Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Finally Broke Down - Thermopen

Options
logchief
logchief Posts: 1,415
I (cheap bastard) finally broke down last week and ordered a Thermopen.  Got tired of my cheapo digital I got for $10 at the grocery store years ago.  It took 18 months of listening to you all rave about them to get me off the dime.  Oh and I bought the gray one, it was $10 cheaper than the other colors.  Now tell me I should have gone ahead and coughed up the $$ for the Mk4.  ;)

Also some St. Louis ribs (dry w/ Meathead's Memphis Dust recipe rub) from the other night I forgot to post.  My Bride thought they were too greasy, not for me.

LBGE - I like the hot stuff.  The big dry San Joaquin Valley, Clovis, CA 

Comments

• Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    LOL--all good. Congrats. You won't regret it. 
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • chuckytheegghead
    Options
    Ribs look great and congrats on the purchase. I've heard the gray is the fastest anyways. 
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Yellow is faster. :)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    I think you will end up loving it.  I love mine!  
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • JMCXL
    JMCXL Posts: 1,524
    Options
    Got mine a month ago and use it all the time 
    love it
    enjoy
    Northern New Jersey
     XL - Woo2, AR      L (2) - Woo, PS Woo     MM (2) - Woo       MINI

Check out https://www.grillingwithpapaj.com for some fun and more Grilling with Papa (incase you haven't gotten enough of me)

Also, check out my YouTube Page
    https://www.youtube.com/c/grillingwithpapaj

Follow me on Facebook 
    https://www.facebook.com/GrillingPapaJ/

• jabam
    jabam Posts: 1,829
    Options
    Blue is much faster FWIW!
    Central Valley CA     One large egg One chocolate lab "Halle" two chiuahuas "Skittles and PeeWee"
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    edited June 2016
    Options
    You will regret not getting back-lit.
    NOLA
  • logchief
    Options
    buzd504 said:
    You will regret not getting back-lit.
    I knew somebody was gonna gig me for not buying the El Supremo, but that's OK
  • Angela
    Angela Posts: 543
    Options
    They last forever, we love ours and it gets heavy use. I also have their ChefAlarm. 
    Egging on two larges + 36" Blackstone griddle
  • KKorkmaz
    KKorkmaz Posts: 150
    Options
    Congrats! The Thermopen is a great investment, you won't regret the purchase!!!
    Chicago, Illinois
  • Holepuncher
    Holepuncher Posts: 388
    Options
    Just bought one for my son.
    Hendersonville, TN.
  • RedSkip
    RedSkip Posts: 1,400
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Not to throw salt in the wound, but you'll want the mk4 in no time.  I personally have the gray one too, and wish I had the mk4 version for winter cooks.  With the sun going down earlier in the afternoon/evening, it can be hard to read at times.

regardless, you'll love it and wish you had more!  Great purchase...
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options
    Angela said:
    They last forever, we love ours and it gets heavy use. I also have their ChefAlarm. 
    They do as well as the battery! My oldest is 15 and still on the original battery!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • dihtn
    dihtn Posts: 234
    Options
    Love my Thermapen! 
  • NorthPilot06
    NorthPilot06 Posts: 1,179
    Options
    Orange MK4 on a BGE makes the best... Everything!
    DFW - 1 LGBE & Happy to Adopt More...
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,364
    Options
    I love the MK4, the Pops the best value but I got the MK4 as a gift and it rocks. 
    Jacksonville FL
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Don't leave it outside overnight, trust me.  And the yellow one is faster! ;)
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,094
    Options
    I hope you got a Thermapen and not a knock-off Thermopen.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • clifkincaid
    clifkincaid Posts: 572
    Options
    I love my new thermoPOP
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    I love my new thermoPOP
    They are good!  Was awarded with one at NCBB.  Great thermo.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    I have 2 Thermapens. One was my brother's that he left and I "forgot" to tell him. Bought my own and then tried to return his to him. He said to keep it cause he bought another.
    Bought a couple of thermopops because I got tired of cooking at friend's houses and them not having an insta-read thermometer. Or eating their food and it's over/under done. So I gave the pops as gifts.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• logchief
    Options
    I am a cheap bastard but not that cheap otherwise I'd still be cooking on my 14 year old gasser.  It's the real McCoy says Thermapen right on it and came in a Thermoworks box.  I also flunked spelling.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,094
    Options
    logchief said:
    I am a cheap bastard but not that cheap otherwise I'd still be cooking on my 14 year old gasser.  It's the real McCoy says Thermapen right on it and came in a Thermoworks box.  I also flunked spelling.
    I was just giving you a hard time.  Congrats on the new tool.  I use mine for everything cooking related, not just BBQ and steaks.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • FlashkaBob
    FlashkaBob Posts: 373
    Options
    logchief said:
    . . . . . Oh and I bought the gray one, it was $10 cheaper than the other colors.  
    It was $10 cheaper because the gray one is the slowest one that they make.  ;)

1 large BGE, 2 small BGE, 3 Plate setters, 1 large cast iron grid, 1 pizza stone, 1 Stoker II Wifi, 1 BBQ Guru Digi-Q II, 1 Amaze N pellet smoker and 1 empty wallet.      Seaforth, On. Ca.

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    I have the ThermoPop and it needs a new battery and will probably do that before buying a Thermopen yet.  I would like one, but not needed at this time.  I think the red one is faster.  =)
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • logchief
    Options
    logchief said:
    I was just giving you a hard time.  Congrats on the new tool.  I use mine for everything cooking related, not just BBQ and steaks.
    Yup, that's what makes this place fun.
  • tonyled
    tonyled Posts: 536
    Options
    i want an mk4 just so i can use tripple a batteries, im tired of buying 2032s

oh and orange master race checking in!!!
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    Works for all kinds of other temp measuring--My kids try to play sick, I stick it under their arms and that ends that. Testing fry oil, candy making etc. 
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • Holepuncher
    Holepuncher Posts: 388
    Options
    .....baby's bath water.
    Hendersonville, TN.