Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chance to buy some commercial bakery equipment

Options
2»

Comments

• Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    I'm going to have to get out and try blue oak then.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Grim....now that is behind you....what was your concept you were contemplating? If a BBQ restaurant, how much baking were you thinking you would be doing? Reason I ask, there are many high quality proof and bake products on the market, that really diminish the need for true baker skills today. This is unfortunate in my opinion, cause it is becoming a lost art. To carry this thought further, I know that in NO they have some of the best breads I have ever eaten. What were you thinking bread for BBQ sandwiches? The reason I ask, is sometimes you have to purchase from those who do certain things extremely well. I would think the opposite would be true, in that you might have a market today, that might be interested in purchasing your BBQ for their restaurants, delis and bars. Just a thought....and maybe the way to break into the business.

I hope my questions above and earlier input was viewed in the light it was intended which is to be helpful. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • badinfluence
    badinfluence Posts: 1,774
    Options
    Hey Grim why not just get a food truck. Work when you want and don't when you don't feel like it. Once word of mouth of how good your food is THEY (customers) seek you out. I have been getting call after call to do events and it has only been 1 year I have had mine. Just a option.
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    My plan is for private catering. A lot less headache than serving to the public, at least where I live.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    There isn't much Q in NOLA because there isn't that much demand for it.  It's such a competitive market you really have to have your game together to make it.  You can do that with a sound business plan, obviously the food needs to be top-notch (or a great location and average).  Takes a lot of capitol to get in the game at an average level.  If you go food-truck or ghetto-shack, you can put in sweat equity and make a name for yourself.  If you can do that without burning out, you have some serious fortitude.
    Options
    I'm with @Eggcelsior. Food industry isn't something I want to do everyday. I enjoy cooking and like input on what people think of my food. Thought of private catering. Maybe even a dinner club every other month at a different location. With menu head count and money up front. If it was done right it could be cool. 

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • badinfluence
    badinfluence Posts: 1,774
    Options
    The food truck was tough to get going and getting the name out there. But after 1 year the name is out there enough that we are being called for private events and public events. Yes catering is the way to go as you get your money no matter how many show up. it is not easy but nothing worth working for is. I still say I have never enjoyed working so hard in all my life's!
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    The food truck was tough to get going and getting the name out there. But after 1 year the name is out there enough that we are being called for private events and public events. Yes catering is the way to go as you get your money no matter how many show up. it is not easy but nothing worth working for is. I still say I have never enjoyed working so hard in all my life's!
    That is outstanding. When you have passion and enjoy it....it really is not like work. Congrats and keep on keepin on. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Dondgc
    Dondgc Posts: 709
    Options
    There isn't much Q in NOLA because there isn't that much demand for it.  .
    We need to get together with some other NOLA folks for lunch and try some places out. Have you been to Blue Oak yet? Anything decent on your side of the river?
    New Orleans LA
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    I had a concept I originally drew up for a friend but he could never get his stuff together.  Smoke meat and bake the bread in a central location.  These are the artisan pieces anyhow. Then set up 4-5 (or more) kiosk type stations. Think food courts, airport, ball field, gas stations, events/festivals, catering and bread contracts with restaurants.  I have worked nothing but long hours in my life, but for considerably better pay and it's a very different business.  I like the concept, but I'm a salesperson not a chef.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Dondgc said:
    There isn't much Q in NOLA because there isn't that much demand for it.  .
    We need to get together with some other NOLA folks for lunch and try some places out. Have you been to Blue Oak yet? Anything decent on your side of the river?

@Dondgc
    No, I haven't been there.  Sounds like a good plan.  Blue Oak has great reviews and it's in a nice location.
    Options
    @Thatgrimguy - If you need breads, I can get you hooked up with Hydel's Bakery.  I have a good friend marrying into the family.

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!