Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How Much Do You Spend?

Options

Comments

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    We spend a decent amount for 2 adults and a toddler. You think eating meat is expensive my wife is a vegan and eats only organic. Never knew you could fit $60 of vegetables into a plastic grocery bag. 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Dobie said:
    for just me, 40 on food, 120 plus minus on booze and beer
    At least you have your priorities straight  =)
    limes is a food group, right B)
    Yep. And you won't get scurvy anytime soon :)

No idea how much is spent on groceries. We have few vices - don't drive flashy vehicles, or eat out much, wife doesn't care much  about shopping for clothes/shoes, and I don't do hookers and/or blow. So if we (read= I ) spend some $$ on  food and booze - so be it. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    From what I view on here daily, I cannot believe you all don't spend way more than your saying.  
    Since i live with Nurse Ratchet, it's pretty difficult for me to deviate from the weekly food budget without dealing with a pain in the you know what.  For example, yesterday, when it was a balmy 118 in Phoenix, my eldest son and i took a ride out to Restaurant Depot to 'chill' in the warehouse where they give you orange winter coats to wear..  Well, i saw a great weekend clearance on Salmon (6.99/lb) that was not sold to local restaurants and they wanted to move it, but i couldn't act on it because i blew the wad last week on that prime t bone steak. And, i can't 'apply' this week's extra to next week's allocation.

Soooo, when she allows me a certain amount of $ to spend on food, that's it.  I do save up from time to time to be able to get something special but if i have to go to the 'bank' to withdraw more, but it better be explainable.  This all was something that terrified me 15 years ago ,but now, i am thankful for the structure, discipline and frugality that this approach allows.

the lobster tails i made sat nite for father's day eve cook were actually a gift from someone i do business with as a thank you for some advice i gave him.

I do make things on green egg for friends and neighbors- they buy the food, bring me a little extra to make for myself (ribs for example) and away we go- this happens at least once a month.

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Lit said:
    We spend a decent amount for 2 adults and a toddler. You think eating meat is expensive my wife is a vegan and eats only organic. Never knew you could fit $60 of vegetables into a plastic grocery bag. 
    If you have the space, suggest that she grows her own. Its great fun, assuming the bunnies, woodchucks, gophers, raccoons don't get to eat most of it. Or caterpillars or slugs. And that you don't have lower back pain. 

In the last week I lost all my spinach, lettuce, nasturtiums (a great spice herb), and some of the carrots. Seed cost, maybe $3. Work time, at minimum wage, equaled at least $24. Not counting the tools to till the soil, or the water to keep everything from dying. Or the home made mulch and compost.

$60 is pretty cheap.
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    Dobie said:
    I know there are tons of variables but how much do you (average)spend a week on food and drink?
    Include  spices, seasonings, booze, anything edible but not restaurant food. Also include the region you live in and how many mouths you feed.
    Its just me and Mrs. Dobie and occasionally I cook a meal for my folks and I think it's about $200 a week. I'm n NE FL. 

There are so many variables that go into a grocery budget, comparison doesn't mean much without the details.  There are expensive grocery stores (Whole Foods) and inexpensive grocery stores (Food4less).  There is buying basic ingredients and cooking from scratch vs. buying pre-made highly processed foods.  how much meat to veggie to starchy ratio in the diet.  How much snack foods?  Large soda, wine, beer drinkers vs. those who prefer water as their number one beverage.  I don't know if I can provide a good average, my normal weekly grocery run for a family of 3 is between $30 & $70, but we do eat out about 3 to 4 times per week, usually dinner out on Thursday or Friday, and then one lunch and one dinner out on the weekend, and maybe a weekday hit at fastfood.  so that is 3 to 4 meals out of 21 per week.  And about every other month a Costco run of food, toilet paper, and other miscellaneous non-food items to the tune of ~$300 and maybe $100 a month from Walmart, again a mix of food and non-food items.  Walmart does include the petfood & pet bedding for 2 guinea pigs.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    gdenby said:
    Lit said:
    If you have the space, suggest that she grows her own. Its great fun, assuming the bunnies, woodchucks, gophers, raccoons don't get to eat most of it. Or caterpillars or slugs. And that you don't have lower back pain. 

