Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Washington definitely is not big meat country

Options
Trying to find some beef plate ribs and no one even knows what I'm looking for. I'm calling meat shops. One lady tried telling me they were called flanken ribs but a quick google image search proved it wasn't. Is there a secret code I need to say so that someone knows what I'm looking for? Trying over the phone before i spend $100 in gas driving around showing images from my phone. Was hoping to do my first ones for fathers day but it ain't looking so good as of now. 

Comments

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Beef Plate Ribs are an accurate request.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    flanken ribs are the same but cut through the bone in steaks.

Most of the time I see them called "short ribs".   Try that.

Options
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • NorthPilot06
    NorthPilot06 Posts: 1,179
    Options
    :) That article was fantastic - all of my favorite places.  Pecan Lodge, Lockhart, Cattleack....
    DFW - 1 LGBE & Happy to Adopt More...
  • bgeaddikt
    bgeaddikt Posts: 503
    Options
    Ever since i started egging and asking for random and unique cuts i get the run around as well. Or its the other way around and im the un-educated one giving the wrong name  :|
    Austin, Tx
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    edited June 2016
    Options
    flanken ribs are the same but cut through the bone in steaks.

Most of the time I see them called "short ribs".   Try that.

Agreed, they are the same meat butchered differently.

ask if they cut their flanken ribs in house.  If yes, ask for an uncut rack
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • clifkincaid
    clifkincaid Posts: 572
    Options
    DMW said:
    Welp butcher #1 doesn't have a clue about that IMPS#123A code. This will exhaust me haha!
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    DMW said:
    Welp butcher #1 doesn't have a clue about that IMPS#123A code. This will exhaust me haha!
    You can refer them to this guide:
    https://www.ams.usda.gov/sites/default/files/media/IMPS_100_Fresh_Beef[1].pdf

Here's the excerpt from page 42:
    Item No. 123 - Beef Short Ribs - This item consists of the rib section from any rib and/or plate item and shall contain at least 2 but no more than 5 ribs (ribs 6 through 10). The dorsal side shall be at an approximate right angle to the rib bones and the M. latissimus dorsi shall be continuous across the cut surface. The ventral side shall be a straight cut which is approximately parallel to the dorsal side and does not contain any costal cartilages. The M. cutaneous trunci, diaphragm, and serous membrane (peritoneum) shall be removed. The surface fat shall be trimmed NTE ¼-inch (6 mm) at any point. The purchaser shall specify the number of ribs and the width (distance between the dorsal and ventral sides) of the rib sections. 
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Most butchers (supermarkets and what not) get subprimals that are cut to product numbers that @DMW is talking about.  Maybe some primals. I doubt he gets the whole or half dressed carcasses.

These "butchers" aren't real butchers.  They're portion control and product packagers.   Ask to speak to the manager of the department.
    Options
    @clifkincaid What part of WA you in?  There's a great butcher shop in No Portland.
    Large BGE & mini stepchild & a KJ Jr.
    The damp PNW 
  • clifkincaid
    Options
    @clifkincaid What part of WA you in?  There's a great butcher shop in No Portland.
    Olympia...I can get to Portland in a hour 15!
  • clifkincaid
    Options
    So this is a uncut flankin! 8 bones total for $55. I'll take what I can get....now do we peel the membrane off the back, cover with holy cow and 250° till 195 and start probing? This is my uneducated guess of the LBGE cook (first beef ribs) for me. And thank all of you for getting me dialed in to what I needed. Appreciate it a lot!
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    Options
    DMW said:
    Difference between a meatcutter and a butcher. but either one should be able to look that up. 
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    These hermanos know the deal, if you can get over the language barrier.  Head rollin' galore, 3 of each!
    Live shot, La Monarca Supermarket grabbin' some stuff for the fest.

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• BizGreenEgg
    BizGreenEgg Posts: 301
    Options
    Olympia...I can get to Portland in a hour 15!
    http://www.gartnersmeats.com/
    These guys are right at PDX airport.  Really good old school butcher shop.  If they don't have what you're looking for out on display, they will have it in the back, just ask.  I get a lot of whole skin on pork shanks and good quality pork belly from them.  They also have some dynamite bacon braunschweiger.
    Large BGE & mini stepchild & a KJ Jr.
    The damp PNW