Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BBQ Cook Off! Need help!

Options
Guys, help! I am hosing a smoke off at my house next weekend and I need some ideas on what to make! I was thinking brisket, but I've never made it before. I have tons of experience with pork butts, ribs, pulled beef, and beef shorties, but I am I risking too much by doing a brisket for the first time for a friendly competition??
Denver, CO

Comments

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    edited June 2016
    Options
    If it's a smoke off (and for bragging rights) I'd stick to something you know that will beat your buddies. I'm sure memebers here and elsewhere will tell you that they've spent thousands of dollars on brisket and still trying to perfect it. It's can be really good or really average. I'd skip if it's the first time. Just my opinion though. If it's just more for fun and will feed hungry bellies go for it.
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    +1^^^^

if it's a competition go with what you know 
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    Options
    I wouldn't risk a brisket. I've had fabulous ones and subpar ones, all cooked the same. Had a large party two weeks ago and served pulled pork. Impressive and easy. A few folks were disappointed that I didn't have brisket, but I didn't want the aggravation. 
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,842
    Options
    Beef ribs might be a good move.  They're a special treat, but not as temperamental as brisket.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    Strongly agree with the others:  Make what you have experience making, something you've made wonderfully many times and you know you're good at. And make it superb!

This is not a time to experiment with something that might be a disaster.
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    Dissenting advice here.  full packer brisket.   The impact goes beyond that wow factor and if you follow what egg nation did over memorial day weekend, you will NAIL it!
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    If you were dialed in on brisket that's one thing.  And your first effort might be your best.  Id advise against brisket and echo the above.  Or you reject the machine.  Either way, have fun!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • westernbbq
    Options
    With a Big Green Egg, it is hard to screw up a brisket.  I go whole packer at 210 for 1.5 hr per lb, until internal temp is 175, then i wrap it and leave it on until its 195 or so

If you have a guru or some type of temp controller device, go for it.    We will all be supporting you all the way Brotha!
  • tonyled
    tonyled Posts: 536
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    Beef ribs might be a good move.  They're a special treat, but not as temperamental as brisket.
    no trying to hijack the thread but where are you finding your beef ribs in SA?

thanks
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    It's a friendly get together. If you want to try a brisket, go for it. Cooking a brisket isn't rocket science or brain surgery. If it sucks, at least you'll have something else to eat. 
  • charliebatutis
    Options
    smoke chicken thighs in butter. rub some chicken thighs with something sweet & spice; be sure to get rub under the skin. Throw a stick of butter in each drip pan and line the drip pan in thighs. It doesn't take long and will be unique. I've gone this route a couple times.
  • Mantoothian
    Options
    Ok, so question on the beef ribs... Can I possibly fit enough on my L to satisfy 12-15 people? Also, can you FTC shorties to keep them warm or will they be best right off the grill?
    Denver, CO
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Ok, so question on the beef ribs... Can I possibly fit enough on my L to satisfy 12-15 people? Also, can you FTC shorties to keep them warm or will they be best right off the grill?
    If you cook a whole slab of short ribs like plate short ribs or chuck short ribs it will be a lot of food.  You could cook up a couple of slabs and then just cut them into cubes after they have cooked (remove them from the bones).  Here is a recipe from Adam Perry Lang that does this:

http://www.fearlesskitchen.com/2010/03/recipe-smoked-beef-short-ribs-guest-post-from-fearless-grill.html

Or you could just buy the pre-cut individual shorties like you see at the grocery store.  I think you could squeeze 12-15 on although you might need a 2nd level of cooking.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Mantoothian
    Options

Hey guys, going with individual short ribs. I cooked a few for myself last weekend at 250* for roughly 4.5-5 hrs, but how long should I plan for if I'm cooking ~16-18? I have a Large with a second 14" cooking level. Is 18 ribs even plausible? Will the cook time be significantly longer than when I cooked 4 for myself? Can I FTC if they are done early or is it better to throw them in a pan covered in foil and keep warm in the oven?

