Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Serious questions for MiniMax owners

I posted recently that my local dealer was ready to make me a pretty good deal on a MM.  So a couple of days ago I stopped by the store.

I was taking a really good look at the MM and a couple of things just jumped out at me.  So I thought I would see if others have seen this or maybe it is just a bad string of QC from BGE on the ones shipped to my dealer.

First the grate overlapped the top ring instead of sitting on it.  It is supposed to be a 13inch diameter grate, but when the dealer measured it he found it to be 12 inches.  It didn't even come close to resting against the outer wall of the egg as my XL and Med do.  Now that is no biggy but not when it was overhanging the top ceramic ring.

The fire box ring seemed fine, but certainly not the upper ring.  I was not round and when you lined it up even with the bottom ring at the back of the grill, the front was a good 3/4 inch overhang to the inside of the firebox.  Additionally the upper ring had some pretty nasty gouges in it where it meets the firebox ring as though someone had taken a grinder to it.

The dealer then opened a new one and took out the parts to compare.  We found exactly the same thing.  It would appear that somewhere the mold for this ring was faulty.

Now I know that this may not seem like a big deal to some of you, but coupled with the grate size and the amount of airspace between the inner ceramics and the egg shell there just seemed to be a significant loss of cooking area on an already small grill.

I am afflicted with the ability to see things like this right away, but it just put me off on buying the MM.

Has anyone of you that own a MM seen anything like this before?
Titusville, Fl. and just bought XL and Med BGE.  "Every Day is A Bonus" in my world, and my job is to choke the life out of them. Cancer Sucks.

Comments

• SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    All I can tell you is that I am very happy with my mm. I bought the woo from CGS and I think it works well. This being said - if I had it all to do over I might have bought the small since I will probably never haul my mm anywhere. 
    Yes, the upper ring doesn't fit as neatly as it does on my large, but it seems to work just fine. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    I do not own a mm but I would think if you bought it and it did not preform to the BGE standards they would replace it. 
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Yes it's been discussed a lot on the forum. BGE has since changed the fire ring and plate setter the fire ring is wider to fit the fire box better and the plate setter legs are longer. That dealer has the older original MM but it's not a big deal. BGE cheaped out on the original and just used the fire ring from the small that didn't fit good. 
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited June 2016
    These differences have been discussed multiple times. The Firebox was made for the MM. Then the Firering was the same as the SBGE. Ring overlapped the box. Then some things evolved such as the firering height. Mine and our Son's has all first Gen MM attributes. I think some things could've been designed better on this model. However, we're very pleased with its performance. Clearly the MM is NOT the only Komado in this size class. If these things bother you that badly look around at other cookers. Bottom line....fire, meat, whiskey, repeat. Don't get caught up in the diehard BGE propaganda. For the $$$ it shouldn't leave you wondering "is this really the grill I want"?
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Lit
    Here are both fire rings. My original got a crack so I got a new version under warranty. The new version is theehite one. 
  • NPHuskerFL
    @Lit You prefer GENI or GENII Firering?
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • NPHuskerFL
    I like the GENI w/ CGS WOO for raised indirect & direct. Placing legs in the ring's depressions gives decent height but, placing the WOO legs on top of the firering really gets ya up in the dome which is great for most things. Great Za action rolling 550℉-700℉ range. The crust and top really come together. The dome height acts almost like a salamander. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • Lit
    @NPHuskerFL I use the GEN1 the most still since it creates more seperation from heat and I use the MM mostly for direct. The GEN2 works better for my pizza set up the original is too tall my stone won't fit. The new ring gives a little extra room in the dome also when indirect.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Lit said:
    I couldn't help but notice the WD-40. A man with a roll of duct tape, a knife and a can of WD-40 can fix just about anything. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    SGH said:
    Lit said:
    I couldn't help but notice the WD-40. A man with a roll of duct tape, a knife and a can of WD-40 can fix just about anything. 
    You forgot bailing wire my friend...
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • NPHuskerFL
    @Lit at least having both generations gives you some options. I noticed the firering thing the minute I opened the dome. I got one of the first delivered units. In fact when I saw it myself and the dealer proceeded to open like 12 MM boxes to compare. All were found to be exactly alike. Definitely thought firering could've been better considering how long it took them to release this on the market and with all the internal product testing. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • bgeaddikt
    bgeaddikt Posts: 503
    I guess i have a newer Gen MM bcuz i dodnt have any of those issues and couldnt be happier. Might even sell mine, too eggdicted!
    Austin, Tx
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,452
    @SGH, did you notice the beer dispenser  =)

canuckland
  • McStew
    McStew Posts: 965
    @lit is that one of the collector Simpson Webbers 
    Hermosa Beach CA 
  • dougcrann
    dougcrann Posts: 1,129
    Don't have an MM. But I can say that all of the warranty parts I have received as of late are far from perfect. The bases all have multiple imperfections in them.....large gouges, chips missing. Warranty dome I just got has extra material on it...sort of looks like a ridge...
  • Lit
    McStew said:
    @lit is that one of the collector Simpson Webbers 
    Yes sir. Not in great shape though missing a couple chips but I use it a lot so don't really care. Will probably pick up a nice one at some point.
  • Sonny3
    Sonny3 Posts: 455
    Thank you all for your responses.  Even though my dealer has offered a great deal I think I am going to visit another location to see if they have the later Gen with some of these issues resolved. 

I really like the idea of having the MM and the versatility it would offer me not only traveling in the RV but at home too.

I really appreciate you folks taking the time to provide input on something as minor as this.
    Titusville, Fl. and just bought XL and Med BGE.  "Every Day is A Bonus" in my world, and my job is to choke the life out of them. Cancer Sucks.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    @SGH, did you notice the beer dispenser  =)

I saw it back there. I'm pretty sure the gut is pissing on a Yeti ;)

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out.