Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Anyone own a tilley hat?

Options

Comments

• CobraEgg
    CobraEgg Posts: 4
    Options
    I have 5 of them. An original T1, a T3, a Blue T3, a winter one with ear lugs. But my favorite is the Mesh Hat. Lots of ventilation and a wide brim.
  • Sardonicus
    Sardonicus Posts: 1,700
    edited June 2016
    Options
    SGH said:
     Between me and my wife we make over 300,000 a year and own two homes. Not to bad
    seems you were doing ok in 2014.
    SGH said:
    seems you were doing ok in 2014.

Darby there is some truth in that. But let me explain. I was living off of money that I amassed during the Glory Days of Big Ron. However the tax and spend policies of the last 7 years have all but taken its toll on what I once had. I now find myself almost destitute. Kind of sad really. I have spent my life working extremely long hours away from family to ultimately end up broke. The American liberal dream. Ain't it great? 
    well.  if you made that money before O'bummer, then it was already taxed right?  so you aren't paying taxes on already taxed income. 

but i'm confused, you said you were making 300,000 in 2014.  well after ronnie. five years into O'buttmunch, actually. 

but i would imagine you have saved a lot in your 89 years on the planet, or whatever age it was you said you were .

It happens.  Too often people who fail to effectively manage their finances blame their failure(s) on others. :|
    I'm sure that's not the case in this instance :) , but lots of folks waste their time 
    sitting around dreaming of the good ole days
    rather than staying aware of current situations and adjusting their investing and spending habits appropriately. ;) 

Then, they whine.
    And blame.
    Others.

B) 

"Too bad all the people who know how to run the country are busy driving cabs and barbecuing."      - George Burns

• FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
    Options
    Just picked up 1.75L of Gentleman Jack Daniels. So if I don't catch any fish this weekend at least I will catch a buzz :-)
    Boom
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    do they still make these extra wide ones? keeps my XL cool for cold smoking  =)

That is the one I have had for about 10 years. Very good protection but that is not made anymore to my understanding.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• dfrelich
    dfrelich Posts: 104
    Options
    I have one since 1990 trip to the BWCA.  Loved it ever since.  People comments all time about my hat.

Like BGE.  Worth the big purchase. 
    X-Large & Large
    Frederick County, MD
  • swordsmn
    swordsmn Posts: 683
    edited June 2016
    Options
    SGH said:
    if i had the money SGH had, i would buy everyone on the forum one of these, each

Darby, if you had my money you couldn't afford a bandana little lone a hat. 
    Yeah but your investments are liquid or should I say frozen (very well) for 8-10 days..  Sell a roto or two, buy some booze and SRF meat.  You still wrapping garden hose onto little spools on boats? :-). Missed ya @SGH..
    LBGE, AR.  Lives in N.E. ATL
  • Sonny3
    Sonny3 Posts: 455
    Options
    And here I thought I was going to go broke just buying "Eggcessories".

I have mentioned lately that I am going through Chemo and one of the warnings is to be extremely careful of the sun on my now bald head (from the chemo).

So I have been following this conversation which resulted in my buying my first Tilley today.

I have got to just quit reading every new post here, or else I won't be able to afford any protein to cook on the Egg.

But thanks for the "heads up", pun intended.
    Titusville, Fl. and just bought XL and Med BGE.  "Every Day is A Bonus" in my world, and my job is to choke the life out of them. Cancer Sucks.
  • dougcrann
    dougcrann Posts: 1,129
    Options
    I own a stainless steel hat...
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,893
    Options
    dougcrann said:
    LMAO, Doug! Even without your protective hat you look like what I had in my mind. Isn't that weird?
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Options
    We each have one.  My Dermatologist recommended them after the first basil cell removal.  They are great and stay on my head even in the wind.  Wish I could find the original wide brim.

Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Captain_Paul
    Captain_Paul Posts: 138
    Options
    Wore mine on a boat ride and parasailing yesterday. Stayed put and kept the sun off me. Later saw another guy in the ocean with one and hollared "nice Tilley!"  He said he loved it just like everyone who has one. 
    LBGE, Minimax
    Owensboro, Kentucky
    Go Cats!
  • NC_Egghead
    NC_Egghead Posts: 786
    Options
    I've had one for about 8-9 years and love it. It has been on 3 Boy Scout high adventures with me; BWCA in Northern Minnesota, Philmont in New Mexico, and SeaBase in the Florida Keys. It was so nasty after 10 days and 90 miles of hiking at Philmont, I couldn't stand to put it on my head. Brought it home and threw it in the washing machine and it was as good as new. You can roll it up and stuff it in your pack and it just keeps coming back to life. I hope I never loose it because it's attached to so many memories!
    Charlotte, NC

