Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

You might be from Texas when...

Options
So I'm sitting On The back porch enjoying a nice cigar with my Dad as I get the grill going and my wife comments, "it's actually not that bad out here as long as you're in the shade". I then walk over to set my BBQ Guru and I notice the temp reading on the probe (which is also in the shade) reads 96 degrees. It's amazing what you can get used to....
LBGE
San Antonio, TX

Comments

• Texag06ish
    Texag06ish Posts: 135
    Options
    It's hot but I wouldn't live anywhere else.
  • Hook_emHornsfan_74
    Options
    It is miserable here in Midland. 
    Midland, TX XLBGE
  • Proser
    Proser Posts: 271
    Options
    Lived here most of my life. It gets hot in Texas in the summer. Still better than snow plows and snow chains
    Arlington, TX  1 large, 1 medium, 1 Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Ass whip city in Austin this week too but as I always tell my friends in WI- you don't have to shovel sunshine. Still in the pool as the sun is going down- quite pleasant at the moment but it was brutal ho this afternoon. 110 heat index. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    at least I wasn't banging in fence posts in on a pig farm. 
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Happy Fathers Day brother!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    Options
    at least I wasn't banging in fence posts in on a pig farm. 
    Dude, it was plenty hot. To the OPs point, though, it was nice in the shade
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,115
    Options
    Kris_shofner said:
    I then walk over to set my BBQ Guru and I notice the temp reading on the probe (which is also in the shade) reads 96 degrees. It's amazing what you can get used to....
    happened to me last week, sitting on back porch which is full afteroon shade from house and sitting with the Mrs... you know its actually cool out here- and it was 88 degrees.

Twas brutal in ATX this week with 110 heat index.  Nice in NC right now with 86 for the kids soccer games.
    XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Rectec RT-B380, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    Hey guys Phoenix forecast is a buck twenty tomorrow.  Yikes! So tomorrow ill put the sous vide away and use the damn sidewalk!
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Hey guys Phoenix Face of the Sun forecast is a buck twenty tomorrow.  Yikes! So tomorrow ill put the sous vide away and use the damn sidewalk!
    FTFY
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • egger ave
    egger ave Posts: 721
    Options
    Cooking ribs today in Round Rock not too far from Austin. Heat index on my weather station said 112. I don't doubt it. 
    1 Large BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Minimax BGE, Original wife and 3 dogs living in the heart of BBQ country in Round Rock Texas. 

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."

Albert Einstein
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Ass whip city in Austin this week too but as I always tell my friends in WI- you don't have to shovel sunshine. Still in the pool as the sun is going down- quite pleasant at the moment but it was brutal ho this afternoon. 110 heat index. 
    Conversely, you can't take your skin off in that heat. 
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    I think ill spend fathers day in the refrigerated section of restaurant depot wearing a parka....
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    I met a farmer that was feeding his chickens crushed ice so they wouldn't lay hard boiled eggs.
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    Options
    Yep any shade in summer in Texas is welcome. 

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Options
    you know you are from Texas when you will walk the entire parking lot just to park the car under the lone tree.  
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    you know you are from Texas when you will walk the entire parking lot just to park the car under the lone tree.  
    Im laughing because I did just that a few days ago!

my people are built for heat and humidity, so heat and humidity suits me just fine. It's the ice and snow of the Midwest that we couldn't deal with. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    caliking said:
    Im laughing because I did just that a few days ago!

my people are built for heat and humidity, so heat and humidity suits me just fine. It's the ice and snow of the Midwest that we couldn't deal with. 
    @caliking this reminds me of a time back in Shock Trauma. We had a few Residents from Mumbai who had never seen snow. After a storm, we took them up to the helipad and had a snowball fight. Nothing better than a bunch of adults running and laughing like 5 year olds.
  • NorthPilot06
    NorthPilot06 Posts: 1,179
    Options
    Haha yup. Also know you're from Texas when you had up north and it's 70 degrees and you're cold. 
    DFW - 1 LGBE & Happy to Adopt More...
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    went to a wedding last night, first thing I see parked close to the front door is an HVAC repairman's vehicle.  told the wife......that's not good!.....ceremony was outside facing setting sun, they had two kids hanging behind the crowd with several ice packs, waiting for someone to drop.  texas type crowd, no one dropped.  went inside, small room with lots of people and little air only meant one thing, I hung by the bartender pouring cold beers all night.  gotta love a june wedding........

t  
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I hung by the bartender pouring cold beers all night. 

And this is different from every other wedding how exactly?
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options
    We were out on Lake Travis yesterday and it was still hot as hell. NO BREEZE!

Had to keep the boat moving to stay cool which made it harder to mix fresh adult bev's.

First World Problems.
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    dmchicago said:
    We were out on Lake Travis yesterday and it was still hot as hell. NO BREEZE!

Had to keep the boat moving to stay cool which made it harder to mix fresh adult bev's.

First World Problems.
    A short year ago, no hanging out on lake travis. Good to see the lakes full.
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    It fades in your rear view mirror!!~~
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    A Little Robert Earl Keen on Spotify, in the pool with ribs on the karubecue. 

What heat? 

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    And the Yeti on his boogie board....
  • dmchicago
    Options
    A Little Robert Earl Keen on Spotify, in the pool with ribs on the karubecue. 

What heat? 

Sounds perfect. 

Im in the Four Points area. 

What at time should I come. 
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Dennis - Austin,TX
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Ha! Riverplace? 
  • dmchicago
    Options
    Ha! Riverplace? 
    Nope.

Villa Montana

Dennis - Austin,TX
  • xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,115
    Options
    @The Cen-Tex Smoker  and @dmchicago  I'm in Steiner Ranch... Maybe we should have 4 pts meetup.
    XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Rectec RT-B380, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president.