Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wings...when to corn starch?

Or does it not really matter?  Have seen folks saying pre-rub, some mixed with the rub, some,say after...some say hours prior....HELP...I AM CONFUSED!!!

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    edited June 2016
    Doug, right or I wrong I sprinkle it on the last thing before putting the chicken on the grate My rationale is the cornstarch reacts with the grease as it oozes from the skin from the beginning of the heating process. BTW I use this super fine mesh tea strainer so I get a fine layer of dusting.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Rub, then cornstarch, then at half an hour or more in the fridge.  that's my story anyway.
    Phoenix 
  • Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,338
    I have only made wings a couple of times since I read about the corn starch. I put it on first then add whatever dry rub I am using. Next on the Egg. I have done both raised direct and indirect. Both produced great results and tasted like they were fried to me. 
    Las Vegas, NV

• dougcrann
    dougcrann Posts: 1,129
    RRP said:
    Doug, right or I wrong I sprinkle it on the last thing before putting the chicken on the grate My rationale is the cornstarch reacts with the grease as it oozes from the skin from the beginning of the heating process. BTW I use this super fine mesh tea strainer so I get a fine layer of dusting.

No tea strainer for us, Ernestina just put it on "the list". She just tossed a strainer of some sorts at me, will be going with it. Gave myself a headache trying to comprehend everything I have read. Buddy is swearing that soaking in Coke makes them super tender. Just like he swears by the Vortex Thunderdome contraption. 
    I need some aspirin lol....
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Doug, I use one of these to apply the cornstarch.  I like it so much I've bought another one for flouring while making pizza.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00004OCNL/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Phoenix 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,162
    Timing-wise I'm with @RRP -equipment-wise I shake lightly out of a container and then the wings are on the BGE.  Only sauce or rub when done and then toss back on for a few minutes to set whatever up.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • If you would buy a smokeware cap and a KAB you could just skip the cornstarch. 

Little Rock, AR

• paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,660
    No need for corn starch if the rub contains sugar 

If you would buy a smokeware cap and a KAB you could just skip the cornstarch. 
    But will I need to use Royal Rocks? Lol...

Well....double fail tonight. We used dough that was store bought. Dough was very bland. Ernie added the pizza dough seasonings we like from King Arthur. But wasn't enough. When she makes the dough she adds another King Arthur product. Her dough is so much more flavorful than what we bought. Wings were bland. Even though they had a pretty healthy dose of corn starch were not crispy. If anything they tasted a bit gritty. Thundedome had the dome thermometer at 375*. I did what my buddy swears by, grate at the normal height, thunder dome wide side down. What didn't help with the wings was a major miscommunication with the wife..oh well....not the first failure....won't be the last....
  • HendersonTRKing
    HendersonTRKing Posts: 1,803
    I mix Argo corn starch with the rub 1:3 or 1:4 and sit the wings in the fridge over night. Never fails for me. 
    It's a 302 thing . . .
  • NecessaryIndulg
    NecessaryIndulg Posts: 1,298
    dougcrann  Hi Doug, I know I'm late chiming in with my 2 cents, but I'll add it anyway. :)  

I add the rub and then dust the thick skin side with cornstarch.  I use a small strainer and tap it on like I am adding powdered sugar to the top of a cake.  I will then put them in the refrigerator while I get the BGE to temp. 
    I cook chicken wings raised direct at 325F for about an hour and 15 minutes.  I cook them thick skin side up for about 45 minutes and then flip for the rest of the cook.  There are many ways to cook great wings on the BGE... this is what I found works best for me.  Good luck! 

I'm Kristi ~ Live in FL ~ BGE since 2003.
    I write about food & travel on Necessary Indulgences.  
    You can also find me on FacebookInstagram, and Twitter.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,162
    @NecessaryIndulg -  I always enjoy your posts and cooks.  That said, is that a two tier swing rack that you are cooking on?  Curious as I have the same set-up for a LBGE.  I decided it was too much work to keep the pieces/parts clean enough to easily adjust the height and went in another direction after around  four years with the CGW rig.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • NecessaryIndulg
    Hi lousubcap Yes, it's a CGW 2 tier swing rack although I rarely use the top rack anymore for the same reason you mentioned above.  

I adore cooking on the grate though!  
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    I don't use straight cornstarch, instead I use baking powder. I add it with rub the night before and leave the wings open-to-air on a pan. The powder absorbs onto the skin and gives it a nearly fried texture when done.
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Either way works, but I do find the corn starch blocks the adhesion of the rub a bit, therefore, I would vote for dusting post seasoning. Happy wing egging!
  • dougcrann
    dougcrann Posts: 1,129
    @NecessaryIndulg....never to late. Thanks for everyones  input. 
    Part of the problem last night was Ernestina not telling me/me not asking how she likes wings. We have always just had the Honey ones from Costco cooked in the oven. The Boss likes her wings wet...but not dripping. Not a big fan of "wing sauce". Suppose that will be next search...wing sauces....which leads me to another question....
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • NecessaryIndulg
    I also like how the cornstarch helps thicken the sauce.  I stopped saucing the wings while they are on the BGE and just toss them in my sauce of choice once cooked. 

Regarding sauce:  you can't go wrong with @Dyal_SC's Jalamango Lime Wings, IMO. 
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    @NecessaryIndulg
    Great, now I have a new sauce to try, thanks!
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • bclarksicle
    bclarksicle Posts: 167
    I never use corn starch and have never had an issue getting crispy skin. 
  • Angela
    Angela Posts: 543
    No cornstarch on wings, here
    Egging on two larges + 36" Blackstone griddle
  • pgprescott
    For all the "no corn starch" crowd, I recommend you try it. You just might be shocked at how they turn out. I use this trick on all my poultry when cooked on a ceramic cooker. It's pure magic! I'm a convert myself. 
  • I have never used it before. What is the benefit? 
  • pgprescott
    I have never used it before. What is the benefit? 
    It dries the skin to allow for an almost fried skin texture. No need to nuke the temps either. It works remarkably well. 
  • I've smoked wings on my offset smoker quite a few times but haven't tried them on my egg yet. Is this just something you do when using the bge or you do it no matter what you cook on? 
  • pgprescott
    I sure it works in all cases, it's just especially critical in the moist BGE environment. 
  • JMCXL
    JMCXL Posts: 1,524
    This is why u love this forum, learned something for my next wing cook, but I guess when I do any chicken I could add a little.

thanks for the topic 
    Northern New Jersey
     XL - Woo2, AR      L (2) - Woo, PS Woo     MM (2) - Woo       MINI

Check out https://www.grillingwithpapaj.com for some fun and more Grilling with Papa (incase you haven't gotten enough of me)

Also, check out my YouTube Page
    https://www.youtube.com/c/grillingwithpapaj

Follow me on Facebook 
    https://www.facebook.com/GrillingPapaJ/

• paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,660
    I cook wings @ 400F indirect for 45-60 minutes after generously sprinkling them with a dry rub (usually Dizzy Pig Raging River or Jamaican Firewalk).  I never had any problem getting a crispy skin.  That being said, I'll try corn starch next time just to see.