XL BGE, WSM, Weber Genesis 2, Weber Kettle
  • Vegas Eggus
    Vegas Eggus Posts: 152
    Options
    SGH said:
     I'm going to get one now that I'm allergic to the sun.
    No so long ago, I didn't know that this was real (being allergic to the sun). About 5 years ago I was working with a young man who said that he was allergic to the sun. I thought that he was just making a joke. Sadly he wasn't. He would breakout with what looked like chicken poxs if he got to much sun. Up to then I would not have thought it possible to be allergic to the sun. Any idea as to what causes someone to become allergic to sunlight?

Think some meds can cause it. 

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I heard RTIC is going to branch out into the sun hat market?  Design will look a LOT like Tilley but price will be half and it will be a better hat.  Order now Thanksgiving delivery. =)

Sorry, had to.
    Slogan:  "Half the price and twice the lice!"
    Options
    Mine has been to Hell and back. I bought one for My Beautiful Wife, because I wanted to protect her from uv, tics, etc., because of the time we send outdoors. Great in the rain.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Holepuncher
    Holepuncher Posts: 388
    Options
    $84.00 later, one followed me home yesterday, early Fathers Day present. I had been thinking about them but couldn't justify the price. The reviews on here convinced me to make the purchase, that and wife didn't know what to get me for Fathers Day. Will be used for convertible and a little kayaking, 
    Hendersonville, TN.
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    @Holepuncher ... now comes the hard part ... don't baby the hat!  Squash it, pack it, wear it, throw it in the washing machine, treat it like a red-headed stepchild, etc..  Fight the urge to wrap it in plastic and only take it out on medium warm days with no forecast of rain.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    Anybody know if the Tilleys are true to New Era fitted baseball cap size?
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Holepuncher
    Holepuncher Posts: 388
    Options
    Jeepster47, Thanks the durability was one of the buying points.
    Hendersonville, TN.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Focker said:
    @Focker Tilley's site has directions on how to measure your head for their sizing. I measured myself, and they're about the same, if I recall.
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    Focker said:
    @Focker Tilley's site has directions on how to measure your head for their sizing. I measured myself, and they're about the same, if I recall.
    Sweet, I will check out their site.
    Thanks
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    Options
    Hat size is circumference of the crown of your head divided by three
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Hat size is circumference of the crown of your head divided by three

Not quite that simple for most hats.  For example, a 22 1/2 inch circumference relates to a 7 1/8 size hat (US, size 7 UK) for most places (Including Goorin Bros, Stetson, Hats.com, Village Hat)  For Tilley, 22 1/2 inch would be a 7 1/4 size (They use Canadian Sizing, not UK)

Dividing by 3 would give you a 7 1/2 size.  Probably not a big deal, but it could mean the difference between a Medium and Large in some cases.
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Darby_Crenshaw, Do you measure before or after a successful cook?
    You are a man of few words my friend. But when you speak, you make a good point for sure ;)

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Eggscuses
    Eggscuses Posts: 399
    Options
    dougcrann said:
    Does that also help block the aliens from hearing your thoughts ?  Or do you still have to add aluminum foil?
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Eggscuses said:
    dougcrann said:
    Does that also help block the aliens from hearing your thoughts ?  Or do you still have to add aluminum foil?
    I was wondering about the gremlins that keep causing ceramic defects. Lol

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
    Options
    So I broke the hat in this weekend
    took kayaks out to tybee island to camp and fish
    worked flawlessly
    It kept sun out of my eyes way better than a baseball cap ever has. kept sun off my neck which I think helped me not get as hot. Was very windy saturday and hat felt secure on head entire time (though I did not always feel as secure in kayak because how choppy it was)
    already exceeded expectations. only regret is I did not buy earlier
    Boom
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    Focker said:
    i buy them 1/8 bigger than the usual hat size, they sit loosely on your head, not tighter like a cap. i got 1 size larger after my first hat replacement
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • XC242
    XC242 Posts: 1,208
    Options
    Picked up mine on Saturday, an early Father's Day gift from my wife and daughter. Same as what I'm reading above, bought it 1/8 size larger than my normal size. The cat seems to like it...
    LBGE (still waitin' for my free T-Shirt), DIgiQ DX2 (In Blue, cause it's the fastest), Heavy Duty Kick Ash Basket, Mc Farland, WI. :glasses:  B)
    If it wasn't for my BGE I'd have no use for my backyard...