Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Eggcellent Jerked Pork

Options
RhumAndJerk
RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Deep in the heart of my freezer, I found a small boneless Pork loin roast that was dated 5/14/99. The only thing that figured I could do with it was make Jerk Pork. So I did. [p]On Friday of last week, I defrosted the meat and applied ample amounts of Eaton’s Jerk Seasoning. I let the meat sit until yesterday. Normally, I would use bricks and drip pan but I decided to grill it direct this time. I also would have slow smoked it for about 4 hours at 225.[p]I fired up my long cold egg. Thanks to KennyG’s fire grate, I did not add new lump, I did not stir the old, I just dropped in a fire starter. I let the temperature get up to 300. I tossed in a soaked lump of Guava Wood and put the pork directly on the grill.[p]After a half-hour, I flipped the pork over and again after another half-hour. Next every 15 minutes, I flipped the pork to get an even crust. After about 2 hours, the polder hit 160. I was ready to eat.[p]I let the roast sit for about 10 minutes. When I sliced it, the juices just flowed all over the place. I was amazed. Remember this had been frozen for over seven months. The term fork tender applied. My wife asked what I did differently, because she said that this was one of the best Jerk Pork Roasts that I had made. Both of my older kids ate three pieces. My youngest (now seven months) even got into the act. He was just smiling away as I was feeding him the Jerk Pork (Yes, I cut the hot exterior off for him)[p]The total time including cleanup took roughly three hours. Much improved from the turkey of the day before.[p]From now on, I am going to cook the Jerk directly on the grill.[p]Happy Grilling,
RhumAndJerk[p]

Comments