Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Why go Green?

Comments

• SmokinTiger81
    SmokinTiger81 Posts: 746
    edited April 2016
    "and she transferred the tickets to another friend out of Orlando who just recently got her egg in a divorce.  "

Now there is a woman with her priorities right and a great divorce atty.  LOL
  • Rad5
    Rad5 Posts: 35
    Thanks everyone. My local Costco was having the KJ road show this week. I have to admit, roadshow price on a new KJ is one hell of a deal. They are nice grills, but I couldn't get past the red color. (Someone on here said red was an angry color and believe it) I also feel there is a better community/family vibe that goes with owning a green egg. I was on the KJ forum and it seems pretty dead, this forum is way more fun and informative! The eggfests also sound like a lot of fun. 
    I just purchased a large demo egg that will be used in the Central FL Eggfest. It was a really good deal for being used only once. Unfortunately, I have to wait till Nov to be an official egghead. 
    Orlando, FL 
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Welcome aboard! If you stop and think about it the competitors, even if you want to grant them that elevation in status, typically compare their product to that of BGE. If they (the competitors) were so great why would they need to knock BGE and the proven BGE reputation and long history of satisfied customers who have had warranty issues? In the end you'll be gad you went green! 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    @RRP
    Ron, as you well know, green is the color of money. That's as close as I am going to come to making money jokes my friend =)

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Captain_Paul
    Captain_Paul Posts: 138
    I have seen Chinese wood floor and children toys recalled due to nasty chemicals used by the Chinese. So while I'm not really trying to bash another companies products and talked to KJ people on the phone and they seemed really nice I just decided against Chinese manufacturing. I don't trust them. And there is a bigger BGE community from whom to ask questions and get help. 
    LBGE, Minimax
    Owensboro, Kentucky
    Go Cats!
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,170
    @Rad5 - Great choice.  Congrats on the selection.  Welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  
    This site will answer all your questions dang near around the clock and spend your $$ even quicker.  You made the right call.  Sit back, relax and participate in the show.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Congrats @Rad5.  
    Phoenix 
  • Wolfie51sb
    Wolfie51sb Posts: 267
    Here in central Ohio, a local hardware store that is a KJ dealer has been airing radio commercials for the past couple of months mentioning Big Green Egg by name and urging customers to compare the two products. My takeaway from that is the advertiser figures listeners can identify and are familiar with BGE, whereas possibly not so much with KJ.

Regardless, whenever I hear an advertiser mention its chief competitor by name, it makes me pause. I suppose there are instances where it's a good idea, but were I marketing a product, I think I'd avoid that practice.

Rob

Columbus, Ohio

• Dave in Florida
    Dave in Florida Posts: 1,157
    I have no knowledge of the other ceramic smokers.  But I can tell you what swayed my decision to go with a Big Green Egg.  The wife and I were at the Bluegrass and BBQ in Sevierville, TN. 6 years ago.  As we walked and talked with the competitors at their tents, I noticed just about everybody had a BGE at their tents.  So I asked a couple what was up with that?  The reply was "that rig is what I use for competition, pointing to their big fancy smoker on trailers, and then pointing to their egg, this is what I cook the food I eat on."  So when I got back home I went to a BBQ Store that sold multiple brands.  I asked about a ceramic cooker and the salesman took me straight to the eggs and said this is the best their is.  He then explained everything the egg could do and the lifetime warranty.  And you will hear you have to have the receipt for the warranty.  I can tell you that is HOGWASH.  That store has gone out of business and I have no idea where the receipt is. I registered my eggs on line and have made one warranty claim.  All it took was an email to Bruce at BGE Headquarters with pictures.  Warranty was approved and he asked if I wanted it shipped to a store or if I wanted to pay shipping for it to come to my house?  I was going through Atlanta the following month and stopped by the Mothership.  All the parts were loaded in my Jeep with no questions, no issues and no receipt.  I'll stay with BGE for their outstanding customer service.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,310
    I can't give you any KJ advice or opinions, but I can tell you that when I was at Costco during the KJ Roadshow this week the rep asked me if I was familiar with ceramic cookers and I replied telling him that I had an egg. His response was "well this is the only one that comes close in comparison" in which I replied "so it's not better" ;) 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,324
    I have seen Chinese wood floor and children toys recalled due to nasty chemicals used by the Chinese. So while I'm not really trying to bash another companies products and talked to KJ people on the phone and they seemed really nice I just decided against Chinese manufacturing. I don't trust them. And there is a bigger BGE community from whom to ask questions and get help. 
    Says the guy that probably posted that message from a pc/tablet/phone that was made in China. :)
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    Rad5 said:
    I just purchased a large demo egg that will be used in the Central FL Eggfest. It was a really good deal for being used only once. Unfortunately, I have to wait till Nov to be an official egghead. 

it's a shame you pulled the trigger so fast & blew this bbq season before really thinking it through.  NOT that bges aren't great, certainly they are.  But, the vaunted bge warranty isn’t unique to bge anymore therefore it’s no basis to go with one over another not to mention the simple fact that application of the warranty varies so widely from dealer to dealer.  The forum & the ‘community’ likewise, while fun, is irrelevant in the buying process given that all of the same information is available to anyone with a computer, no one checks your brand owner ID before logging onto the bge or KJ forums… or going to a fest for that matter.

