Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Anyone find a good container/shaker for homemade rubs?

Options
I did not think this would be so difficult. I like to always keep a batch of Mickey's coffee rub and a a SPOG version on hand. I can be picky, but I haven't been able to find a good size container that doubles as a shaker and yet seals reasonably well. It doesn't have to be glass, but the closest thing I found was a cheap, flimsy type of plastic and I'm hoping to find something a little nicer. Anyway, just wonder how folks store their rubs and what they found and where, or what works best for them. Currently, I'm storing the larger batch in sealed containers and then refilling smaller shaker bottles.
Stillwater, MN

Comments

• westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    I use ziploc bags and a slotted spoon to sprinkle rubs on meat.  It has been effective as i am a germ cross contamination freak and a long spoon handle is great to get into a bag withput worryimg about washing off a cylindrical 
    Shaker/container.  I can use both hands on a shoulder or brisket to rotate and fljp, and then use the long handled spoon without worrying about contamination of unused rub or its container.  The.n when im all done i wash hands well and zeal up the spice ziploc and pit back in fridge
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    These started as spice containers from the store - paprika, onion powder and garlic powder if I remember correctly.  They hold a decent amount.  The larger was a 16 oz paprika container. The smaller are the 9-10 oz containers.

Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,345
    Options
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• Dredger
    Dredger Posts: 1,468
    Options
    I usually make mine in smaller batches and use this glass shaker with an adjustable stainless steel lid. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00005EBH5/  It holds around a cup and has adjustable sized holes on the top. If I don't use it all in one application, I cut a small square of waxed paper to put on the top of the jar and then put the lid on and tighten down. I haven't been able to find an adjustable shaker that seals completely, but this works for me. It gets very humid here, so I need a good seal.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    edited June 2016
    Options
    The typical glass shaker with large perforated  screw on top works well. Just cover the glass with plastic wrap and the screw on the cap when storing long term. See here https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B009LR3NUM?psc=1
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    These started as spice containers from the store - paprika, onion powder and garlic powder if I remember correctly.  They hold a decent amount.  The larger was a 16 oz paprika container. The smaller are the 9-10 oz containers.

I use the same thing, and have done so for years.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    I just keep the little bottles herbs and spices come in from the store when they're empty, and I use those for rubs I make.  They're pretty small, but usually when I make a rub, I use a fair bit of it the first time, and then what's left fits in a couple or a few of those little bottles.  I also figure the smaller the bottle the better in that a few small bottles that are full probably are preserving the rub better than a bigger bottle that's more empty.
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    I drilled the top of a mason jar and use it. I took the top from another one that I just put over the drilled one and close it to seal it when I am done and it's air tight.
  • DaveRichardson
    DaveRichardson Posts: 2,324
    Options
    @Lit just stole my thunder....  That's the same thing I do.  The only I do differently is that when I am done with the rub, I will, as he said, change back to a regular mason jar lid, and then use the Foodsaver bottle attachment to vac out as much air and seal the bottle to preserve it.

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    Oakridge BBQ sells the best shaker I have ever used.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    I have a SS shaker I bought when I make my own rubs and if there is any left I then seal it in a Ziploc.  The other thing I do is re-use old rub containers after I have washed them out, especially the larger ones when I buy spices rubs in bulk.  My brother in law goes a step farther and puts all his competition rubs that are in sealed bottles in Ziploc's, then in a large Tupperware container.  
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    Visit your local Penzeys store.  They sell the same glass shakers separately that their spices are sold in.  They seal well.  The sub-lid (shaker top) with the shaker holes can be changed to match your needs.  (PS ... got the wrong size holes, simply ask for a few of the right size when you're in the store ... no cost)

Go to this URL: https://www.penzeys.com/shop/fun-stuff/  and click on "Empty Jars."  Look at the offerings with a shaker top.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    I use a pint canning jar and just drill some holes in the lid.
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • BrookieP
    BrookieP Posts: 135
    Options
    Mason Jar
    XL BGE & 36" Blackstone
    Instagram: BGEBrooke
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    I just reuse the containers that commercial rubs I buy come in until my wife finds the empty ones and puts them in recycling.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    BrookieP said:
    Mason Jar
    I'm impressed 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,748
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the the great suggestions.
    Stillwater, MN
  • andrewwesty
    Options
    I hit up my local restaurant supply store and they pointed me toward an inexpensive shaker that came with 3 or 4 different tops with different hole sizes.  They had several options of shakers and it was a fairly small shop.  YMMV
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

I like the mason jar idea, and might give that a whirl.

I've got the stainless ones, but I usually just use the large costco size empty spice containers.  I like using the over sized containers - makes for better mixing as long as they aren't more than 3/4 full.

Good enough for Franklin...

Phoenix 
  • DaveRichardson
    DaveRichardson Posts: 2,324
    Options
    Zmokin said:
    Looks like the one they use at the Hibachi place!!!

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    I keep finished containers rinse them and tear the label off.
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • jvencius
    jvencius Posts: 19
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Ball makes lids for, IIRC, 16 oz mason jars that have flip-up covered shaker openings.  I found them at Target and they were only ~$3 for a two-pack (was able to use jars we already had).
  • Davie755
    Davie755 Posts: 54
    Options
    I bought some 16oz spice shakers from ULine. I store bulk herbs from the store and homemade rubs in them. 
    XL BGE - Adjustable rig combo, Rutland gasket, 4:11 Positrac outback, 750 double pumper, Edelbrock intake
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Have tried many, even drilling more, and larger, holes.  Prefer using my hands, I am a nurse though.  Seems like no matter the hole diameter, settling, restriction, hold some ingredients back.

Throw everything in a Ziplok, stir with fingers, grab a large pinch, and make it rain.  Repeat.  The whole dry hand wet hand/sterile hand vs clean hand technique.  Rub it in a little to blend and coat evenly with nondominant gloved wet hand.  When done, roll like a bag of weed to get most of the air out, toss bag in freezer.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    I have had good luck using the plastic containers that Kraft (and other brands) parmesan cheese come in.  They have large holes and a lid that snaps over them.  Holds a lot of rub.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • Angela
    Angela Posts: 543
    Options
    I use canning jars and the herb shaker lids that Ball sells. 
    Egging on two larges + 36" Blackstone griddle
  • abpgwolf
    abpgwolf Posts: 559
    Options
    Here is what I use, for $2 each they cant be beat.
    https://www.therestaurantstore.com/items/1646 

If I'm storing the rub, I'll cover the top with plastic and screw on the lid.

Lititz, PA – XL BGE

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I have some of the Penzey's glass jars, but mostly, I just re-use the plastic grocery store spice jars once they are empty. I prefer the flip top style (which Penzey's is not), though I'm sure they aren't as airtight.

@abpgwolf, here's the corrected link. https://www.therestaurantstore.com/items/1646
    Nice shakers, but covering the top with plastic would get old. For salt maybe, but I haven't used a salt shaker in years.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• MattBTI
    MattBTI Posts: 417
    Options
    Parmesan Cheese Shakers work well
    Pratt, KS