paul
    Captain_Paul Posts: 138
    Options
    Theophan said:

You could save yourself about 99% in fuel costs if you took a paper towel soaked in little cheap veggie oil and light that with your torch in 2 seconds. Also, Jonathan at Rockwood says that lump was never meant to be lit at 1000 degrees in one tiny spot. better wear eye protection if you do it that way, I had some close calls when I used to light this way. The paper towel trick works much better, it's safer and it's a fraction of the cost. I keep a tupperware type container with 100 or so squares of soaked paper towels in there. takes 2 seconds to get the egg lit and 10-15 minutes to get up to temp. you can do 2-3 towels if you are in a hurry. I usually just light one in the middle.

Great looking steak btw. Never heard of that rub. I'll have to check it out.

Oh- and I've never taken my gas nozzle off. It's been years

So how do you get the charcoal to light and get up to cooking temp in 10-15 minutes? Do you close the dome as soon as you light? I have been  placing the oil soaked paper towel in the middle with a little coal on top of it then letting it go for about 15 minutes to really get started before I close the dome. Then I have to wait another 15, 20 minutes or half an hour before it really gets up to cooking temperature. 
    LBGE, Minimax
    Owensboro, Kentucky
    Go Cats!
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    edited June 2016
    Options

Always have plenty of oiled towels from the Blackstone.  Within 3 feet I also have a mapp torch, a 500,000 btu flamethrower,  and a chimney starter.

I have commitment issues.

As far as it getting too hot... I'm in phx and leave the 1lb cylinder connected to the mapp torch in my gasser.  It's pretty hot here, I think you'll be ok.
    Phoenix 
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    blasting said:

It's pretty hot here, I think you'll be ok.
    No.....its d@mn hot there.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Theophan said:

I used the South African Braai rub that I posted about here not long ago, and I really love this stuff!  It's becoming a favorite rub.  The strip steak was an inch or a little less, so I just flipped it every couple of minutes at about 450° till it was about 120° or so internal, and it was one of the best steaks I've cooked in a long time.

That money shot is spot on. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • tgs2401
    tgs2401 Posts: 423
    Options
    Great looking steak and thanks for the rub recipe. I'm going to try it this weekend.
    One large BGE in Louisville, KY.
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    MapPro is a scam.  It fools everyone that used to buy MAPP before it went away.  That familiar yellow bottle, similar name, and "hotter than propane" gets people

MAPP -  5300F
    MapPro -  3700F
    Propane - 3600F

You're paying 3x for an extra 100F.

The old MAPP was worth the money if you needed to sweat a pipe with water in it or something where you needed the heat.  But you don't need the heat it in the egg, you're  better off with the coverage so the fire doesn't need to spread.

Hit the charcoal up to 673F and it lights.....so a weed burner from 2ft away blasts a flame wide enough to light the whole firebox, but not so hot that it's causing all the pops and sparks.  That's where MAPP was dangerous: taking the charcoal from 70F and hitting it win a 5300F flame with your hand and face nearby.  Plus, mishandle MAPP and you're going straight to the ER burn unit.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,740
    Options
    Theophan said:
    Thanks for all of the replies on the Map Torch!  I may try propane when this tank runs out.  I'd love to leave the torch in a drawer in my table outdoors, but I don't know how hot it might get out there and whether that'd be a problem.  My garage gets pretty hot, too, but I'm sure less hot than under the blazing sun where the table is.  I think I'll keep it in the garage, still.

Thanks again for the comments about whether to disconnect it or not!
    i dont know if map floats or sinks. propane sinks so you vent it down to disperse, easy to do with a drawer in a table.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it