Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Robstah Robstah!

Options
Darby_Crenshaw
Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
edited June 2016 in EggHead Forum
A soccer tournament and the wife's car needing a tow kinda botched my plans for brisket. 

Getting home later than we wanted , 3:30, she makes me a gin and tonic, and says "i'll be right back. See what I can scare up for dinner"

Comes home with a bottle of vodka (grey goose) and says "I got two lobsters "

Me: "just two?" There's four of us. 

here's the small one:

Four pounds. 

And the other 

Seven pounds

both hard shell. Check the crusher on this bad boy

No. The big ones aren't tough. And they are just as sweet as the small ones. But thankfully everyone believes the lore.  Which actually tends to make these cheaper per pound than 1-1/2 pounders. 

Woman in in the store told my wife "the big ones are tough you know". She said politely, "only if you over cook them" and the woman said "no, they really are"

she looked at this helpful person and said "have you ever actually cooked one before?" And the broad sheepishly said "well. No. But that's what i hear anyway"

chalk it up to yet another case of 'repeating stuff you hear without actually trying it yourself'

see you tomorrow. I have been put in charge of cooking these. And drinks. 
[social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @Darby_Crenshaw
    All bull$hit aside, lobster is one of my absolute favorites. If not my very favorite. I'm really looking forward to seeing this cook unfold and your cooking method. I have got to ask, are they going to be boiled, steamed, grilled of a combination thereof? 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    Options
    Me: "just two?" There's four of us. 
    I'm inclined to concur with the above quoted. No matter their size nor weight, I could eat them both myself. And that's simply a fact. Someone would come up short and it wouldn't be me my friend =)

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• logchief
    logchief Posts: 1,415
    Options
    Wow, that's one heavy hitter and as @SGH said absolutely my favorite, can't wait for the finale.
    LBGE - I like the hot stuff.  The big dry San Joaquin Valley, Clovis, CA 
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    Alas, SGH, i shoulda put this under "OT" because I'm just gonna steam them.

nuthin but buttah for me. 

We usually each eat a 2-1/2 to 3 pounder the boys 1-1/2 to 2 pounds each

these were 'expensive'. 8.99/pound. But all the steaks were gone. And i let her decide. Sometimes they get down to 3.99/4.99 per pound 

i rented fishless's place in Maine once and the wholesaler had them at 2.99/ pounds 

but it's regional. I can't get a coubtry ham here, or alaskan salmon!
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• SGH
    Options
    @Darby_Crenshaw
    Do y'all buy them right off the boat and/or dock? I would kill to have easy access to lobster at a decent price. I would probably eat myself to death if I did. 

Status- Standing by.

• Darby_Crenshaw
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I walk to the end of my dock and tap the guy on the shoulder as he is tying up his boat

(nah. Local supermarket. They get them in daily. And as the day goes on they pull the big ones aside because most people ask for chicken lobsters (small 1 pounders to 1-1/4)

• SGH
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Alas, SGH, i shoulda put this under "OT" because I'm just gonna steam them.
    No sir, you should not put it in OT. Lobster is deserving of being put in the main forum no matter how it's cooked. Looking forward to seeing your set up and process. 

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Will this be done outside in a large steamer pot or indoors? Either way, I'm in brother. 

Status- Standing by.

• Darby_Crenshaw
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Well. We are actually prepping to reno the kitchen. No stove or oven. It's on a hotplate!

which is why steaming works so well. An inch of water will cook a small or large lobster just as easily. 

If we had to boil, the lobster would die of old age before we hit the boil. 

Her new range will boil a huge pot pronto, but unfortunately, it is sitting in cardboard on a pallet somewhere. 

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    Now that is a great way to audible the Father's Day plans.  Just rub it in with you access to lobstah's.  Happy Father's Day.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    Thanks lou. I guess lobster is nice and all. Kind of get sick of it after a while

(no. No i don't, actually) hahah

• Cookbook_Chip
    Cookbook_Chip Posts: 1,299
    Options
    No lie on big guys being every bit as good. We hit Cape Cod every summer and my buddy get 7+ lbs every time. Biggest was 14 lbs last year. Yum!
    Lovin' my Large Egg since May 2012 (Richmond, VA) ... and makin' cookbooks at https://FamilyCookbookProject.com
    Stoker II wifi, Thermapen, and a Fork for plating photo purposes
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    I'm going to have to try lobster again. I've never had a good one, including fresh off the boat in Maine. Never any flavor except the butter you dip it in. 
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    @Eggcelsior If you overcook them and they are dry, that may be the problem. 

@Cookbook_Chip. That's getting jumbo. Hahaha. 

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    @Darby_Crenshaw - thread cook of the day.  I tried to dip my screen in butter just to see how it would go...Most eggcellent.  Dang...
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,101
    Options
    Killer looking cook!
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    you friggin arse! I just chipped my tooth on the screen. I'm pissed! Next time cook something less good. 
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    you friggin arse! I just chipped my tooth on the screen. I'm pissed! Next time cook something less good. 
     Toldja. It was just "ok". 

Steamed woulda been bettah!
    but i just ate a few hand made cherry cordials, toffee dipped in chocolate, and i hear there may be strawberry shortcake. 

Lost ten pounds the last couple weeks. 

Gained them all back today

• SGH
    Options
    @Darby_Crenshaw
    Man that looks insane!! That giant claw laying on that plate just beckons to me. That quivering tail on the grill mesmerizes me like cobra. I would really putting a hurting on that. Simply outstanding all the way around. As you well know, lobster along with oysters automatically earn:

Status- Standing by.

• Darby_Crenshaw
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Thanks much!

I had a tail and a claw from that seven pounder. 

I'd've had the other claw, but I'm saving room for the strawberry shortcake. 

;)

• SGH
    Options
    Thanks much!

I had a tail and a claw from that seven pounder. 

I'd've had the other claw, but I'm saving room for the strawbeery shortcake. 

;)
    My problem is I don't have to save room.  There is room to spare  =)

Status- Standing by.

• ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,345
    Options
    That looks amazing 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Well. We are actually prepping to reno the kitchen. No stove or oven. It's on a hotplate!

which is why steaming works so well. An inch of water will cook a small or large lobster just as easily. 

Her new range will boil a huge pot pronto, but unfortunately, it is sitting in cardboard on a pallet somewhere. 

What range did you go with?
    Greensboro, NC
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Like a Rockstar!  :rock_on:
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    I'm speechless.  Thank you for posting this.  Lobster and butter...
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    Wolfpack said:

What range did you go with?
    Small space, 30" thermador pro. 

Has four 18k btu burners. I hate burners of different sizes. These are the four highest btu in their class (wolf/viking/thermador)

And within our budget ($4k +/-)

• SGH
    Options
    @Darby_Crenshaw
    Are you going to make a seafood stock with the lobster shells? To me, lobster shells make better stock than shrimp shells. 

Status- Standing by.

• Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    Normally we will do a bisque when we can

but these were done on the egg and the shells and all are kind of smokeynot bad as a bit of seasoning overall, but boiled down and concentrated, not so sure. 

A bit drier than when steamed too. 

• bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,733
    Options
    WOW!!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va