Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

For Cen-Tex. A 38.3 pound monster in the making.

12346»

Comments

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    yljkt said:
    Called him what? See what I did there....
    I didn't do anything there. He's posted his number many times when people have serious questions. I was genuinely saying that someone should call the man and make sure all is well. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • He's fine. Talked to him several times. He's either back at the coal mine or just does not want to post about it for whatever reason. He's given me no indication that anything was wrong other than the  immense amount of fat. He very well may enjoying watching you guys trip all over each other :lol:
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Scottie will show up.  Sit back and take a drink.  

Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • SloppyJoe
    SloppyJoe Posts: 406
    I guess the buffalo prevents pictures of the unit???
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    There have been several pictures of the unit posted here. 

He said he had 3 days off and was back to work.   He's a man of his word!
    LBGE/Maryland
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    edited June 2016
    I spoke to him today. Not about him not being on the forum though. I think he is just catching up on rest and family time after a long work period. I know he was busting butt to do his mom's house for her before getting called to work for a few months straight. He's probably just worn out.  
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    edited June 2016
    is any SGH thread complete without laughs. That's all this is about....in good fun really, and a bit of razzing. No harm no foul.
    i truly believe he is about as standup you can get as a person and enjoy him very much.
    Seattle, WA
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Brisket is overrated, no matter the size.
    New Albany, Ohio 

• nhk19
    nhk19 Posts: 151
    ^^^^^Agreed!  
    XLBGE
    Lewisburg, PA
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited June 2016
    Except in Texas, where they're overrun with lean and inedible wild hogs, and the deer are anorexic and taste like sage.  

A dry brisket would be a delicacy.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    I spoke to him today. Not about him not being on the forum though. I think he is just catching up on rest and family time after a long work period. I know he was busting butt to do his mom's house for her before getting called to work for a few months straight. He's probably just worn out.  
    Hate to tell you this but you are WAY off base here.  For Scottie, he would be "WORE" out not "just worn out"
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Hope Hillary didn't give him the Vince Foster treatment.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited June 2016
    SGH said:
    Dondgc said:
    It seems to me like there might have been more going on here than a fatty brisket. Perhaps we should let this thread die and just be happy when @sgh is back sharing his knowledge. 

No my friend, other than working nothing is going on. Just to reiterate what brother Tex mentioned somewhere above, I try to never say anything that could be taken as derogatory or negative. I'm usually the very first to say great job or it looks awesome no matter how good or bad something may actually look. I'm just soft hearted that way. I cant intentionally belittle someone or their efforts. The truth is, the brisket was fantastic. As mentioned earlier, my wife and I ate 6-8 ounces of it raw. The meat was simply fantastic. With that said, if I were to take a educated guess, it was 40% fat through and through. I removed over 6 pounds of fat before cooking it.

In all honesty, I debated on saying that I messed up during the cook. But that would have been a lie. The meat turned out perfect. But the remaining layers of fat was just more than most folks are accustom to seeing. As such, I chose not to post it. On that note, once the brisket was done to my liking, I wrapped it in paper and intentionally over cooked it a little to render down the fat. It was a no go. So next I wrapped the brisket in foil while it was still wrapped in paper (double wrapped) and cooked it farther. Still a no go. I intentionally far over cooked this brisket in the end simply to see if I could render away all the fat. It just wasn't happening. With all that said, I got a text from brother Grim asking about the fat in my brisket. What made him ask was that during trimming his he accidentally separated the point from the flat. Let that sink in for a minute. That should give you some idea as to the amount of fat im speaking off.

Again, I really did not want to say any thing that could be taken as negative. I appreciated the opportunity to get to cook such a large brisket and the trouble that Tex went through to get it to me. I was perfectly satisfied with the quality of the meat. It was just the massive amount of fat that I think would turn most folks away.

To everyone who gave kind words and comments, as always, I appreciate it my friends. I'm honored to be associated with such fine folks.

For clarification, in my opening paragraph I stated that I never say anything derogatory or negative. I'm sure that Yetitards, Suckertards, libtards and taxocrats will be along shortly to try and say other wise. Pay no attention to them my friend. What I say about them is not derogatory. Its simply stating the truth. Huge difference you see.

Also some where back in this thread someone asked what would Big Ron do? The answer is obvious. He would kick every a$$ around and then ask questions. Big Ron did not play nor tolerate nonsense. He was a true a$$ kicker.

