Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Question on SBGE

Options
What is the longest low and slow you have done on one load of lump? I am planning on taking this to the beach next month and wonder if I can do 12hrs on a pork butt or need to go to more of a turbo method.
LGBE, SBGE,Blackstone,Weber Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe.

Comments

• Brisket_Fanatic
    Brisket_Fanatic Posts: 2,884
    Options
    Longest thing I remember doing on my small was ribs. At 6 hours 250 dome, still had plenty of lump left.

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    I've done a few butts on the Small. Can go 16 hours low and slow, no problem. Great little cooker.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • ibanda
    ibanda Posts: 553
    Options
    I have done a few 12 hour pork butts on the small and have always been able to hold 250° for 11 hours, the 12th or 13th hour was a little iffy on keeping the temperature up. Fill that fire bowl and fire ring all the way up with lump. I would not get a butt over 8 lbs, it might not finish. Of course you can always add more lump or finish in the oven.
    "Bacon tastes gooood, pork chops taste gooood." - Vincent Vega, Pulp Fiction
    Small and Large BGE in Oklahoma City.
  • Dawgs8033
    Dawgs8033 Posts: 113
    Options
    That is true thanks for the response. I guess I will take it down there and out it to the test.
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Welcome to the insanity!!  Go Dawgs!

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options
    12ish hours for me, I had to raise the dome thermometer so that it would not hit the meat.  You can use a cork, or anything really.  The last time I used the grate lifter.  :)
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    Trust @DMW on this. SBGE is a true hacker. Enjoy the beach.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Easy 12 hrs on ours. SBGE is a trooper.   FYI my small platesetter kills the coals. I use Woo and small pizza stone. 
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Dawgs8033
    Dawgs8033 Posts: 113
    Options
    Sounds like I'll be ordering a woo then. Thanks for the tip on the plate setter