In the last week I lost all my spinach, lettuce, nasturtiums (a great spice herb), and some of the carrots. Seed cost, maybe $3. Work time, at minimum wage, equaled at least $24. Not counting the tools to till the soil, or the water to keep everything from dying. Or the home made mulch and compost.

$60 is pretty cheap.
    $60 is cheap but it's only a couple days worth or stuff starts going bad. I really want to set up a small 4'*4' flood table with a 400 watt metal halide but we just don't have the space for it with the 2nd kid on the way now.
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    My wife does the budget, the bills, and honestly makes more than me. I don't have a clue what we actually spend on food. I know I buy 1-2 12 packs a week and a bottle of tequila ~once monthly. I usually cook decent meals 4-5 nights a week and an "expensive" cook 1-2 nights a week. She does complain when the groceries go over $200 a week though. This is for the two of us and our 6 yr old...who eats ravioli every night. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • pescadorzih
    pescadorzih Posts: 926
    Options
    Probably 30-40 per week for food. We by all meat bulk. Usually every 3 months stock up. Mostly .99/# roasters, .99-1.29/# shoulders, and 5.99-7.99 steak bulk packs.
    We don't mind leftovers and I try to plan meals repurposing the leftovers during the week. Bourbon has started to put a dent in the budget a little. 
    Just the 2 of us.
    We spend more for gas to get back and forth to work than on anything else.
    SE PA
    XL, Lg, Mini max and OKJ offset
  • jak7028
    jak7028 Posts: 231
    Options
    I have a family of 5, but my oldest kid is 7.  We spend $200 on week on groceries.  That count toiletries and diapers though, so the food bill is a little lower.  It does not count any wild game.  We eat venison year round and various different birds.  Helps lower the bill some when you dont buy ground meat.

Overall, we cook at home a lot, dont eat out often.  Usually eat pretty economical, like wild game or chicken.  Buy brisket, pork buts, and ribs when they are on sale, same thing if we want to cook steaks.
    Victoria, TX - 1 Large BGE and a 36" Blackstone
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Being retired I have the time and keep "impeccable" (SWMBO says "anally OCD") records. For two of us, feeding three of the grand kids a couple of times a week we spend an average of $490 ($370US) on groceries and $175 ($130US) on adult beverage. This does not include the average of $75CDN for lump and briquettes.  
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    Taking this one step further... do you shop at one grocery store or do you "make the lap" to other grocery stores to secure the best deal? Do you buy non food related items (paper towels. Windex etc.) at the grocery store or Big Box stores? 
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    @DoubleEgger we tend to make the lap - Costco once every two or three weeks large chain grocery like Safeway (Sobey's) and Save-on-Foods here in BC. We seldom shop at Real Canadian Superstore (Loblaws).
    Costco (US and Canada) for mayo, ketchup, mustard, pickles, olives, olive oil, coconut oil, peanut butter, coffee, paper towels, tissues, juices and some meats.
    Fruit and veggies at grocery stores and local markets..... 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,761
    Options
    Taking this one step further... do you shop at one grocery store or do you "make the lap" to other grocery stores to secure the best deal? Do you buy non food related items (paper towels. Windex etc.) at the grocery store or Big Box stores? 
    just depends on what quality im looking at, last week shopping was for just a rack of ribs, venison burger, bunns, and a pack of pearl dogs.(thats all i need for a week) theres more than a dozen places 3 miles or less from the house so its either convenience or im after something special. i never buy ribs from a supermarket, its usually repackaged un market hormel product so i head out to the local butcher
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,364
    Options
    Yes let's keep this to only edibles please. 
    Jacksonville FL
  • Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    Options

Flying solo at around $50/week which is reasonable given that it almost never includes meat or booze anymore :o , though it's been inching up due to an ever increasing quantity of organic stuff.

happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • NorthPilot06
    NorthPilot06 Posts: 1,179
    Options

I seriously need to suppress my appetite somehow.  Between myself and SWMBO, we spend approx. $175 / week at Central Market...with that being said, it's generally organic items (we don't generally get anything processed or packaged).

