Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Shooting in Orlando

Comments

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,936
    edited June 2016
    blasting said:

Isis is laughing at us.  They attack, and our response is to limit our ability to protect ourselves.   It's a shame our leaders are not as smart as isis.

Actually our response to date has mostly been to take out their leaders with air strikes.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/us-air-strikes-kill-isis-leader-maher-al-bilawi-in-iraqi-city-of-fallujah-a7053061.html

You can say we're not fighting this the right way. That's fine.  But suggesting we're tying our hands behind our backs is willful ignorance.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • jabam
    jabam Posts: 1,829
    I've said it before on this site and got blasted for it. But I will say it again. Time to quit being PC and start profiling. 
    Central Valley CA     One large egg One chocolate lab "Halle" two chiuahuas "Skittles and PeeWee"
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    edited June 2016
    Willful ignorance would be  gutting the military,  and flying a few symbolic daily missions.  This is what I would call a total failure.  The evidence is the 100 dead and wounded from last night.   

I want to see 1000 missions a day hunting the animals.  Not 10-20 just to say we are doing something.

I think it's insulting to those that die, for our leaders to jump alll over gun control as the standard resonse.  To me, that qualifies as the willful ignorance of which you speak.  Hell, Obama still won't even utter the words islamic terrrorist.
    Phoenix 
  • gerhardk
    gerhardk Posts: 942
    I work in a gun-free zone and churches are gun-free zones.  So other than when I'm at work or church I'm carrying.
    What is the world coming to when you can't even bring a gun to church?

regardless, i'm proud to call myaelf a member of the egghead forum: the one place one the planet that seems to have this all figured out. 
    If it were legal and permitted, I would.
    It just seems like the Christian thing to do.
  • JohnInCarolina
    jabam said:
    I've said it before on this site and got blasted for it. But I will say it again. Time to quit being PC and start profiling. 
    The FBI knew about this guy for years.  
  • jabam
    jabam said:
    If that's the case then the FBI isn't doing their job or they have their hands tied by all the PC BS
    Central Valley CA     One large egg One chocolate lab "Halle" two chiuahuas "Skittles and PeeWee"
  • JohnInCarolina
    blasting said:
    Willful ignorance would be  gutting the military,  and flying a few symbolic daily missions.  This is what I would call a total failure.  The evidence is the 100 dead and wounded from last night.   

I want to see 1000 missions a day hunting the animals.  Not 10-20 just to say we are doing something.

I think it's insulting to those that die, for our leaders to jump alll over gun control as the standard resonse.  To me, that qualifies as the willful ignorance of which you speak.  Hell, Obama still won't even utter the words islamic terrrorist.
    So your contention is that the military is just launching air strikes for symbolic reasons, but somehow - still managing to take out ISIS leaders?  OK. 

A thousand missions a day is useless without specific targets and Intel.  But yeah, we should totally due that instead of acting like such wimps. 

Lol at "Islamic terrorist" - as though somehow saying that makes everything better.  

Gun control is hard, so let's focus on *realistic* goals like building giant walls, banning an entire faith and deporting 11 million people.  Vote for Trump!
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Happy for you, Fred. I'm glad you live on a street where when people are murdered you can still feel safe because you are carrying a weapon all the time. Even when you get your mail 

me? Personally i'd gtfo of that neighborhood and move to a place where I wasn't afraid all the time. But that's me. I'm a pvssy.
    Is that what you tell the people in the projects? Just move, you dummies? I think not. Come on. I don't own a gun, fwiw. 
  • JohnInCarolina
    edited June 2016
    jabam said:
    jabam said:
    If that's the case then the FBI isn't doing their job or they have their hands tied by all the PC BS
    Right - their hands are tied by political correctness.  That must be it.

Regardless, no amount of profiling would've helped here.

• JohnInCarolina
    Happy for you, Fred. I'm glad you live on a street where when people are murdered you can still feel safe because you are carrying a weapon all the time. Even when you get your mail 

me? Personally i'd gtfo of that neighborhood and move to a place where I wasn't afraid all the time. But that's me. I'm a pvssy.
    His government job won't let him relocate.  I think this is why Fred hates the government.
  • jabam
    jabam said:
    jabam said:

jabam said:
    jabam said:

Do you know that for a fact?
  • blasting
    blasting said:

So your contention is that the military is just launching air strikes for symbolic reasons, but somehow - still managing to take out ISIS leaders?  OK. 

A thousand missions a day is useless without specific targets and Intel.  But yeah, we should totally due that instead of acting like such wimps. 

Lol at "Islamic terrorist" - as though somehow saying that makes everything better.  

Gun control is hard, so let's focus on *realistic* goals like building giant walls, banning an entire faith and deporting 11 million people.  Vote for Trump!
    Common John.   We are flying 1/100 of the missions we used to.  There is no part of the military that hasn't been gutted over the last 7 years.  How serious are we right now?

Saying islamic terrorism doesn't win any battles, but I'd have a lot more confidence if the guy in charge if he wasn't aggressively in denial.

