Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

MiniMax owners: PSA pertaining to the carrier handle.

Options

Comments

• egger ave
    egger ave Posts: 721
    Options
    caliking said:
    @egger ave your mod looks like it takes care of the problem. Filed away for future reference.
    Thanks, I don't like ER visits.
    1 Large BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Minimax BGE, Original wife and 3 dogs living in the heart of BBQ country in Round Rock Texas. 

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."

Albert Einstein
  • insaneh
    insaneh Posts: 112
    Options
    Good to know.
    I think I'll make the handle piece solid. Drill and tap it from both ends ought to do the trick.
    Dead smack in the middle of NH
  • chuckytheegghead
    Options
    Anyone reach out to bge for replacements yet?
  • pescadorzih
    pescadorzih Posts: 926
    Options
    Not all warm and fuzzy on the replacements as both gen 1 and gen 2 have failed. That's why I had 2 made from solid aluminum.

SE PA
    XL, Lg, Mini max and OKJ offset
  • chuckytheegghead
    Options
    Good job, those handles look great. However, as a side note you may or may not have noticed that @The_Buffalo has updated the
    picture on his post. The weld is solid all the way around rather than just tacked in a few spots. 
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    When using dissimilar metals, you may enhance the opportunity for galvanic corrosion on all contact points. Watch for paint bubbling where the metals connect. Screws that are different from the metal handles go first. Use of nylon washers help.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • FarmerTom
    FarmerTom Posts: 685
    Options
    I don't own a MM but have been following this thread.  I would take that sucker to my shop and simply weld the handles to the the frame.  Of course I'm assuming both pieces are mild steel.  At least they appear to be.  Touch up with a little paint and no more worries.  

Tommy 

Middle of Nowhere, Northern Kentucky
       1 M, 1 XL, a BlackStone,1 old Webber, a Border Collie, a German Shepherd and 3 of her pups, and 2 Yorkies

• pescadorzih
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    When using dissimilar metals, you may enhance the opportunity for galvanic corrosion on all contact points. Watch for paint bubbling where the metals connect. Screws that are different from the metal handles go first. Use of nylon washers help.
    I agree, if left outside to the elements. Mine gets put away after use.
    I used SS screw to fasten them. Plus the powder coating on the nest frame is more durable than spray paint.

SE PA
  • n8er
    n8er Posts: 114
    Options
    On their way to get powder coated, solid aluminum. 
    Egging year 'round in North Dakota
  • RiverRatSkier
    Options
    Aluminum and stainless are not necessarily friendly together.  A little bit of anti-sieze will help between the two.
  • 1move
    1move Posts: 516
    Options
    Sea2Ski said:
    Unfortunately, I had the "new" handle failed me. The part that failed was the welded 6 pointed "nut" that the bolt feeds into.  If you look at that part, the whole thing snapped out, and the welds failed.  According to the picture that is to be welded in the handle, on mine, it is on the screw. 

To me this looks like the first generation not the second. As the star shape is still attached to the screw which broke off at the welds. Am I missing something?
    XLBGE, MMBGE, CyberQ
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    If it was easy enough...someone could sell some of these as a kit. Just a thought those with the tools
    Seattle, WA
  • pescadorzih
    Options
    1move said:
    Sea2Ski said:
    Unfortunately, I had the "new" handle failed me. The part that failed was the welded 6 pointed "nut" that the bolt feeds into.  If you look at that part, the whole thing snapped out, and the welds failed.  According to the picture that is to be welded in the handle, on mine, it is on the screw. 

To me this looks like the first generation not the second. As the star shape is still attached to the screw which broke off at the welds. Am I missing something?
    GEN 2, fine thread on screw
    SE PA
  • pescadorzih
    Options
    Aluminum and stainless are not necessarily friendly together.  A little bit of anti-sieze will help between the two.
    I use anti seize on the threads.
    But, I build and repair packaging machinery for big pharma and I've seen SS bolts threaded into aluminum for 15+ yrs with next to no galvanic action visible. 
    SE PA
  • bgeaddikt
    bgeaddikt Posts: 503
    Options
    @n8er Did you tap those? Never done it myself and am kinda hesitant to buy the material and then fail tapping it
    Austin, Tx
  • n8er
    n8er Posts: 114
    edited June 2016
    Options
    bgeaddikt said:
    @n8er Did you tap those? Never done it myself and am kinda hesitant to buy the material and then fail tapping it
    I took one of the original handles to a local machine shop and asked them to duplicate in some solid stock, so it wasn't me that built them. I did ask them to make the threaded holes at least an inch deep in case I want to use longer bolts. Gonna have them powder coated in BGE green for a 2 tone look. 
    Egging year 'round in North Dakota
  • egger ave
    Options
    Yes, repair kits are available from the mother ship. 
    1 Large BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Minimax BGE, Original wife and 3 dogs living in the heart of BBQ country in Round Rock Texas. 

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."

Albert Einstein
  • chuckytheegghead
    Options
    egger ave said:
    Yes, I understand that. I was just curious if anybody actually followed through. 
  • insaneh
    edited June 2016
    Options
    bgeaddikt said:
    It's not hard. Main thing is drill it and keeping the tap straight. The right size hole. Oil. That size thread is fairly forgiving.
    Kinda depends how you're set up. If you've got a bench vice you can pull it off with relative ease. Something to guide the tap would be a definite plus.
    A tap block is nothing more than something close to the diameter of the tap
    that will help to guide it in straight.
    httpwwwlittlemachineshopcomproductsImages4804802571jpg
    That being said, by the time you buy the tap, drill, material, it might be cheaper to have a machine shop do it.

