Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Anyone cooked these before?

Options
Have never tried myself so any advice would be appreciated.

the city above Toronto - Noodleville wtih 2 Large 1 Mini

Comments

• ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,343
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Isn't that the same as a New York strip? An expert will chime in shortly. 

Edit: looks like it is a different cut. FWIW, I read that as "striploin" the first time 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    Not sure where one can buy strips for $9 a pound. 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Strip loin steaks are NY steaks. 
    Just got a smokin deal and processed 5 strip loins for myself and friends. 
  • cheeaa
    cheeaa Posts: 364
    Options
    Lol... stirp. 
  • NonaScott
    NonaScott Posts: 446
    Options
    Not sure where one can buy strips for $9 a pound. 
    Publix. One week strips, next week ribeye next week tbone or porter house. Constant rotation. 

Narcoossee, FL

LBGE, Nest, Mates, Plate Setter, Ash Tool. I'm a simple guy.
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    The strip steak comes from strip side of the T_bone and being from Kansan City it is called a Kansas City Strip.  Our local Restaurant Depot sells a whole strip loin steak for around $8-$9 a pound.  It is close to a sirloin but usually more tender.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • gabriegger
    gabriegger Posts: 682
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Congratulations @ColtsFan @cheeaa.  STIRPloin must be a rare cut

• Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    Options
    As the sign spelled it, "STIRP" Loin here near boston is an abbreviation for where the stirrup hits the flank of the horse. Less tender than where the jockey hits it with a riding crop, which are crop steaks. But still flavorful
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• gabriegger
    gabriegger Posts: 682
    Options
    @Darby_Crenshaw Priceless!  What's your take on a near Boston butt?

• Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    Options
    Boston Butt was named after me actually. Locals more properly refer to it as a "North Shore Ass****"
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options
    @Darby_Crenshaw -next time could leave the guessing game at just one letter??  Four stars is too much of a challenge on the weekends for sure ;)
    Happy Father's Day.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • DTEgg
    DTEgg Posts: 93
    Options
    I am an old meat cutter from long ago...same thing as a ny strip (if spelled correctly) or kansas city strip, or strip steak or five other names around the country.  By any name they taste awesome after a reverse sear cook with a little oak smoke...
    LBGE