Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First time doing a Brisket and first time using a Flame Boss 200 Help Please -have a large green egg

Options

Comments

• calracefan
    calracefan Posts: 606
    Options
    With my Flame Boss w/ temp probe on grid 240 will equate to 250-260 range dome, and all but completely close your top vent or natural draft can over shoot temp. If it happens Flame Boss will text you and suggest closing top vent more . Been there and done that ! Good Luck ! All other help here is golden, they wont steer you wrong ! 
    Ova B.
    Fulton MO
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    dh7 said:
    Cool deal. Let me know if you have any other questions or need help during the cook. 

On on the rub, I use 1oz as the parts. It makes 2/3 of a large rub container full. I use it on everything. Brisket, chicken ribs,steaks, burgers. It's a great go-to simple rub that works well on everything. I don't use it on butts (I use Oakridge beef and pork-that stuff is awesome). 
    Should I allow 1-1/2 Hours per pound for a choice flat?  If I want to eat around 6pm I would need to start heating up egg around 3am?    
    I would estimate 1 hour per lb if you cook about 250.  Since you are wrapping it you won't experience much of a stall.  The meat cooks faster when it is wrapped in foil because the meat can't "sweat".  In this Dr BBQ video he cooked 8 hours for a 9 lb brisket around 250.  6 hours in the egg, then 2 more foiled. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-BrQ_jefYc

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    dh7 said:
    Cool deal. Let me know if you have any other questions or need help during the cook. 

On on the rub, I use 1oz as the parts. It makes 2/3 of a large rub container full. I use it on everything. Brisket, chicken ribs,steaks, burgers. It's a great go-to simple rub that works well on everything. I don't use it on butts (I use Oakridge beef and pork-that stuff is awesome). 
    Should I allow 1-1/2 Hours per pound for a choice flat?  If I want to eat around 6pm I would need to start heating up egg around 3am?    
    depends on which temp you settle on. I find that 260 is about an hour per lb. That's around where I like to cook. if you cook at 225 they can go as long as 2 hrs per lb. let's call it 9lb after trimming so if you want to eat at 6 and have a 2 hour rest I would have it on the egg at 260 by 6 am. That gives you an hour to play with. If you cook at 225 I would put it on at like 1am and plan for a longer hold if it gets done early. If you don't have a controller I would not try to hold temps at 225 overnight until you have more experience with it at those lower temps. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • dh7
    dh7 Posts: 42
    Options
    dh7 said:

depends on which temp you settle on. I find that 260 is about an hour per lb. That's around where I like to cook. if you cook at 225 they can go as long as 2 hrs per lb. let's call it 9lb after trimming so if you want to eat at 6 and have a 2 hour rest I would have it on the egg at 260 by 6 am. That gives you an hour to play with. If you cook at 225 I would put it on at like 1am and plan for a longer hold if it gets done early. If you don't have a controller I would not try to hold temps at 225 overnight until you have more experience with it at those lower temps. 
    dh7 said:

dh7 said:

I am going with the 250-260 route.  I watched the video several times but wasn't sure about the 1 hr it took him but based on what you said an hour should work since I'm going to foil.  It makes sense now that you pointed out the why.  I do have a Flame Boss 200 controller and going to do a trial run with no food for a few hours so when I put the brisket on I will feel confident in using it.  Getting up around 5 sounds a whole lot better than 3...We can always eat an hour earlier or later.  Again....thank you   
    Large Green Egg
    Alfresco Gas Grill
    Land O Lakes, Fl
  • YouEnjoyMyEgg
    Options
    @ Cen-Tex (or SGH or anyone else) - thanks for all the info, this thread has been great.  Today I bought a 7lb Choice flat.  Gonna give this a whirl tomorrow.  Do you have any advice on trimming? 

Also I didn't see anything mentioned regarding grid level.  What should this be?

Thanks!
  • dh7
    dh7 Posts: 42
    Options
    I'm obviously no expert but video with Dr. BBQ shows how to trim the brisket.  Do you have a platesetter?  The platesetter legs up and then the grate.  I thought the brisket was going to get done early but it stalled at 185 and took several more hours so beware....If it gets done sooner you can put in a cooler for 4 hours or so before serving so my only advise is to start earlier.  Cen-Tex is awesome and helped me so much with my first brisket.  It turned out really well....
    Large Green Egg
    Alfresco Gas Grill
    Land O Lakes, Fl
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    Brisket is overrated.
    New Albany, Ohio 

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    ^^^^^^Yes, this x 1,000,000
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    If you think brisket is overrated, that just means you have never made a good one.  It ain't the brisket's fault :lol:

grid level depends on your setup- Tell me what you use and I'll tell you how to set it up-
  • NERVOUS
    NERVOUS Posts: 104
    Options
    grid level depends on your setup- Tell me what you use and I'll tell you how to set it up-
    Well, since you offered...  I'm curious to hear your thoughts on how I should setup my BGE for a 16.55 lb USDA PRIME brisket cook I'm doing later this weekend.

I have an XL BGE with an Adjustable Rig / Woo combo.  I have the BGE ConvEGGtor as well as the 17.5" round stone from CGS...  So, lots of configuration options.
    Jeremiah  |  La Canada Flintridge, CA  |  XL BGE
    "Life is about experiences...  And one of my absolute favorite experiences is FOOD!"
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    NERVOUS said:
    Well, since you offered...  I'm curious to hear your thoughts on how I should setup my BGE for a 16.55 lb USDA PRIME brisket cook I'm doing later this weekend.

I have an XL BGE with an Adjustable Rig / Woo combo.  I have the BGE ConvEGGtor as well as the 17.5" round stone from CGS...  So, lots of configuration options.
    I use an AR on my larges. The setup I do is big stone down on lowest level, crossbars and another grid first level above the stone with a drip pan sitting on that grid, then standard grid with brisket on it above that. 

If for some reason I use a plate setter- which I never do anymore, I go legs up with a drip pan on rolled up foil rods on the platesetter with the brisket on the grid above that. 

I make my drip pans out of sheets of heavy aluminum foil. Just pull off roughly twice the length of your grid from your roll of foil, fold it in half then fold the edges up pinching them at the corners. 50 cent drip pan and throw it away when you are done. 
  • NERVOUS
    Options
    I use an AR on my larges. The setup I do is big stone down on lowest level, crossbars and another grid first level above the stone with a drip pan sitting on that grid, then standard grid with brisket on it above that. 
    Thank you...  I appreciate it.

Follow-up question for you:  The ceramic stone, drip tray, and cooking grid are all on the AR; which I assume is sitting directly on the fire ring (i.e. no Woo, etc)?
    "Life is about experiences...  And one of my absolute favorite experiences is FOOD!"
  • THEBuckeye
    Options
    If you think brisket is overrated, that just means you have never made a good one.  It ain't the brisket's fault :lol:

Overrated, like I said
    New Albany, Ohio 

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,967
    edited June 2016
    Options

Overrated, like I said

Dont make me write a song about this. It will not end well for you. In my song your dome breaks when it falls off the balcony 

• SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    Set it and forget it. I didn't open my lid for 11 hours just ignored  and let my guru do the work,
    Seattle, WA
  • YouEnjoyMyEgg
    Options

Thanks Cen-Tex. I have an AR, 13x17 grid, Spider, stone, drip pan, and the standard grid that came with the large BGE.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    edited June 2016
    Options
    NERVOUS said:
    Thank you...  I appreciate it.

