Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cast iron grill

Options
2»

Comments

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I have a CI grid. Bought it because I had always wanted one. Don't use it much any more. Personally, I prefer to sear in a CI skillet or griddle, or a piece of steel plate for an edge to edge sear. Do grid marks look better? Yep, but...

Saw a comment by Kenji (Serious Eats) the other day. No context here (we were discussing eggs), but it fits. He said, "Sort of like how if I see a steak with grill marks, I'm already thinking I probably won't enjoy it because it was cooked by someone who cares more about the appearance of good technique than actual good technique, and yet, perfect diamond grill marks is something cooks aspire to." Apparently, a slap in the face to grill mark fans. I think he's exaggerating, but he makes a point. Maillard is good. More Maillard is better.

You can buy a CI skillet for $20. Yard sale, $1!
    I don't believe it fits Q, at least from what I've gathered.  PAHs can be mutagenic, and carcinogenic, but they taste oh so good.  When using a pan or griddle on the egg, burgers are a great example, steak too...the fat pools around the patty, instead of burning in the grooves of the grill grates or dropping into the fire itself.  

Quit using my griddle on the egg to sear because I could not tell a difference from the flavor of that, vs using my griddle on the stovetop.  It's why I can make the entire Onc unit go nuts when I reheat a grilled burger.  PAHs, not the sear.

Don't be fooled.  Just because the sear isn't as pronounced, doesn't mean it lacks grilled flavor.

It's all personal preference, but the griddles and pans are used for searing on the cooktop.  And I love me some Mallmann.  Not worth the effort IMO, but his holistic, and rustic, approach to a dining experience, it definitely is.  He clearly takes pride in showmanship, and should.  He's a fantastic chef.

Another reason why championship steak cookers use Grill Grates vs a pan or griddle....not just asthetics.  This isn't stupid KCBS Parkay, brown sugar, and honey BS.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Wardster
    Wardster Posts: 1,006
    Options
    I don't think I have used mine in 10+ years.
    Apollo Beach, FL
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,896
    Options
    Wardster said:
    I don't think I have used mine in 10+ years.
    LOL - and I haven't removed mine in 14+ years. I guess it's what you get accustomed to using!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Focker
    Options
    Started with CI pre egg.  Listened to the folks on the old forum and went to SS, the new thang, like Rockwood.  

Now I'm back to CI.  And cooking more on my Webers.
    Guess I never settle?
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Focker said:
    Started with CI pre egg.  Listened to the folks on the old forum and went to SS, the new thang, like Rockwood.  

Guess I never settle?
    Dude, you're reckless!  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,896
    Options
    Focker said:

Guess I never settle?
    Brandon, you are just a trouble making, sh*t stirrer, but I like you like a brother anyway! =)
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Focker
    Options
    RRP said:
    Focker said:

Guess I never settle?
    Brandon, you are just a trouble making, sh*t stirrer, but I like you like a brother anyway! =)
    Likewise.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities