Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

papa murphy's pizza

2»

Comments

• Dnl
    Dnl Posts: 12

Today was my first shot at cooking a Papa Murphy's on our new large egg. I was actually feeling alittle intimidated on how to cook it after reading all the different suggestions on proper steps here, but took the suggestions from our dealer and it turned out perfect!

Plate setter, legs down - pizza stone directly on top, got the temp up to 500. Placed the pizza with the cardboard on the pizza stone. After 6 minutes, took the pizza and cardboard plate off and tossed some corn meal on the pizza stone. Slid the pizza off the cardboard onto the pizza stone and let cook for another 20 minutes, spinning it once on the stone. We don't have a pizza peel, yet, so had to use two spatulas to transfer it to a cutting board. The toppings were perfectly cooked and the crust was crispy but not burnt.

Needless to say we won't be making pizza in the oven again.

• kwdickert
    kwdickert Posts: 308
    edited June 2016
    you cooked your pizza at 500 for 26 minutes?! That had to have burned!
    Memphis TN - Large Green Egg
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    kwdickert said:
    you cooked your pizza at 500 for 26 minutes?! That had to have burned!
    LOL - you must have gone grave robbing to dig up that 4 year 5 month old post!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited June 2016
    Wow! :dizzy:
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,867
    I like the zombie threads.  You get to read posts from people who don't come around here no more.  Something something other forum.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Texag06ish
    Texag06ish Posts: 135
    I always cook in the tray for about 5 min then slide it off directly onto my pizza stone. 
  • kcw
    kcw Posts: 58
    I use CGS raised grid direct heat leaving the tray in place for approx 10 min. 
    directions are on CGS website.
  • kwdickert
    Yea i was researching pizza cooks last night. I forgot I was in a time warp thread. Bought a whole foods premade cooler pizza and it was not good. Got home and realized that the dough was some kind of thick tough tackbread type crap. Anyway, I shouldve gone with Papa Murphys or making it myself. When I bought my AR rig, I went with the 13" stone and that sucks because all dinner sized pizzas for two are at least 14" so now I either gotta manipulate the pizza or buy a bigger stone. 
  • volfan1
    volfan1 Posts: 164
    We had Pappa Murphy's at my sister's place in Murfreesboro. It was cooked in the oven and tasted ok, but I found the crust to be rather thick & chewy. My wife makes our dough from scratch and rolls it pretty thin, so it comes our thin & crispy on the egg. I didn't order the pizza, so I'm not sure if you can request thin crust. The toppings tasted great, and I bet it would have come out much better on an egg.
    XL & Mini & knock off medium. Western North Carolina. Formerly Franklin, TN. Formerly in Palm Harbor, FL. 
  • ob
    ob Posts: 17
    Here's my set up for pizza.  Plate setter feet down and bge feet under the pizza stone for air gap.  We like the Papa murphy's large pan pizza and leave them in the pan for entire cook.  Heat the stone for 30 minutes and cook around 550 until crust is crispy. Sometimes throw on some wood  chucks for smokey  favor
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    volfan1 said:
    We had Pappa Murphy's at my sister's place in Murfreesboro. It was cooked in the oven and tasted ok, but I found the crust to be rather thick & chewy. My wife makes our dough from scratch and rolls it pretty thin, so it comes our thin & crispy on the egg. I didn't order the pizza, so I'm not sure if you can request thin crust. The toppings tasted great, and I bet it would have come out much better on an egg.
    Sure you can order thin crust! Only thing that is different is they don't load a thin crust signature pizza with as much in toppings as a thin crust can not hold the weigh. BTW we much prefer the thin over their thick anyway. If you get the chance order a thin crust  cowboy - our favorite.

sendin you a PM n a couple minutes.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • kwdickert
    PM does a daily $5 deal where they take a smaller pie and stretch it to a 14" and do one topping. It results in a nice thin crust and you save a lot of money.
  • volfan1
    volfan1 Posts: 164
    Thanks, Ron. Good info on Papa Murphy's. Just responded to your PM.
    XL & Mini & knock off medium. Western North Carolina. Formerly Franklin, TN. Formerly in Palm Harbor, FL. 
  • BrookieP
    BrookieP Posts: 135
     :|  I really want to try this now. My father in law cooks them in his oven at almost every family get together. 
    XL BGE & 36" Blackstone
    Instagram: BGEBrooke
  • mrs_story
    mrs_story Posts: 136
    kwdickert said:
    PM does a daily $5 deal where they take a smaller pie and stretch it to a 14" and do one topping. It results in a nice thin crust and you save a lot of money.
    I like a thin, crispy crust.  That, paired with the lower price, sounds really good!
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,429
    kwdickert said:
    I get these often.  If I'm really hungry it makes a good meal for one; with salad it makes two good lunches.  I don't think I can make a pizza from scratch for that price.  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• rabBGE
    rabBGE Posts: 4

I cook pizzas on my large BGE with an inverted plate setter and pizza stone on top. I use some corn meal to keep the dough from sticking and cook at 550 degrees.  Once you have pizzas on the BGE, you will never want to make them any other way.  Below is a pic of my pizza set up.  Good luck.

I agree... We've had good luck leaving the paper on for about 10 minutes or so, shielding the crust from overcooking... Then we pull the paper tray and cook on a cornmeal sprinkled pizza stone for about another 6-7 minutes. Wish I could remember the temp... I think we tried to stick to the package directions... 425 degrees... And Isn't their tagline "Love at 425 degrees"?
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,429
    rabBGE said:
    We've had good luck leaving the paper on for about 10 minutes or so, shielding the crust from overcooking... Then we pull the paper tray and cook on a cornmeal sprinkled pizza stone for about another 6-7 minutes. 
    You don't need to bother with the cornmeal; dough won't stick to a hot stone.

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• vegas slim
    vegas slim Posts: 92
    PM is giving a large BGE away on their facebook page deadline to enter is sunday GOOD LUCK

https://www.facebook.com/papamurphyspizza/?sk=app_194975693850063&rest=1
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,943
    Found one
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Found one
    Yes you did 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    I love that this is a twice resurrected zombie thread.
  • Corv
    Corv Posts: 359
    Quick question about a pizza I'll make tonight - it will have sausage pieces on it. Should I pre-cook the sausage?
    Thanks!
    Somewhere on the Colorado Front Range
  • RyanStl
    RyanStl Posts: 1,050
    Does anyone think that free BGE is still up for grabs?
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    RyanStl said:
    Does anyone think that free BGE is still up for grabs?
    I’m guessing someone won it and then immediately sold it, that seems to be what PM fans do.