Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket Queation

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Last night I put on a 9lb Brisket at 4pm. Indirect and dome temp at 275. At 11:15 pm the internal temp was 187. I could not see staying awake for the 202 degreepoint, so I wrapped it in foil, then wrapped the package in towels and put it in a cooler.
Is this piece of meat history, or would it be ok to resume cooking in the oven - or how else should I finish this piece of meat?[p]Thanks

Comments

• sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    Options
    Elvis,[p]Somethings not adding up here. That brisket should have taken about 10 or more hours, at that 275 donme temp., to get to the 187 mark. I would recalibrate your temp guage in the dome, my guess based on this is that you are cooking a LOT hotter than you think you are.[p]The meat will probably be edible but my guess is that it will be somewhat tough. If its too tough to eat, put it in a crock pot with some sauce or beef broth and cook it longer and make pulled beef out of it. It will still taste pretty good.[p]Hope this helps.[p]Troy
  • Unknown
    Options
    sprinter, - here lies the confusion! In Elder ward's recipe (same set-up) he said that an 11 pound brisket cooks in 6 - 7 hours - that's why I thought mine was taking too long.

• sprinter
    Options
    Elvis,[p]Theres not a chance, at 275 indirect, that an 11 pound brisket will be done in 6-7 hours. I've not ever read that recipe but I think there may be a mistake somewhere. Do you have a link to that recipe someplace? I'd like to take a look at it. I know EW has some great ideas and techniques for the egg but this one baffles me.[p]Troy
  • sprinter
    Options
    Elvis,[p]I see the recipe you are looking at and if I read it correctly, EW is cooking that meat DIRECT, not INDIRECT as you did it. Direct I can see getting that thing done in that amound of time. I would be interested to try it to see the texture of the meat but sounds like it may work. However, cooking it INDIRECT like you did it will take about 1-1.5 hours a pound to get that thing to the temp where it will be tender.[p]Troy