Phoenix 
  • bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    blasting said:

You sir need to pick up a book written by those that served over there.  Not just listening to the news that the left wing liberals spew.  Then tell me about the Intel that we 'don't' have or the useless missions that we do with our hands behind our backs.  He is hitting the nail on the head about our air strikes. Please do not only us all a favor, but yourself a favor by picking up a book.  

Him not not acknowleding that it was ineed a radical Muslim shows how politically correct we have become. He immediately went to gun control laws and didn't acknowledge the fact that it was indeed a Muslim behind the attack. Because we can't categorize a group and hurt the feeling based on the actions of a few hundred people that have killed hundreds of thousands, but we can classify all gun owners based on the action of a few? 

Geeze man, do you even know what's going on in the world? Ever heard of Venezuela? How about all of the rapes and attacks that have happened in Europe since them letting in all of the peaceful Muslim refugees? 

Incomming: the attack of the liberals 

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,344
    jabam said:
    I'm all for the government profiling.

I'd love to see them profiling and weeding out the crappy/incompetent/inattentive operators of motor vehicles seeing how ALL of us are far more likely to be killed on any given day due to a car crash rather than by a bullet from a mentally disturbed moron with a gun(s).
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• bhedges1987
    jabam said:
    jabam said:

Do you know how many US soldiers have lost their lives in war might I add by not attacking someone in the Middle East because of PC and profiling for fear they might be wrong? Hundreds and hundreds. Our leaders are forcing it on us there and here and it is resulting in many lives lost. 

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,314
    @blasting - You ever serve in the military and if so have you ever given any thought to just what it means to serve the populace of this country?  
    There is a reason for the command and control structure we have and it has much more significance than any singular act anywhere on this planet.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • XC242
    XC242 Posts: 1,208
    jabam said:
    Not using profiling is more a matter of constitutionality than being politically correct. Courts have allowed it to be used in certain circumstances. 
    LBGE (still waitin' for my free T-Shirt), DIgiQ DX2 (In Blue, cause it's the fastest), Heavy Duty Kick Ash Basket, Mc Farland, WI. :glasses:  B)
    If it wasn't for my BGE I'd have no use for my backyard...
  • blasting

Political correctness kills.

Phoenix 
  • JohnInCarolina
    @jabam - the argument for profiling is usually that it would help the government narrowly focus their efforts on a tighter group, so that they could identify people they would have otherwise missed.   

Since the FBI knew about this guy already, well... profiling wouldn't have helped.
  • JohnInCarolina
    blasting said:

You sir need to pick up a book written by those that served over there.  Not just listening to the news that the left wing liberals spew.  Then tell me about the Intel that we 'don't' have or the useless missions that we do with our hands behind our backs.  He is hitting the nail on the head about our air strikes. Please do not only us all a favor, but yourself a favor by picking up a book.  

Do you have a book you would recommend?  Perhaps a novella by Sean Hannity?
  • blasting
    @lousubcap. No, I was not eligible when I attempted to serve.  I understand your comment, but not how it relates?
    Phoenix 
  • jabam
    @JohnInCarolina so what would you do? Just curious where you stand on all this. Not trying to antagonize, just wanting to hear your view. 
  • bhedges1987
    edited June 2016
    blasting said:

Level zero heroes. But nice job immediately jumping to conclusions and douchebaggery. Typical liberal behavior.  Though I am surprised you didn't bring out the "right wing southern typing" you typically jump to in defense of your arguments.

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

• JohnInCarolina
    blasting said:

Level zero heroes. But nice job immediately jumping to conclusions and douchebaggery. Typical liberal behavior. 
    How about this book?  

• bhedges1987
    blasting said:

Level zero heroes. But nice job immediately jumping to conclusions and douchebaggery. Typical liberal behavior. 
    How about this book?  

Haven't read it. I tend to enjoy a more balanced read. Not a one sided story to fit what I want to read which sounds exactly like something up your alley. Find something that will go with what you probably already think and have heard.... Sounds like a biased snooze fest sorry....

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    blasting said:

Level zero heroes. But nice job immediately jumping to conclusions and douchebaggery. Typical liberal behavior.  Though I am surprised you didn't bring out the "right wing southern typing" you typically jump to in defense of your arguments.
    I don't think he is actually the "typical liberal" you believe him to be.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • blasting
    edited June 2016

I don't think he is actually the "typical liberal" you believe him to be

I would agree with this.  John's a pretty even keeled liberal in my experience
    Phoenix 
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,344
    blasting said:

How about this book?  

Haven't read it. I tend to enjoy a more balanced read. Not a one sided story to fit what I want to read which sounds exactly like something up your alley. Find something that will go with what you probably already think and have heard.... Sounds like a biased snooze fest sorry....
    A "more balanced read". Yeah...I'm sure that is exactly what you read.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• JohnInCarolina
    edited June 2016
    blasting said:

How about this book?  

I would only suggest that not all books on Iraq and Afghanistan give the same perspective.  It is probably best to read more than one or two, in addition to speaking with people who've served.