Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mini Max Nest

Options

I have a new Mini Max, a lack of horizontal space to put it on, and a spare large nest I found on Craigslist for $50. Disassembled the large nest, shortened the four cross pieces by 1 7/8", and put 'er back together. Very happy with the result

photo MMax_zpstbspatyxjpg

You can keep the MM in the carrier, or put the MM in the nest without. Very stable and secure. Shown next to some of the rest of the clan for scale;

photo MMax amp Others_zpskssedb3jjpg

Comments

• Gamecockeggman
    Options
    Ok, so where do you live and what do I have to do to get put in the will?  Jealous as hell my friend.  Very nice.
    Go Gamecocks!!!
    1 XL, 1 MM
    Smoking in Aiken South Carolina
  • gmbbs
    gmbbs Posts: 110
    Options
    Ha. Not shown is the large and the Mini. And the other chiminea.
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    That's a good idea right there.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Very...Very cool...
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • feef706
    feef706 Posts: 853
    Options
    gmbbs said:

I have a new Mini Max, a lack of horizontal space to put it on, and a spare large nest I found on Craigslist for $50. Disassembled the large nest, shortened the four cross pieces by 1 7/8", and put 'er back together. Very happy with the result

You can keep the MM in the carrier, or put the MM in the nest without. Very stable and secure. Shown next to some of the rest of the clan for scale;

So you simply cut the top off the nest by 1 7/8"? Great idea
  • gmbbs
    Options
    Not the top, cut the cross pieces; the two criss-crossed across the bottom, and the two others directly under the base. Making the nest narrower by 1 7/8".
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    I was told that the MiniMax fit into a medium nest perfectly. I actually have on but yet to try It. I must now exert some energy to validate.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    I was told that the MiniMax fit into a medium nest perfectly. I actually have on but yet to try It. I must now exert some energy to validate.
    Now I'm interested. Let us know Robin. 
  • feef706
    feef706 Posts: 853
    Options
    gmbbs said:
    Not the top, cut the cross pieces; the two criss-crossed across the bottom, and the two others directly under the base. Making the nest narrower by 1 7/8".
    Ok sorry I didn't read your post well enough, looks awesome
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    I hope that is the case. I see large nests all day long on CL but I can't find a medium nest. Sounds like trimming a large down by 1 7/8" would be the ticket for my medium. 
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Very good idea
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    Options
    Great post! I should cut down my spare large nest for my small egg. My dad just bought a new plasma cutter.  He's probably looking for an excuse to use it. Thanks for the inspiration!
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • SmokininCT
    Options
    Great post. I'm really interested in fitting my mini-max into a nest. Has anyone been able to try a medium nest to see if it will fit there as well? Did you need to cut the 1-7/8 off of each of the top and bottom cross pieces or just off the top? 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    That's a great idea.  

And I'm jealous of the chimnea duo! 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • gmbbs
    Options

I cut off the bottom and top pieces. You could prob just cut down the top pieces, but the "fingers" at the top that grip the base would obviously be closer together, so 1 7/8" might be to much, or require bending to fit. *shrug*

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    I hope that is the case. I see large nests all day long on CL but I can't find a medium nest. Sounds like trimming a large down by 1 7/8" would be the ticket for my medium. 
    @DoubleEgger    Michael........I was reading back on this....do you need a medium nest? Mine is taking up space in the garage. I travel over to Atlanta area frequently as my daughter lives over there. If you need one....I can hook you up.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    edited January 2016
    Options
    @DoubleEgger    Michael........I was reading back on this....do you need a medium nest? Mine is taking up space in the garage. I travel over to Atlanta area frequently as my daughter lives over there. If you need one....I can hook you up.
    Thanks for the kind offer. I don't necessarily "need" one as I have a table. More of a luxury... A nest would just make the egg more mobile for Butt Blast or when I need to refinish the table etc. 

• bgeaddikt
    bgeaddikt Posts: 503
    Options
    Tried the first cart(red) and the cross-members were bent, not sure if i bought it like that but i didnt want to chance it and have it collapse on me later on. So i returned it to the store and got a used cart on Craigslist cheaper then the store bought cart. Wifey told me to open up a food 'cart' since it cant be a food trailer just yet  =)

Austin, Tx
  • bgeaddikt
    bgeaddikt Posts: 503
    Options
    Can even cook on it, chicken with corn. Might need more grid space.
    Austin, Tx
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    bgeaddikt said:

Is the cart stable enough that you can add a "shelf" across the top of the sides?  Cut the shelf the width of the interior and longer than the width ... maybe with a small strip on the bottom of both ends to ensure that it can't slide off.  Then the shelf could be stored in the cart, taken out and rotated 90 degrees to form a table top.  The egg would set on the top for cooking and go back down into the cart for transporting.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    I plan on rolling my mini max this week in a wagon up to the park.
    pre school cookout for the kids. I'll post pics of it in the wagon, hope it holds up.
    Seattle, WA
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Awesome cart 
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • 714egghead
    Options
    has anyone tried this for a mini? would be interested to see how it would look and for specs.
    XL BGE, Imperial Kamado, brinkman gasser, Taco Cart griddle 
    (Wishlist- BGE M-Max)

Santa Ana, Ca 
  • Sicilian
    Options
    gmbbs said:

gmbbs said:

• Sicilian
    Options
    Did you cut 1-7/8” off every end of all 4 supports? Or half of 1-7/8”?  For a total of 8 cuts. Seems you would have to cut each end to keep the center hole aligned. Did you have to re-bend the top supports?
  • MasterC
    MasterC Posts: 1,375
    Options
    I got this stand at the bbq store for my mini, great addition by
    Fort Wayne Indiana 
  • BobDanger
    BobDanger Posts: 323
    Options
    Mine came with one as well...don’t use it.
    Eastern Shore Virginia 

Medium & Mini Max
  • Sicilian
    Options
    I’ve got the Mini Max stand but I also have a rolling nest that’s empty. It would be easier to move around in the nest. Hopefully I’ll get a response on my questions to fit the Mini Max into the large BGE rolling nest. 
  • BobDanger
    BobDanger Posts: 323
    Options
    I just measured my MM and my medium...it would fit in the medium nest with 1” to spare.
    Eastern Shore Virginia 

Medium & Mini Max
  • Kevinboatright
    Kevinboatright Posts: 278
    edited October 2018
    Options
    My MM fits in a medium nest perfectly. It just sits a little low, but easier to move around. Then I can throw it back in the carrier when we wanna take it on trips. 

Atlanta, GA 

LBGE, Mini-Max, Mini, 1995 BGE Chiminea, 22" Blackstone, Weber Genesis E-310.