You'd've been served to use the same judgment you use when buying anything else, price, attachments & features, convenience, warranty, availability, even color (Grill Dome for one offers many colors, great great product there)…

The innovations I've seen in the years since I bought my first egg very likely would've made going bge far less likely.

By the by there’s a much larger online bbq community out there that’s not eggcentric but more pure bbq enthusiast based where all cookers are valued for what they bring to the table.  If you spend too much time here you may start believing only bges are capable of cooking food…

happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • Rad5
    Zippylip said:
    Rad5 said:

it's a shame you pulled the trigger so fast & blew this bbq season before really thinking it through.  NOT that bges aren't great, certainly they are.  But, the vaunted bge warranty isn’t unique to bge anymore therefore it’s no basis to go with one over another not to mention the simple fact that application of the warranty varies so widely from dealer to dealer.  The forum & the ‘community’ likewise, while fun, is irrelevant in the buying process given that all of the same information is available to anyone with a computer, no one checks your brand owner ID before logging onto the bge or KJ forums… or going to a fest for that matter.

You'd've been served to use the same judgment you use when buying anything else, price, attachments & features, convenience, warranty, availability, even color (Grill Dome for one offers many colors, great great product there)…

The innovations I've seen in the years since I bought my first egg very likely would've made going bge far less likely.

By the by there’s a much larger online bbq community out there that’s not eggcentric but more pure bbq enthusiast based where all cookers are valued for what they bring to the table.  If you spend too much time here you may start believing only bges are capable of cooking food…

You're exactly right except- I live in FL, BBQ season is all year. Also, I never based my decision on warranty. From what I have researched, they both have great warranties. However, there are a lot more BGE dealers in my area compared to KJ. Therese even one across the street of my home. I narrowed my Kamado choice down to BGE or KJ. The sense of community seems more present with BGE and was relevant to the buying process. I didn't really see community or a club type feeling with KJ. This forum is way more active, the Eggfests sound fun and there are a few in my area each year; that really appealed to me. Don't get me wrong, the KJ is a nice grill and a good value. In the end, I got the best deal on a BGE. 
    Orlando, FL 
  • Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    Rad5 said:
    Zippylip said:
    Rad5 said:

You're exactly right except- I live in FL, BBQ season is all year. Also, I never based my decision on warranty. From what I have researched, they both have great warranties. However, there are a lot more BGE dealers in my area compared to KJ. Therese even one across the street of my home. I narrowed my Kamado choice down to BGE or KJ. The sense of community seems more present with BGE and was relevant to the buying process. I didn't really see community or a club type feeling with KJ. This forum is way more active, the Eggfests sound fun and there are a few in my area each year; that really appealed to me. Don't get me wrong, the KJ is a nice grill and a good value. In the end, I got the best deal on a BGE. 

I think you missed my point, bbq season aside 6 months is 6 months & in a world where tomorrow is not assured…  I brought up the warranty & the community only because they seem to be the 2 things most often cited by bge people to sway others into the fold, though pick any other measure & they’re all equally important.  Likewise I mentioned KJ only inasmuch as it was in the running but there are many other fantastic ceramics out there that oughta be looked at by anyone considering plunking down big paper on a grill, Primo for one, particularly the oval, it may (or may not) be a feature you’d have thought important, just for example. 

Many egg owners (that hand out the advice) live in the past where bge dominated the ceramic market mainly because they nearly owned it.  Times have changed & pound for pound there are many very worthy alternatives out there & some aren’t even made of ceramic yet still take advantage of the other properties of the kamodo design, the keg & the new summit come to mind. 

Just sayin I’m not sure I follow the logic of rushing to commit to something that’s not gonna see a chicken wing until half way through football season - you coulda vetted this whole thing another week (or 3 months) & if all else failed still went with the egg…

happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    I think the KJ is a better buy, but I chose to go green in support of, and to be a part of the community.  