DFW - 1 LGBE & Happy to Adopt More...
  • NorthPilot06
    NorthPilot06 Posts: 1,179
    Options
    Oh, and of course beverages come in around $15-$20 per week.
    DFW - 1 LGBE & Happy to Adopt More...
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I try to average about $5-$6 a meal per (2) person(s) . Most days, lunch is leftover from the night before's dinner. 

Today's lunch: Short ribs w/ Sweet Potato Casserole. 

I'm over budget. 

New Albany, Ohio 

• Zippylip
    edited June 2016
    Options

I seriously need to suppress my appetite somehow. 

raw veggies, unbelievable how effective they are at just that
    happy in the hut
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Zippylip said:

Raw broccoli without a dip will suppress any and all appetite. You might as well eat a steaming pile of sh**. I'm a pretty big fan of almost all other common raw veggies though. 
  • The_Stache
    The_Stache Posts: 1,153
    Options
    Hmmm, let me calculate this out... Spousal unit wanted an organic garden to "save money", so about $2k later, with irrigation and plants, we have a garden that will feed the two of us about 5 to 6 months on veggies and stuff...

Then the $700.00 for a half of a grass fed steer that will last about 6 months...

So for 6 months our weekly "grocery" bills are virtually 0... (I'm using my wife's math here).

Then there's the 60 buck per week for wine and another 100 bucks a month for brewing supplies for beer.

OK... my official tally, we only spend 85 bucks a week on groceries (Beer+Wine)/4.

I'm happy with that!!

Now don't ask me about the other 6 months of the year! :-)

Kirkland, TN
    2 LBGE, 1 MM

• Zippylip
    Options
    Zippylip said:

Raw broccoli without a dip will suppress any and all appetite. You might as well eat a steaming pile of sh**. I'm a pretty big fan of almost all other common raw veggies though. 
    well yes, raw broccoli is a tough one to get down alone, but dip it in something & it catapults near the top of the list of best veggies.  The way i figure it is that is person X needs to use, say, an ounce of (whatever dip) to get down one bunch of broccoli, he'd be adding maybe 75 crap calories to the nominal calories found in the broccoli itself BUT he'd be getting an incredibly filling & incredibly nutrient/fiber dense plate of whole food down his throat.  If that roughly 300 total calorie snack stops him from downing the afternoon biggie bag of Funyuns & a Twix bar... dude's dropping weight like a champ & decidedly not starving
    happy in the hut
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    We're at around $700 food, $600 wine/beer/booze per month (actually that number may be a bit higher)

We always hit multiple stores to get the freshest, bestest, food and deals.  And we buy bulk of things that make sense.
    Options
    Damn.  People cost more than boats.
    Options
    Damn.  People cost more than boats.
    Love my boat.  Good food is expensive, not to mention good bourbon.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • clifkincaid
    clifkincaid Posts: 572
    Options
    I don't keep track! I like to cook so cost is not an issue. Kids love chicken drums and papa murphys. So daddy gets the good stuff =)
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    I don't even wish to speak about alcohol. 250/wk for family of 4 with 2 teens, that just found the door handle on the fridge, as have all their friends.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • DuckDogDr
    DuckDogDr Posts: 1,549
    Options
    Lot of variation here... When it's just me I eat out of the freezer (venison, duck, antelope), and fresh corn ...maybe $50/week 
    plus $55 a month in dog food

my ex refused to eat in ... I'd  spend 150 a week easy.. Sometimes $200 on stupid skit (Wendy's , Mahki fresh) 

• McStew
    McStew Posts: 965
    Options
    My wife is out of control with groceries on average she spends 300-400 a week for two of us just on organic vegetables for juicing / alkaline water.  Every two weeks she shops for snacks / other food related items 150.  I have cut back drastically on red meat but we eat a lot of home made sushi and other fish dishes.  Whatever makes her happy i will consume 

Hermosa Beach CA