Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Hop on down to your nearest EGG dealer this week to pick up some Easter EGGcessories! Here are a few that may be useful for Easter, the V-rack, electric charcoal lighter and flexible skewers! Now that Spring is in the air, it's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

3-1-1 ribs

JQuinnJQuinn Posts: 44
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hey just wanted to see if I wanted to increase my cooking time. which would be the best number to increase.
3 hours indirect [p]1 hour indirect foiled[p]1 hour direct with sause fliped every 20 minutes??[p][p]
thanks for your help. JQUinn

Comments

• thirdeyethirdeye Posts: 7,422
    JQuinn,[p]What pit temp do you like to use? Maybe you could decrease it.[p]~thirdeye~

• TroubleTrouble Posts: 276
    JQuinn,
    So many experts here, I'll just chime in with a "don't." That would be the last step, IMHO. I think you might find that the sauce, depending on the sugar content and your temp, might burn if you start saucing too early, so don't extend that time. [p]I use signals from the meat more than times because the time seems to vary quite a bit. So that's indirect until I can see the end of the rib (about 1/4" or so--if I can see 1/2" I cut the foil time). Then one hour in foil (have to go by time there for obvious reasons). Then direct until they are very close to the flexibility I want when I pick them up in the middle. I don't exactly know where that is...more of a feel. Maybe each side is between 30 and 45 degrees below horizontal? Then I start with the sauce if I'm using sauce or let them go until, geez, they bend a bit more. Do I win the award for the most undecipherable post?[p]Trouble (with explaining my bizarre rib logic).

• JQuinn,
    Why mess with a good thing? My 3-1-1 ribs are great time, after time, after time. I would say just use the recipe as given.