Why the soft heart all of a sudden?  
    Nothing wrong with telling the truth brother, even if it hurts.  Nothing derogatory about being completely honest with yourself, your assessment, and your findings.

Ron was from Tampico.  That's how us yanks roll.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    I wish I knew who Ron was. 
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    gmac said:
    He was a God my friend. And a great kicker of a$$. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• bgeaddikt
    bgeaddikt Posts: 503
    edited June 2016
    IMO SGH handled it correctly, but myself, and others, the anticipation was killing us! Glad i waited.
    Austin, Tx
  • buzzvol
    buzzvol Posts: 534
    Sounds like an intriguing experience @SGH!  It has been great fun watching this thread. 
    Lawrenceville, GA
  • jonnymack
    jonnymack Posts: 627
    Well glad to hear the brisket didn't eat you as I had theorized earlier. I think everything is worthy of posting. 
    Firing up the BGE in Covington, GA

• SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    #yetitards..... Hmmm who could that be. ;)
    Seattle, WA
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    SGH said:
    gmac said:
    He was a God my friend. And a great kicker of a$$. 
    Um, not me. I'm in hopes of that being helpful.
    He i talking about RR, The Rolls Royce, Rock and Roll.....Ronald Reagan the CINC. 
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • No internet for a few days, which is normal for my life, but good to catch up on this particular thread.

I had a hypothesis that perhaps this cook supports: Can a series of choice brisket packers surpass primes overall?

i.e. Where is the sweet spot in marbling that renders&retains the best of both worlds for this cut? Is it more preparation/time/temperature/method dependent than grade dependent at this level?

Do we sometimes over-emphasize the importance of fat content vs. the flavor (due to breed, diet, etc.) of the beef?

That being said, I will buy from Ranger some day. Glad they were put on my radar.

No response necessary, just my musings.

Goodnight.
    Gittin' there...
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Can a series of choice brisket packers surpass primes overall?

i.e. Where is the sweet spot in marbling that renders&retains the best of both worlds for this cut? Is it more preparation/time/temperature/method dependent than grade dependent at this level?

Do we sometimes over-emphasize the importance of fat content vs. the flavor (due to breed, diet, etc.) of the beef?

You asked a series of questions above my friend. I will offer my thoughts to each as best  that I can. Some of what I say will be fact, some will be my opinion based on personal experience. 
    First, can choice surpass prime? Sure it can. Due to the method used to grade meat, the ungraded section of the carcass is not always a true reflection or representation of the graded section. Thus there are times that you will get a select that's better than choice, or a choice that's better than prime. This is not usually the norm, but it certainly happens. I would be willing to bet that most folks who have cooked a lot of briskets or clods has seen it for themselves. I certainly have.
    Second, where is the sweet spot? As far as marbling, I don't know if there is a upper limit. In my experience, the more the better. Let me be clear here, I'm speaking of marbling only. Not fat pockets or layers of fat. There is a huge difference between the two. When it comes to fat, you reach a certain point that if you were to remove it all, you would be left with a series of commodity cuts instead of a primal or a subprimal. The reduction would be that extreme. As far as cooking it away, there is a practical limit to everything where it simply can not be done without ruining the end product. And that was the case here. After cooking this brisket to perfection, I intentionally wrapped it and over cooked it to see if I could reduce some of the fat. It simply wasn't happening without ruining the meat. 
    On that note, let me reiterate some of my earlier points. As far as quality meat, this brisket was fantastic. I had no issue with the taste of the meat. It was truly phenomenal. My wife and I actually ate a few ounces of it raw. However there was simply a overwhelming amount of actual fat layers that caught me off guard. In no way did it affect the end product. Only its presentation. With that said, a lot of folks eat with their eyes first. 
    Will I cook one of these again? Absolutley. When I'm cooking for personal consumption and enjoyment, I'm more concerned with taste than presentation. 
    Third, do we over emphasize fat vs flavor? If you are asking about actual marbling, I would have to say no. If you are asking about layers of excess fat, then I would have to say yes (with grind meat being the exception). But that's a whole different thing all together, but I mention it for clarification. 
    I would like to touch on one last point that I may or may not have mentioned in this post. I did mention it to brother Tex on the phone during the cook because it really suprised me. This brisket honestly felt perfectly done at 135 internal. That was my first clue that something was different. It felt like a hot bowl of jello. The usual tell tale sign that a brisket is done. It was the extreme amount of fat (not marbling) that caused this. 
    I hope that this helps my friend. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out.