Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Big Butt Question. Help needed

Options
gooddogjudge
gooddogjudge Posts: 106
How long will it take to cook 2 10.5 butts at 225?  12 hours? 16 hours? more, less?  Need to pull them at 10 a.m.

Comments

• Jameson19
    Jameson19 Posts: 354
    Options
    15 hours, but that's just my guesstimate 
    Large BGE, Adjustable Rig, Small BGE, 2 BBQ Guru's, 18" WSM, Rockwood, Stage 3 Roush Mustang and a hot wife... 

Las Vegas, Nevada!
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options

There is a good amount of variability between individual pieces so take all times as rough.  

225º:  2 hours a pound

250º: 1.5 hours a pound

280º:  1 hour per pound

350º:  45 mins per pound

So 10.5 pounds at 2 hours per pound is about 21 hours.  Add an hour or so as a safety cushion.  If you are talking about 10am tomorrow, you better get going.

Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,349
    Options
    Same time as one- with the off-set mentioned by @jtcBoynton to be conservative.  That said, the piggy is in charge and just because they are close to the same weight does't mean they will finish at even close to the same time. If you are stacking then the one on top will likely (key word) finish sooner due to the enhanced cook environment closer to the dome.  But check each as the pig is in control here.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • SmokingPiney
    SmokingPiney Posts: 2,282
    edited June 2016
    Options
    The pig is definitely in control.... :)
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • outrageous
    outrageous Posts: 803
    Options
    You can check them around 6 am , if not done, bump temperature to 375 and wrap in heavy duty tin foil.  turbo finish!!!

Large egg and mini max egg plus a Blackstone griddle

South Ga. cooking fool !!!!!!!!

• DaveRichardson
    DaveRichardson Posts: 2,324
    Options
    Don't have them touching if possible. And don't run solely off the temp of one butt. They will behave differently. 

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• DaveRichardson
    DaveRichardson Posts: 2,324
    Options
    I'd guess at 225 a 10 pounder would take 2 hrs per as previously stated. 

Kick up up that temp to speed it up!

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,340
    Options
    I wouldn't be afraid to bump that temp up. You'll yield the same results without feeling pressed for time. You can always FTC until you need them 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• RedSkip
    RedSkip Posts: 1,400
    edited June 2016
    Options
    @jtcBoynton
    @DaveRichardson

In my personal experience, I've never run 225 or 250 on a butt.  Do you find the lower temperature produces a better quality cook?  

I generally run around 315 dome or 275 grate, but would be willing to run 225 if it produces a better quality cook.  Any thoughts on temps...?
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,746
    Options
    I did not enjoy the two butts I did in the 325 range (separate cooks) as I do for those smoking at 240-250. I believe it does make a positive difference, but many on here prefer turbo, or at least don't feel the additional time or necessity to go overnight is worth the effort.
    Stillwater, MN
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    I normally run about 275-290º.  Good results and fits my normal schedule. I usually am aiming for having it ready for dinner.  I start the cook in the morning around breakfast time and finish it for dinner.  I will adjust the temp to fit the time I have.  I have trouble keeping my egg below 240º down here in hot south FL.  I have not seen anything that convinces me that cooking at 225º results in a significantly better end result than say 250 to 300º.   I don't turbo for an entire cook, but will bump up the temp if needed.  Yesterday I was cooking two butts that were not getting done in time.  They got a 375º boost for an hour or so. Turned out just fine.  
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• RedSkip
    RedSkip Posts: 1,400
    Options
    Do you guys notice parts of the butt seem to finish or probe different than other parts?  I always seem to have a tougher part that I tend to pull earlier in fear that the parts that probe well will dry out...

any thiughts on this?  I've read some folks keep that part on the grill, cut it out, while they let the tender portions rest.
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • DieselkW
    DieselkW Posts: 894
    Options
    When I read "big butt question" all I could think about was "do these jeans make my butt look big?"

I know, I'm not helping. I can tell you when the bone wiggles free, it's done.

Indianapolis, IN

BBQ is a celebration of culture in America. It is the closest thing we have to the wines and cheeses of Europe. 

Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically.