Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Anyone have trouble going to a restaurant?

Options
my wife  said she wanted steak tonight, so stopped and bought a few ribeyes.  I have a hard time ordering steak at a restaurant unless we are talking prime steakhouses.  Anyone else spoiled with the egg that going out to eat isn't good anymore?  Just do it if you know ou don't have the time to cook, or you are going to very fine dining.   I feel the egg brings fine dining to home.

Comments

• Ima_good_egg
    Ima_good_egg Posts: 590
    Options
    We feel the same.  The egg makes food taste better.
    Wisconsin, lbge, MM, kab, pig tail flippers, bear claws, and more rubs than I will admit to.
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,540
    Options
    Yep..... All the time
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • apinion
    apinion Posts: 470
    Options
    All the time.  I'd rather get twice the food cooked the way I want it than to pay someone else.
    Louisianian by birth, Louisianian by death. Austinite for now...
  • Gamecockeggman
    Gamecockeggman Posts: 1,329
    Options
    Had to eat outback the other day....I hate myself
    Go Gamecocks!!!
    1 XL, 1 MM
    Smoking in Aiken South Carolina
  • loveTheEgg
    loveTheEgg Posts: 573
    Options
    Cool-aid! 
    Brandon, MS
  • Holepuncher
    Holepuncher Posts: 388
    Options
    That is "Fine Dining".
    Hendersonville, TN.
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    So far, these are what My Beautiful Wife and I no longer order when we go out when it is just us:
    Beef
    Chicken
    Pork
    Shell Fish
    Crustacean 
    Salt water fish
    Fresh water fish
    Pizza
    We will order:
    Asian, pasta, sushi, drinks.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    We feel this way all the time
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • smokesniffer
    smokesniffer Posts: 2,016
    Options
    Love cooking at home, tastes better, fun to prepare and way easier on the budget. We went out the other night, for a light meal, both order some fancy salad, both had one drink $50. Not really worth it, but it was a date night.
    Large, small, and a mini
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,036
    Options
    I pick restraunts based on their cocktails now.  Food has been underwhelming at them for a long time.

I do enjoy going with a large group of friends though.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I order technical food
    I order technical food
    Mcrib hold the onions?

Little Rock, AR

• nolaegghead
    Options
    I order technical food
    Mcrib hold the onions?
    Pretty much.  Takes about as much equipment (millions of dollars) to make one, sorta like taking a truffula tree and ending up with a knit thneed.

Options
    ...ain't nobody doin that at home. ;)
    Options
    I already see the next throwdown.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    I already see the next throwdown.
    We can have a throwdown where we all make surimi from scratch!!
    Options
    This is usually part of my argument when someone tells me eggs are expensive or charcoal is expensive. I simply ask how much they eat out--debate over
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Jstroke said:
    This is usually part of my argument when someone tells me eggs are expensive or charcoal is expensive. I simply ask how much they eat out--debate over
    Aint that the truth Brother!   I simply do not enjoy most restaurant experiences anymore.  I love Italian, certain Chinese, Middle Eastern and Mexican places but my kids always remind me that chicken, ribs, steak, burgers, sausage, pizza, brisket amd pulled pork are so much better at home than from any restaurant.      BGE has opened up an incredible world of cooking possibilities for me and it is incredible....

We hardly go to restaurants at all anymore and when we have celebrations and i cook for family or friends, it is always a wonderful EGGsperience.....
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,822
    Options
    I honestly could not tell you the last time I ordered a steak at a restaurant. 
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • Elijah
    Elijah Posts: 686
    Options
    I still order one every year or so. I regret it every time.
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Options
    I was just going to post that The Spouse paid me a nice complement a while ago that she did not like restaurant steaks any more after eating mine.  I told her what I was doing and she said "Hell, we can't order a pizza anymore!"

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• ibanda
    ibanda Posts: 553
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I really did not know how to cook very well when I bought my egg 7 or 8 years ago. I learned how to cook from this forum and going to eggfests. I remember 7 years ago eating my own food and it was a revelation to realize this is as good as a restaurant! About a month later thinking, my own food is better than most restaurants!

The NY Strip steak method posted by TREX on the forum was the first cook I mastered. 
    "Bacon tastes gooood, pork chops taste gooood." - Vincent Vega, Pulp Fiction
    Small and Large BGE in Oklahoma City.
  • Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    Jstroke said:
    Aint that the truth Brother!   I simply do not enjoy most restaurant experiences anymore.  I love Italian, certain Chinese, Middle Eastern and Mexican places but my kids always remind me that chicken, ribs, steak, burgers, sausage, pizza, brisket amd pulled pork are so much better at home than from any restaurant.      BGE has opened up an incredible world of cooking possibilities for me and it is incredible....

We hardly go to restaurants at all anymore and when we have celebrations and i cook for family or friends, it is always a wonderful EGGsperience.....
    It's funny how that becomes more and more true as time goes on and we become less nervous on the egg. At first you make a hash of it(I sure did), and then gradually it's better, and then you realize after a year or two the only thing you get is take out and only from your favorite Chinese. And only when SWMBO says no cooking tonight. Otherwise the pantry and the meat locker are stocked and the idea of going out and dealing with parking and unedibles becomes a chore, so you stop mentioning it. And like you, anytime there is a excuse to get together as a family the expectation is that you're egging which is great as that means we slow things down a bit relax, play corn hole and tell lies. It sure beats wedging everyone into a restaurant where you only talk to the person on either side, or God forbid having it catered. 
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    True story Jstroke:

After i got my first bge an xl r yrs ago some family members would come over for great eats.   We dont host a ton of parties but enough get togethers at sis in laws and cousin in laws where they each bought a Large BGE with the caveat that i agree to cook on them at their parties!    I made za, steaks, burgers, chicks and turkeys beyond belief at each of their homes, and it gave me good practice too

We went out to dinner tonite.  Italian,   good stuff but if it was a bar and grill, i would not have enjoyed any of it because i am so spoiled by the results that come off my big green eggs.    

My kids return from their friends houses telling me that the hot dogs or carry out pizza they had was ok but they want their pals over to our place so they can taste what really good food is like

BGE isnt just about cooking....its about a lifestyle,
  • Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    True story Jstroke:

After i got my first bge an xl r yrs ago some family members would come over for great eats.   We dont host a ton of parties but enough get togethers at sis in laws and cousin in laws where they each bought a Large BGE with the caveat that i agree to cook on them at their parties!    I made za, steaks, burgers, chicks and turkeys beyond belief at each of their homes, and it gave me good practice too

We went out to dinner tonite.  Italian,   good stuff but if it was a bar and grill, i would not have enjoyed any of it because i am so spoiled by the results that come off my big green eggs.    

My kids return from their friends houses telling me that the hot dogs or carry out pizza they had was ok but they want their pals over to our place so they can taste what really good food is like

BGE isnt just about cooking....its about a lifestyle,
    I don't doubt it one bit. Good for you getting the rest of the family to eggs
  • rifrench
    rifrench Posts: 469
    Options
    My grandchildren went to a steak house while on vacation, and ordered their steaks "cooked like PaPa does"!
     1 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 1 KBQ and a 26" Blackstone near Blackstone, Virginia
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    I order steaks cause I like steaks. Rarely do they measure up,even at high end joints. 
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    There's maybe 300 restaurants, cafe's etc, besides the chains, near where I live. Any more, there's maybe 15 I will go to. 1 is new, and the chef had a bit of instruction on his brisket from Aaron Franklin. Needless to say, his product puts everyone else's to shame. Another is a Puerto Rican guy's place, who also happens to cook on Eggs.