Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hi all! : Boneless rib eye roast times?

Options
Teslamania
Teslamania Posts: 144
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi all. It has been a while since I have posted on the forum. Been really busy, but I have checked in on occasion. Hope that every one has a happy holiday season. The brother has enlisted the services of my egg for Christmas Eve dinner. He is cooking a turkey in his oven, and wants me to cook the roast. Although I would have preferred a bone in roast, he bought two boneless rib eye roasts for me to cook. I plan on studding the outside with slivers of garlic and then generously coating the roasts with Char-Crust Roto Roast. A bit of pecan for smoke, and it should be fine. I’ve cooked bone in before but not a boneless roast. I plan to cook the roasts over a drip pan. My question to the forum is at 350 is the estimate of 15 minutes per pound still in the ball park? One roast weighs about 3.9 pounds while the other is slightly smaller. I’ve got two polders, so I can monitor them separately.

Comments

• Dr. Chicken
    Options
    Teslamania,
    IMHO the 15 minutes/pound is a good starting point. Like Tim M.(I think it was Tim in his post to MOP) said yesterday this is too good of a cut of meat to totally rely on cooking times. I'd use the 15 minutes/pound as a starting point and then check it with an internal thermometer. I would also pull the roast about 5 or 10 degrees below your target temp. and wrap it in foil. Then let it set at room temp., wrapped in foil for about 30 minutes to allow it to finish cooking. My "Old English" PR recipe calls for a cooking temp. of 500 degrees & 15 minutes/pound. At 350 you know the cooking time will be longer! Wrapping it in foil is still part of my practice too! I normally cook a boneless rib roast, and the Egg has never failed me yet at the higher temps.[p]Good luck and let us know how it turns out![p]Good to hear from you again! I hope you and your family have a wonderful Christmas! Don't eat too much! :-)))[p]
    Dr. Chicken

• Teslamania
    Options
    Dr. Chicken,
    Thanks for the tip. I will have to transport the roast to my brother’s house, but it is a short trip. I will wrap it in foil and then transport it in a cooler. [p]Have a great holiday as well. What are you planning to cook?[p]

• Dr. Chicken
    Options
    Teslamania,
    I'm a little under-the-weather, even though it is about 4 above right now! Seems like everyone has got it around here! But, I've got a 20lb ham for double smoked ham that will go on in 'bout an hour, smoked salmon, a 6.5 butt for pulled pork and Egged beans. My B-I-L is doing a smoked turkey which went into the brine last night! He's catchin' on to this Egg thing! :-))) Also got to do a smaller ham fer one of my buddies at work! I might not feel the best, but Egg cookin' will make me feel better! I look at it as a little bit of therapy!!!!.....At its best!!![p]Have a great Christmas![p]Dr. Chicken