Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

dome and meat temperature

michael
michael Posts: 47
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
i cant find anything on the page where i can do a search. maybe im blind but ive looked everywhere.[p]anyway, i have a newb question. i ordered the large egg. people here mention dome temperature and also the meat temperature.[p]is this the same thermometer that goes on top of the dome?

Comments

• Michael, your egg will have a thermometer sticking through the dome of your egg. With the lid closed, you will be able to read the temperature inside the egg at the dome level.[p]Your meat temperature is the internal temperature of whatever you are cooking. For example, I'm cooking a brisket today. I have a probe thermometer poked into the center of the meat. When the internal temperature of the brisket reaches about 190* it will probably be done. The best way to know when meat is at the doneness you want, whether it be well done or rare, is to know the internal temperature. Hope this helps.

• michael
    michael Posts: 47
    so it would be wise for me to buy another thermometer for the meat temp? or do they sell one that does both dome and meat temperatures?[p]thanks
  • michael, I think anyone definitely needs a probe thermometer to moniter the internal temperature of their meat while it's cooking. You can get them at several places. My first one was a Taylor brand, costing about $16.00, that I bought at Target. More recently, I bought a remote thermometer that has two probes ($35 or $40 as I recall) -- one probe to put in the meat and one to clip on the grate beside the meat. With it, I can sit in the house and monitor both temperatures. You can get by with one that you use in your meat and rely on the dome thermometer for your cooking temperature. You just need to take into consideration that the reading in the dome is quite a bit higher than at the grate level, especially when cooking indirect. See my FYI post above relative to cooking temperatures.

• Correction: the FYI post is two lines down below.

• michael,[p]I've been Eggin' for too long WITHOUT a Wireless Probe Therm and have been researching them for a little while. [p]Maverick ET-73 seems to be the only one that monitors both pit/dome temp and internal meat temps AND it has a high/low alarm which you can set to say, 225-275 and if dome temp goes outside of that it will ALERT you as well as when your desired internal temp is done. [p]It retails around $79 but I've seen it ranging from $40-$60 on "Amazon.com, Ebay, etc...[p]
    A question for all you EGGSPERTS, is the ET-73 with the high/low alarm REALLY necessary or is the E-7 (two probes) adequate?[p]
    If anyone has any "leads" on where to purchase these at reasonable price (ie. on sale,free shipping,...), please let us know.[p]

[ul][li]Maverick Thermometers[/ul]
  • Grillicious
    Grillicious Posts: 347
    Legally Blind Egghead,
    PartShelf.com $39.99

[ul][li]PartShelf.com[/ul]
  • Phil
    Phil Posts: 26
    Legally Blind Egghead,[p]I'm not sure about the Maverick, but I bought two Taylor Wireless Thermometers. One for the dome and one for food. Since they have seperate channels, there is no interference. They work great. Amazon has them for $15 each right now.
    [ul][li]http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00012FQM4/002-5633460-2061628?v=glance&n=284507 [/ul]
  • Legally Blind Egghead, I bought my ET-73 from Partshelf.com Inc. I'm sure you can look them up on Google. The cost was $39.99 plus $6.56 shipping, for a total of $46.55.

• Phil, I did the same when I had my WSM, had two Taylor units, but it sure is nice to be able to moniter both temps while I'm sitting in the house using the puter or watching TV, or whatever. One Taylor probe stopped working and I used that excuse to get the ET-73.