Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Replacement Dome Thermometer?

Options
Have noticed recently my dome thermo is a little off.  Tried calibrating and it's still off at temps over 350.   Did a clean burn today and thought I'd go ahead and order a new thermometer while I'm at it.   Any recommendations that might be better than the BGE version?
Athens, GA
XL BGE, Large BGE and RecTec590

Comments

• tonkaegger
    tonkaegger Posts: 35
    Options
    smokeware.com
    Twin Cities, Minn. XL BGE, cheap barrel smoker and old Weber kettle

• jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    How do you know its off at temps over 350º?  If you are using a digital remote to tell, why not use the digital?

Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• bodski
    bodski Posts: 463
    Options
    I replaced mine with one from smokeware, which has been working well and seems to need calibration less frequently..

Cincinnati

LBGE, Weber Kettle

• dougcrann
    dougcrann Posts: 1,129
    Options
    Went thru 2 Smokeware thermometers in under 6 months...never again. I use Tel-Tru...
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    Been thru two Tru-Tels, terrible customer service, I'm a Smokeware guy now. I will never use Tru Tel again.
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    haha, I bought two thermos direct from TelTru. About 4 years ago. They don't steam up like the old non-TelTrus that BGE used to provide. Both have been perfect so far. Well, except the crystal breaks when you drop it on a stone patio. Thermo still works though.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,142
    Options
    I'm thinking of getting the black smoke ware 3" off amazon, myself...
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    Big thumbs-up for Smokeware.  Good thermometer, great people.
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • Steve76
    Steve76 Posts: 60
    Options
    How do you know its off at temps over 350º?  If you are using a digital remote to tell, why not use the digital?

Can this work? Can I use the second probe as a dome temp indicator? Anyone done this?

Lutz, FL (next to the swamp), LBGE, Pizza stone, Egg Handler, Flame boss 300, Thermapen, Kick Ash basket &  Webber Summit for odds and ends and short, or "honey do", cooks!  
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    See my picture above.  That is the probe from an iGrill2.  Fits the egg dome hole nicely.  The diameter of some probes may be too big to fit, but the iGrill2 fit - just adjust the silicone piece to keep the probe from sticking too far into the grill.

Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    been very happy with my smokeware black face
    Phoenix 
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Replaced my large thermo with a Teltru about 6yrs ago no problems since.  The mini and small came with TelTru and work great.   

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • BikerBob
    BikerBob Posts: 284
    Options
    My Tel True got wrapped one time too many and I decided not to try and re-calibrate as much as was needed. A new one was about $30.00 at a BGE dealer.
    Cooking on the coast
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,375
    Options
    Have not had any issues with the tel-tru dome thermos drifting.  That said, I only check at the boiling water point so the linearity may be off-never have worried about it.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.