Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
With winter in full gear, we’re enjoying all the awesome photos of EGGs in the cold weather. Stay warm with some of our favorite Dutch oven recipes: Chicken & Dumplings, Chili Con Carne and BLT Soup.

The Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new location and check out the museum! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

3-1-1 ribs

JQuinnJQuinn Posts: 44
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hey just wanted to see if I wanted to increase my cooking time. which would be the best number to increase.
3 hours indirect [p]1 hour indirect foiled[p]1 hour direct with sause fliped every 20 minutes??[p][p]
thanks for your help. JQUinn

·

Comments

• thirdeyethirdeye Posts: 7,428
    JQuinn,[p]What pit temp do you like to use? Maybe you could decrease it.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
    ·
  • TroubleTrouble Posts: 276
    JQuinn,
    So many experts here, I'll just chime in with a "don't." That would be the last step, IMHO. I think you might find that the sauce, depending on the sugar content and your temp, might burn if you start saucing too early, so don't extend that time. [p]I use signals from the meat more than times because the time seems to vary quite a bit. So that's indirect until I can see the end of the rib (about 1/4" or so--if I can see 1/2" I cut the foil time). Then one hour in foil (have to go by time there for obvious reasons). Then direct until they are very close to the flexibility I want when I pick them up in the middle. I don't exactly know where that is...more of a feel. Maybe each side is between 30 and 45 degrees below horizontal? Then I start with the sauce if I'm using sauce or let them go until, geez, they bend a bit more. Do I win the award for the most undecipherable post?[p]Trouble (with explaining my bizarre rib logic).

·
  • JQuinn,
    Why mess with a good thing? My 3-1-1 ribs are great time, after time, after time. I would say just use the recipe as given.

·