Thanks for all the help!

Denver, CO
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    Briskets are overrated
    New Albany, Ohio 

• Big_Green_Craig
    Big_Green_Craig Posts: 1,578
    Options
    Food for thought, don't try something new when you are trying to impress and /or competing. Always run a trial run before hand. Stick with something you are comfortable with and know how to cook. 
  • Mantoothian
    Options
    How many shorties can I fit on a L with 2 cooking levels?
    Denver, CO
  • 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    Options
    With an AR you can get four racks on (twelve total ribs).  They are huge, however, and that is going to be too much if others are cooking too.   A rib a person is a TON of food with those
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • 20stone
    Options
    Food for thought, don't try something new when you are trying to impress and /or competing. Always run a trial run before hand. Stick with something you are comfortable with and know how to cook
    Team NFA likes to save its experimentin' for EggFests
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove

Austin, TX
  • Mantoothian
    Options
    @20stone so I am having my butcher cut them into the individual short ribs, like you would but at the super market. I got 2 dozen. Do you know many of those prepped shorties come out of a full rack?
    Denver, CO
  • 20stone
    Options
    @20stone so I am having my butcher cut them into the individual short ribs, like you would but at the super market. I got 2 dozen. Do you know many of those prepped shorties come out of a full rack?
    Someone else might be able to answer better than me.  I buy mine as plate ribs (the first three, IIRC), whereas short ribs cut like you describe are the back four (also, IIRC).  The meat on the plate ribs is generally thicker (think "The Flinstones").  Four racks of plate ribs are about 30 lbs, total.  I don't know the math for short ribs cut crosswise.
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove

Austin, TX
  • NonaScott
    NonaScott Posts: 446
    Options
    Her is one rack of sort ribs on my large. 4 bones.

here they are cooked

Here they they are sliced

Narcoossee, FL

LBGE, Nest, Mates, Plate Setter, Ash Tool. I'm a simple guy.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,842
    Options
    @tonyled, I get these from Bolner's.  If you don't like what they have on display, they will cut them to order.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,383
    Options
    @NonaScott -  now that is a cook of beauty.  Most eggcellent.  I am now calling a beef rib audible for this weekend.  And for that I do thank you.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • NonaScott
    NonaScott Posts: 446
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    @NonaScott -  now that is a cook of beauty.  Most eggcellent.  I am now calling a beef rib audible for this weekend.  And for that I do thank you.
    Glad I could help you decide.
    Narcoossee, FL

LBGE, Nest, Mates, Plate Setter, Ash Tool. I'm a simple guy.
  • tonyled
    tonyled Posts: 536
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    @tonyled, I get these from Bolner's.  If you don't like what they have on display, they will cut them to order.
    gracias!  i havent tried bolners yet but will now.  im on the ne side so i usually go to granzins or penshorns
  • KKorkmaz
    KKorkmaz Posts: 150
    Options
    OMG those ribs look so good! Anyone know where I can find ribs this quality in Chicago??!??
    Chicago, Illinois
  • westernbbq
    Options
    Nice job.  On those beefy ribs!

• 20stone
    edited June 2016
    Options
    KKorkmaz said:
    OMG those ribs look so good! Anyone know where I can find ribs this quality in Chicago??!??
    In town, The Butcher and Larder

In the northern burbs, I used to go to Al's Market in Wilmette. He keeps a walk in full of dry aged prime loins.  You may need to order ahead for beef ribs
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove

Austin, TX
  • KKorkmaz
    KKorkmaz Posts: 150
    Options
    Great, I've been thinking of trying Butcher and Larder for beef ribs (afraid of the hit in my wallet) and I'm planning on attending there 1 year anniversary party at Local Foods this afternoon, maybe I'll give these a shot tonight. 

Thanks for for the info, I should ask for "beef plate ribs"?
    Chicago, Illinois