Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

3# Rib Cap

Options
HofstraJet
HofstraJet Posts: 1,156
edited June 2016 in EggHead Forum
Following in the footsteps of this thread when I was a newbie, I am once again trying a dry aged rib cap, this time the 3# version.

Purchased from Flannery Beef.

Will keep everyone updated.

Two Large Eggs, 6 gal Cajun Fryer, and a MiniMax in Charlotte, NC - My New Table
Twitter: @ Bags
Blog: TheJetsFan.com

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    Dang-that is a beautiful hunk of beef.  Enjoy the cook.
    FWIW I find the cook easier to nail if the cap is not jelly rolled-just gotta pay more attention as it cooks quickly.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Eggdicted_Dawgfan
    Options
    Interested to see the outcome. How long do you plan to dry age? Bag or naked? Do you dry age rolled and then unroll to cook or keep it rolled? I did not know this cut would hold up to dry aging. Learn something new every day on this site. Good luck and post results! 
    Snellville, GA

• Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    How long you going to age it for?

Not sure if I would do it myself. I like it as-is and it is plenty rich enough for me. I like it unrolled, then cooked direct and hot for a good crust. 

Aged, I guess indirect and then sear and you will get a great crust, but you are going to have to be careful not to over cook. 2 strikes against you: a thin cut and dry aged.  ....unless you keep it rolled.

Keep us updated! 
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • HofstraJet
    Options
    I bought it dry aged and tied - didn't do anything myself. Never thought of unrolling it. Last time I cooked one, it was rolled and came out fine, if a bit overdone for my taste but that was my fault (see link in first post). Not sure what unrolling it would do to the cut. Maybe with a smaller one when I'm not having guests I can try that. Thanks everyone for the suggestion.
    Two Large Eggs, 6 gal Cajun Fryer, and a MiniMax in Charlotte, NC - My New Table
  • BBQBuddy
    BBQBuddy Posts: 275
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Where are you in SE Fla?  I'm in Miami and could come over and give an honest opinion on the matter.   =)
    Seriously, I grilled a rib eye cap steak a few weeks ago that I got from Costco - it was one of the best pieces of meat I've ever had.

2 Large BGE, MiniMax, Miami, FL

• Eggdicted_Dawgfan
    Options
    @HofstraJet was this aged individually or was the sub primal aged and then the cap removed? Either way that's going to be a tasty piece of meat.
    Snellville, GA

• HofstraJet
    Options
    Came out great. Indirect at 350 and then a hot sear to finish.

• MotownVol
    MotownVol Posts: 1,040
    Options
    Man that looks great.   Very nice.
    Morristown TN, LBGE and Mini-Max.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Spectacular!

Ruth's Chris's ain't got nothin' on you.
  • cssmd27
    cssmd27 Posts: 345
    Options
    Flannery Beef is the absolute best!  I've been purchasing prime rib caps from him for almost 10 years and have a freezer full of them currently (over purchased, oops! - tough problem....)

He recommends cooking these a bit more than the standard rare to med. rare due to the fat content, and I have to agree.

He'll custom dry age however long you wish, but he's told me that these rib caps are only about 28 days (his minimum) because they dry out otherwise.  FWIW, I have a bunch of his California Reserve Ribeyes that he did as a primal for 60 days of dry aging.  If you don't like/appreciate extreme aged beef, it wouldn't be for you.

Anyway, I can't recommend him enough and his rib caps are significant higher quality and better trimmed than the Costco ones.  I frequently SV (hot tub, really), then sear on a hot grill for a finish.  No marinade or heavy seasoning!!!!  I just use salt and let the meat shine!
    Dallas (University Park), Texas
  • tjsp
    tjsp Posts: 48
    Options
    Can you get this anywhere in California? Never seen it before. Only an online purchase? Very intrigued. 
  • cssmd27
    cssmd27 Posts: 345
    Options
    tjsp said:
    Can you get this anywhere in California? Never seen it before. Only an online purchase? Very intrigued. 
    His retail shop is in San Rafael, but I don't think he has retail distribution.  His beef is served in a bunch of very high end restaurants in Cali though.

He ships everything fresh and 2nd Day Air or overnight if you prefer.  I would use his website as a guide.  He can age and cut everything to your own customized requests such as which end of the rib roast to cut your steaks.  Call him up and talk to him.  He is a wealth of knowledge about beef.

I usually request my steaks cut from primals around the 45-48 day of age.  Just the right amount without scaring off any guests that might be squeamish about the extreme aging at 60+ days.  (I save those steaks for me!)
    Dallas (University Park), Texas
  • tjsp
    tjsp Posts: 48
    Options
    Thanks for the info...appreciated  :D