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    insaneh said:
    bgeaddikt said:
    It's not hard. Main thing is drill it and keeping the tap straight. The right size hole. Oil. That size thread is fairly forgiving.
    Kinda depends how you're set up. If you've got a bench vice you can pull it off with relative ease. Something to guide the tap would be a definite plus.
    That being said, by the time you buy the tap, drill, material, it might be cheaper to have a machine shop do it.

Or just hold BGE 100% responsible for any loss incurred by said defective carrier handles. Clearly they already know it's due to poor design and poor workmanship.  

@YukonRon I agree on the galvanic corrosion possibility (almost certainty). FWIW I haven't had this issue on mine. That doesn't mean I won't though. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • insaneh
    Options
    Very true. A poor design. It does leave the market open for aftermarket eggcessories though. ;)
  • egger ave
    Options
    egger ave said:
    Yes, I understand that. I was just curious if anybody actually followed through. 
    yes, they offered to ship the kit the same week.

Albert Einstein
  • egger ave
    Options
    FarmerTom said:
    I don't own a MM but have been following this thread.  I would take that sucker to my shop and simply weld the handles to the the frame.  Of course I'm assuming both pieces are mild steel.  At least they appear to be.  Touch up with a little paint and no more worries.  
    FarmerTom said:
    Two pcs of 1/4" threaded rod cost me $3.00 Drilling out the stock handles with a 1/4" bit took 5 mins. 30 min fix that works.

Albert Einstein
  • RiverRatSkier
    Options
    I use anti seize on the threads.
    But, I build and repair packaging machinery for big pharma and I've seen SS bolts threaded into aluminum for 15+ yrs with next to no galvanic action visible. 
    Cool... I build web converting equipment for pharma industries as well.  Anodizing the aluminum (which machinery manufacturers should always be doing) helps significantly.  Guessing your home made handles did not get sent out for anodizing.  Just trying to save some headaches if you ever need to get the handles off, and so others know in the future as well.
  • firebike
    firebike Posts: 39
    Options
    Yeah when  I got my MM, I was not that thrilled with the carry handles either. That and the fact when I did carry it I always wanted a shelf or mate with it on the side. This what I came up with. The shelves fold down and lock into place and also become the carry handles. I now realize this pic is for the mini, I made an improved version for the MM. I use the MM mainly for camping and the shelves have been a great addition.

• bgeaddikt
    Options
    @firebike I have seen that picture online but never could find the owner. Did you design and make that carrier? Or have a shop fabricate it?
    Austin, Tx
  • firebike
    firebike Posts: 39
    Options
    Yeah, I designed and built it. It has been through a few changes since this picture. Even this one for my mini did not start this way. I originally had tubular handles, but needed the side wings and went from there. I cut and bent everything at my house, although I have made a few for friends and actually had the aluminum plate laser cut first and then bent the shelves myself. Although it adds about 7-8 pounds(if I remember right) to overall weight, the usefulness is worth it. It is a handful with the MM but can't imagine not having it. Sidenote, I was really surprised at how well the aluminum sheds the heat from the bottom of the eggs. I originally had designed feet on it to give it space, but since then I have fired it up to around 700-800* with it sitting flat on a wooden table with no marks and can sit my hand right on the bottom no problem.
  • bgeaddikt
    Options
    firebike said:
    Yeah, I designed and built it. It has been through a few changes since this picture. Even this one for my mini did not start this way. I originally had tubular handles, but needed the side wings and went from there. I cut and bent everything at my house, although I have made a few for friends and actually had the aluminum plate laser cut first and then bent the shelves myself. Although it adds about 7-8 pounds(if I remember right) to overall weight, the usefulness is worth it. It is a handful with the MM but can't imagine not having it. Sidenote, I was really surprised at how well the aluminum sheds the heat from the bottom of the eggs. I originally had designed feet on it to give it space, but since then I have fired it up to around 700-800* with it sitting flat on a wooden table with no marks and can sit my hand right on the bottom no problem.
    Very impressed. Unfortunately i just ran into this problem since i sold my Minimax that had the new carrier and when i recently acquired a Minimax again it came with the old carrier and on the 2nd carry it started creaking/cracking and i could see the bolt separate from the metal band. I'm going to reach out to my local dealer about this but last time they turned me away and said to reach out to BGE directly since they denied a new or old carrier and said all Minimaxs are the same.
    Austin, Tx
  • YukonRon
    edited July 2016
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    I agree, if left outside to the elements. Mine gets put away after use.
    I used SS screw to fasten them. Plus the powder coating on the nest frame is more durable than spray paint.

Just wanted to comment on powder vs. liquid performance, I get asked this frequently, and you may or may not find this helpful. I mean this in no other fasion, just passng on some insight.

This is what I know; Not all powdercoats are created equal. In fact, there are several dozen brands of liquid coatings, that can, and consistantly do, outperform the specs for many, funtional, and non functional, powdercoating applications.

Typically when specs are written for the product, there are usually 40-50 performance characteristics to the coating. Not all products require a coating as durable as what you will find on an outdoor cable/electrical junction boxes, as an example.

The performance of the coating is intimately reliant on the preparation of the substrate, as it is on the specifications. Poorly prepared substrates, lead to coating failures.

Just because it has a powdercoat finish, is not indicative of the toughness or durability of the finish.

I hope this helps. It was not meant to be offensive to anyone.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options
    insaneh said:
    bgeaddikt said:

Or just hold BGE 100% responsible for any loss incurred by said defective carrier handles. Clearly they already know it's due to poor design and poor workmanship.  

@YukonRon I agree on the galvanic corrosion possibility (almost certainty). FWIW I haven't had this issue on mine. That doesn't mean I won't though. 
    In the automotive and aerospace industries, specifically commercial, I see it all the time, even with the most isolating of chemical metal passivating treatments. Different alloys of aluminum when making contact will show GC.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky