Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Southern Seafood. In the style of Dixie.

Options
SGH
SGH Posts: 28,791
Due to work, I haven't got to do much cooking at all for the past two months. Had a little free time today and I thought why not. With shrimp and crab season in full swing, I thought I would go that route instead of Q. Nothing big as this was just a tune up cook to get back in the swing of things. 
Ingrediants and brands I prefer. 

Fresh sweet corn out of a friends patch. 

Various additions. 

Fresh soft shells cleaned. 

Getting them ready. 

In the hot peanut oil they go. 

Some good Gulf shrimp. 

Some shrimp and stuff for the boil. 

I thought what the heck, I would deep fry a few claws as well. 

The finale. For better or worse. 

Again, nothing big or fancy. But it turned out pretty good for a tune up cook. For the record, if I had Rons money I would have cooked ten times this amount. As always, I hope that y'all enjoy this small tune up cook. And thanks for looking my friends. May the Seafood Gods keep us all ever in their good grace. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

Comments

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Looks like a mess of goodness. If I had a seal, I'd leave it here.

Let me go find one.

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Very nice! Just need some sausage and crab in there for a  proper low country boil.
  • SGH
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Very nice! Just need some sausage and crab in there for a  proper low country boil.
    Thanks man. My wife asked me to replace the sausage with potatoes and jalapeños. She is kind of weird =)

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,570
    Options
    Fantastic !!!!
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • Lowflyer
    Lowflyer Posts: 785
    Options
    Wow! Looks great!!
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    World class fixins!!!!!
  • Dredger
    Dredger Posts: 1,468
    Options
    Good lawd, that looks killer. I'd say that is a 5 star "tune up cook".
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • Roadpuke0
    Roadpuke0 Posts: 529
    Options
    I would tear up those claws my friend.
    Plumbers local 130 chicago.     Why do today what you can do tomorrow

weapons: XL, Minie, old gasser, weber, v10 Bradley smoker and sometimes talent!

Bristol, Wisconsin 
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    @sgh - I say this from the bottom of my heart, "you suck".  Simply because I don't have that on my plate.  Nice job sir!!

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Hub
    Hub Posts: 927
    Options
    You should open a restaurant. 
    Beautiful and lovely Villa Rica, Georgia
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,361
    Options
    Good eats right there
    Jacksonville FL
  • SGH
    Options
    Roadpuke0 said:
    I would tear up those claws my friend.
    Claws are honestly one of my all time favorites my friend. 

Status- Standing by.

• cssmd27
    cssmd27 Posts: 345
    Options
    How many folks were you feeding?  Just you and the wife????
    Dallas (University Park), Texas
  • SGH
    Options
    cssmd27 said:
    How many folks were you feeding?  Just you and the wife????
    It is for me and the wife my friend. My wife is kind of a hog. 

Status- Standing by.

• jabam
    jabam Posts: 1,829
    Options
    I don't do a lot of seafood, living in Central Valley CA, we don't have access to a lot of fresh seafood, but you have inspired me to give it a go! Looks awesome brother!!
    Central Valley CA     One large egg One chocolate lab "Halle" two chiuahuas "Skittles and PeeWee"
  • yljkt
    yljkt Posts: 799
    Options
    I'd give this the SGH seal of approval but have no idea how to. That is friggen awesome! 
  • Phatchris
    Phatchris Posts: 1,726
    Options
    I would tear into all of that... Good stuff right there!
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    If you won't say it I will say it for you and the lack of time you have for activities outside of slaving away for the green $$

Thanks Obama! 

There ;)
    Seattle, WA
  • SGH
    Options
    SkinnyV said:
    If you won't say it I will say it for you and the lack of time you have for activities outside of slaving away for the green $$

Thanks Obama! 

There ;)
    Brother skinny, this meal was purchased with some of the last money that I emasssd during the Glory Days of Big Ron. Once I start having to live off of what Obummer has dwindled me down to, I will be eating potted meat and crackers. 

Status- Standing by.

• yljkt
    yljkt Posts: 799
    Options
    SGH said:
    SkinnyV said:

Thanks Obama! 

There ;)
    Brother skinny, this meal was purchased with some of the last money that I emasssd during the Glory Days of Big Ron. Once I start having to live off of what Obummer has dwindled me down to, I will be eating potted meat and crackers. 
    SGH said:
    SkinnyV said:

Thanks Obama! 

There ;)
    And telling us how to cook it into something decent. 
  • Wanasmoke
    Wanasmoke Posts: 388
    Options
    Simply amazing!  You need to post a picture of the 9 other people helping you prep this feast because they deserve a slap on the back ;) Well done my friend....fried soft shells are on my list should I ever find myself on death row
    LBGE in Elm Grove, WI
  • blukat
    blukat Posts: 354
    Options
    Looks awesome as always!! @SGH  Now I have a craving for soft shell crabs and claws!
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    @sgh did you ever do southern biscuits and gravy in the style of Dixie????
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • eggnewtoy
    eggnewtoy Posts: 496
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Looks great.  My faves. Yum on summer seafood and deep fryers.  
    BGE Large and MiniMax, Napolean 500.  Obsessed with rotisserie.  

• SGH
    Options
    thetrim said:
    @sgh did you ever do southern biscuits and gravy in the style of Dixie????
    I sure do my friend. May post some this weekend if I'm still off. 

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    For some reason my catfish pics did not show up. 

Status- Standing by.

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    And there was catfish too? Nice
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • SGH
    Options
    DMW said:
    And there was catfish too? Nice
    Always my friend. If I make shrimp, catfish is a given. They go together like liberals and lies my friend. 

Status- Standing by.

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Scottie, I've been away.  Holy Shlt, wish it had been at your place.  You know how i love all things seafood/fish.  Home run cook brother!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    Nothing big or fancy, you said????

We have different standards about that.  Invite me over, though, and I'll be happy to learn...  :)