I haven't totally drunk the kool aid though.  Komados are not the best at everything, but are very good at most things.  I have two other smokers that produce better low and slow BBQ.  
    Phoenix 
  • DTEgg
    DTEgg Posts: 93
    The KJ is a little less $$, I trust the warranty from BGE having already replaced the bottom of my LBGE after a tiny crack developed 16 months in.  I have a buddy with a KJ and he loves it, like others have said, go with a dealer you can trust and get good accessories, lump and smoking wood from...
    LBGE
  • clifkincaid
    clifkincaid Posts: 572
    So the company I work for is dropping the BGE sales and going to the Primo brand. Are there any cool accessories that will fit the large from the primo brand?
  • yljkt
    yljkt Posts: 799
    Only the round. The others are oval shaped. To me its always been the cook, not the cooker as far as kamado's. I own Green because an old friend sells them. Good product, don't get me wrong. But a Primo was on my radar as was KJ. 
  • Captain_Paul
    HeavyG said:
    Says the guy that probably posted that message from a pc/tablet/phone that was made in China. :)
    You certainly cannot avoid Chinese manufactured goods and normally don't even have an option. They make almost everything. So yes I'm sure my tablet was made there as well as almost everything else and doesn't mean I won't buy goods from there. It doesn't mean I have to like it. But in this case I did have an option. I think the OP was asking for reasons people chose BGE. That was part of mine. 
    LBGE, Minimax
    Owensboro, Kentucky
    Go Cats!
  • bigalsworth
    bigalsworth Posts: 685
    I don't understand why people think the community comes with the color.  I could never have cooked a thing in my life and not own a single cooking device and still be in this community.  Also everything is all peachy here until you say the wrong thing or perceived to be wrong by the click and then you will be ostracized for it.  Good choice tho, I love my egg and I hope to have a KJ sitting beside it in the future.
    Large BGE
    BBQ Guru DigiQ II

Martensville, Saskatchewan Canada
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    edited June 2016
    So the company I work for is dropping the BGE sales and going to the Primo brand. Are there any cool accessories that will fit the large from the primo brand?
    The primo is a good product. The ovals have a couple unique features. Almost no aftermarket stuff. That said, outside of a controller, you don't need anything. They offer really good multi level cooking and cast iron options. You'll like em. 
  • yljkt
    I don't understand why people think the community comes with the color.  I could never have cooked a thing in my life and not own a single cooking device and still be in this community.  Also everything is all peachy here until you say the wrong thing or perceived to be wrong by the click and then you will be ostracized for it.  Good choice tho, I love my egg and I hope to have a KJ sitting beside it in the future.
    I agree. Im going off the rails tomm and buying a Lodge Logic Sportsman grill with Fathers day gift certs. Can't wait to get it and fire it up.
  • bigalsworth
    bigalsworth Posts: 685
    The primo is a good product. The ovals have a couple unique features. Almost no aftermarket stuff. That said, outside of a controller, you don't need anything. They offer really good multi level cooking and cast iron options. You'll like em. 
    That does look pretty handy.  Any future kamado purchase of mine will have that in the running for sure
    Large BGE
    BBQ Guru DigiQ II

Martensville, Saskatchewan Canada
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,324
    yljkt said:
    I agree. Im going off the rails tomm and buying a Lodge Logic Sportsman grill with Fathers day gift certs. Can't wait to get it and fire it up.

I have a Lodge Sportsman that is now about ten years old. I really need to take the wire brush to it and hit it with some engine paint (I've been meaning to do that for a couple of years now :)).

I'd venture that almost all of the folks here have multiple grills that are not just green and egg-like. They're all good!
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• yljkt
    HeavyG said:
    yljkt said:

I have a Lodge Sportsman that is now about ten years old. I really need to take the wire brush to it and hit it with some engine paint (I've been meaning to do that for a couple of years now :)).

I'd venture that almost all of the folks here have multiple grills that are not just green and egg-like. They're all good!
    I cant wait to get the thing and cook. Still remember cooking on a Hibachi. Good times and good food. 
  • Rad5
    Zippylip said:

Just sayin I’m not sure I follow the logic of rushing to commit to something that’s not gonna see a chicken wing until half way through football season - you coulda vetted this whole thing another week (or 3 months) & if all else failed still went with the egg…

I went with a demo egg package that will used at an eggfest. There was a limited quantity and they were going fast because of the near $300 discount. I had make my purchase in a timely manner. That being said, I have been looking at, and researching kamados (BGE, KJ, Primo, Grill Dome, etc) for months. For various reasons I narrowed my choices down to 2 kamados- KJ or BGE. I decided to go with the BGE. You are correct, it sucks having to wait 90+ days to bring it home, but I think it was worth the savings. 

I really appreciate your input. Thanks,

Orlando, FL 
  • keepervodeflame
    keepervodeflame Posts: 353
    edited June 2016
    Can't say anything negative about KJ they make a fine grill.  I bought my BGE because I had access to a dealer just a mile and a half away,  and the company had a long, long, standing reputation for excellent customer service. There is a physical difference between the two. KJ classic  is built with a different dome taper and does not have as much head room as a BGE Large. That's why you can put pizzas and chickens way high in the dome on a BGE rather than cooking just above the felt level. Found this out when I was researching  AR's
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    HeavyG said:
    yljkt said:

I had no idea you could cook on something that wasn't green and egg-like and turn out decent food... :liar:
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Captain_Paul
    Sure you are right but why would you want to come here if you didn't have an Egg? Aren't there a lot of other independent forums out there? The real common thread here is BGE. 
    LBGE, Minimax
    Owensboro, Kentucky
    Go Cats!