Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My experience with the BGE warranty

Options
Wolfie51sb
Wolfie51sb Posts: 267
edited June 2016 in EggHead Forum
Back in April I heard a loud "pop" from my large Egg during a cook. The next day I took a close look at the base and saw a small crack in the front by the vent that extended underneath the base about 2 inches. It wasn't bad enough that it impacted cooks, but the crack was definitely there, so I called the store where I bought it (almost a year to the day, at Strader's in Powell, Ohio) and explained what happened.

The employee I spoke to said he could fill out the claim form and submit it and that all he would need from me was a copy of the receipt and photos of the crack(s). I was able to text him what he needed (which might not sound like a big deal, but it was, given that the drive to the store can be a real PITA because of traffic). Initially I wasn't able to get a good photo with my phone of the crack underneath, so it wasn't until a month later (May 22) that the crack had worsened and became easier to photograph.

So the end of May was when the claim actually was made. On June 8 he texted me that it had been approved, and on June 10 the new base was at the store. Apparently the store's sales rep lives in the next town over from the store, had been at headquarters and picked up the new base and delivered it. So there was no shipping cost involved.

I picked up the new base today, sealed in the box. The store owner said that if I took apart my Egg and brought in the top, he'd take care of the assembly, but I decided to do it myself.

All in all, an A+ experience.

Rob

Columbus, Ohio

Comments

• bgeaddikt
    bgeaddikt Posts: 503
    Options
    I was starting to think it was all going downhill! Great turnout.
    Austin, Tx
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    My local distributor only would charge shipping if I wanted it expedited. In the past I've had it added to the local stores next pallet and paid $0.
  • msloan
    msloan Posts: 399
    Options
    Glad it worked out for you. I've been waiting on a warranty claim to be verified and fulfilled by my store since April. I'm frustrated to say the least.  
    gettin lucky in kentucky!   2 XL eggs!
  • Meeeshigan22
    Meeeshigan22 Posts: 306
    Options
    wish my warranty experience had been the same. Love the egg, service sucks so I'll be going elsewhere.
    Highland, MI

L BGE, Primo, and a KJ Jr
  • XLentEGG
    XLentEGG Posts: 436
    Options
    wish my warranty experience had been the same. Love the egg, service sucks so I'll be going elsewhere.
    Same here...Dome was a hassle and 25$$ ( non expedited ) Base and firebox from my " new " dealer Free and Easy :-)
    More meat please !! :-)
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    Options
    That's your experience with a good dealer. Not with the warranty. 

Because i have a warranty too. But no good dealers
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• Meeeshigan22
    Options
    Just so happens that I manage a dealer network in a different industry, if one of our customers had my experience.....my dealer would be a dealer no more.

shame a lazy dealer represents a brand, the web can be a **** when it comes to marketing.
    Highland, MI

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,035
    Options
    Dealers are key to the BGE experience.  I am lucky to have 2 fabulous dealers within a few miles.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • bigbadben
    bigbadben Posts: 397
    Options
    Other Kamado dealers, HQ handles the warranty. Ship free parts direct. 
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Options
    It is the dealers.  Small fire box has had crack for two years. Happened to be at my dealer, BBQ Outfitters,  and mentioned that.  Showed picture and two weeks later they called to say new firebox was in.  
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    Call Harbaugh or someone who cares  B)
    New Albany, Ohio 

• Zaltydog
    Zaltydog Posts: 106
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I recently had a cracked firebox and grate. Pictures emailed to dealer and had the parts within a week. No cost to me. This had been the only contact I had with the dealer since buying the egg 4 years ago. Everything worked out quick and smoothly.
  • Tony_T
    Tony_T Posts: 303
    Options
    My dealer still had my receipt from 12 years ago! 

• Meeeshigan22
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Call Harbaugh or someone who cares  B)

I'll bet Crazy Jim would have it taken care of in no time. 
    Highland, MI

• Mayberry
    Mayberry Posts: 750
    Options
    Dealers can be a big help, but in my experience, aren't necessary.    Call BGE directly and you will speak to either Bruce or Duane.   They will take care of you, guaranteed.  
    Athens, GA
    XL BGE, Large BGE and RecTec590