Follow-up question for you:  The ceramic stone, drip tray, and cooking grid are all on the AR; which I assume is sitting directly on the fire ring (i.e. no Woo, etc)?
    that's the way I do it. I don't have a woo and didn't know they workled with an AR. Not sure why you would need both- especially on one cook

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options

Thanks Cen-Tex. I have an AR, 13x17 grid, Spider, stone, drip pan, and the standard grid that came with the large BGE.
    same setup as described above-
  • YouEnjoyMyEgg
    Options

Thanks. I don't have a Woo either.  But I use the spider to hold the stone slightly above the fire ring.  I guess I will use my one AR grid at the bottom level of the AR with the drip pan on it and put my LBGE grid (with brisket on it) on top of the AR.  Sound about right?
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    edited June 2016
    Options

Thanks. I don't have a Woo either.  But I use the spider to hold the stone slightly above the fire ring.  I guess I will use my one AR grid at the bottom level of the AR with the drip pan on it and put my LBGE grid (with brisket on it) on top of the AR.  Sound about right?
    You can do either. I only use my spider and stone down when I need 3 full racks above; like a drip pan and 2 briskets or 3 racks of spares- pretty rare but it happens. I like the max lump capacity, better airflow, and better heat protection by using the AR oval stone stone on the bottom, oval grid and drip pan on level 1 and brisket on the round BGE grid. seems to give everything a little space the breathe that way

• YouEnjoyMyEgg
    Options

You can do either. I only use my spider and stone down when I need 3 full racks above; like a drip pan and 2 briskets or 3 racks of spares- pretty rare but it happens. I like the max lump capacity, better airflow, and better heat protection by using the AR oval stone stone on the bottom, oval grid and drip pan on level 1 and brisket on the round BGE grid. seems to give everything a little space the breathe that way

I gotcha.  For some reason I thought that there should be space/air between the stone and the drip pan. That is what I was trying to create.  But I guess that is not necessary?  Drip pan is fine to go on the stone?
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options

I gotcha.  For some reason I thought that there should be space/air between the stone and the drip pan. That is what I was trying to create.  But I guess that is not necessary?  Drip pan is fine to go on the stone?
    stone, then crossbars and grid on the very first notch above the stone, drip pan on the grid (there is your air gap) then round bge grid on top with the brisket. I'll take a pic for you here in a minute if that does not make sense
  • THEBuckeye
    Options

Overrated, like I said

Dont make me write a song about this. It will not end well for you. In my song your dome breaks when it falls off the balcony 

New Albany, Ohio 

• THEBuckeye
    Options
    Note the steps in the left side of the pic.
    New Albany, Ohio 

• YouEnjoyMyEgg
    Options

stone, then crossbars and grid on the very first notch above the stone, drip pan on the grid (there is your air gap) then round bge grid on top with the brisket. I'll take a pic for you here in a minute if that does not make sense
    Maybe we are talking about a different stone.  Mine is round and needs something to sit on.  That's why I am using the Spider.  Unless I am just not understanding something.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options

Maybe we are talking about a different stone.  Mine is round and needs something to sit on.  That's why I am using the Spider.  Unless I am just not understanding something.
    I think I see now- you have the 13x17 grid but you didn't buy the 13x17 stone? I was assuming you got the RB Combo model that comes with that when I saw you have the oval grids. The only stone you have is the smaller stone that sits on the spider?
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Note the steps in the left side of the pic.
    still can't believe it didn't break. Mine are up that high too. I'm going to tighten my bands right now.

• NERVOUS
    Options
    Just an FYI from my recent research on all things Adjustable Rig / Woo combo related, a Woo is just a Spider with an outer ring.

I'll take a pic for you here in a minute if that does not make sense
    I'm pretty sure I understand what you mean, but I'll keep an eye out for your picture.

Thanks (again) for your help with this.
  • YouEnjoyMyEgg
    Options

I think I see now- you have the 13x17 grid but you didn't buy the 13x17 stone? I was assuming you got the RB Combo model that comes with that when I saw you have the oval grids. The only stone you have is the smaller stone that sits on the spider?
    Correct.  No oval stone.  I guess that may be something I should get.  I have the "Large Adjustable Rig Combo Kit" which comes with the spider and a round stone.

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options

Correct.  No oval stone.  I guess that may be something I should get.  I have the "Large Adjustable Rig Combo Kit" which comes with the spider and a round stone.

Ok. That cuts way down on the amount of lump you can load up and it does not have the best coverage for a long brisket. It will work though. Do you have a plate setter?