Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Butt in the style of @RRP

Options
ryantt
ryantt Posts: 2,532
Not much time today so I decided to cook a butt @RRP aka Ron  style.  Used my SMOBOT to hold steady at 300.  

XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    edited June 2016
    Options
    ryantt said:
    Not much time today so I decided to cook a butt @RRP aka Ron  style.  
    I thought that Ron style was when you wrapped the meat in 100 dollar bills instead of foil or butcher paper =)

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Great looking grub brother. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options
    Not sure how I got associated with your cook. Must have been some post from long past. I went right from lo & slo at 250 to 350 turbo, no foil several years ago. 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • ryantt
    edited June 2016
    Options
    @RRP you inspired me to go turbo, not just kind of turbo at 275  As you've stated many times there is no difference in quality.  

@SGH thank you sir.  You know if I had your money I could cook more and have a few units to cook on. 

• ryantt
    Options
    SGH said:
    ryantt said:
    I thought that Ron style was when you wrapped the meat in 100 dollar bills instead of foil or butcher paper =)
    Times must be hard if he's  only using100 bills.....

• RRP
    Options
    ryantt said:
    SGH said:
    ryantt said:
    Times must be hard if he's  only using100 bills.....
    pssssst...Scottie's eyesight is going bad from shall we just say...when he was a young man...what he thought were $100 bills were actually $1,000 bills from Monoply. PLEASE dont tell his employer!
  • RRP
    Options
    ryantt said:
    @RRP you inspired me to go turbo, not just kind of turbo at 275  As you've stated many times there is no difference in quality.  

Thanks for explaining. Yes I am a 350 turbo fan now, but I never foil as to me that messes up the bark...but to each his own! 
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Nice looking hunk O pig!! 

To the best of my memory turbo used to cook at 275° for a couple of hours than wrap in foil,crank egg to 350° and ride it out till it 200 or so.  Then in early 2013 @500 did a straight 350° no foil cook (maybe someone before). Then the fad caught on and several peeps started cooking this butts this way. It's the only way I do pork butts now. Been doing it like this since March of 2013.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • ryantt
    Options
    @Mattman3969 thanks for the info.  Holding 300 at the cooking grid gave me a dome of About 350.  Next time I think a I may try 350 at the cooking grid to see how it goes.  I will have to take the sugar out of my rub as I think it may burn.  

500 Posts: 3,177
    Options
    Nice looking hunk O pig!! 

To the best of my memory turbo used to cook at 275° for a couple of hours than wrap in foil,crank egg to 350° and ride it out till it 200 or so.  Then in early 2013 @500 did a straight 350° no foil cook (maybe someone before). Then the fad caught on and several peeps started cooking this butts this way. It's the only way I do pork butts now. Been doing it like this since March of 2013.  
    Can't say I started a revolution but Thanks for the props @Mattman3969
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009