Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Emergency!

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I left home with a pork tenderloin on the egg and my wife in charge. I returned several hours later, and she was very upset. There had been an accident with the Egg. Somehow, the top half of the egg had fallen onto our snowy terrace and the part of the chimney cracked off in several (mostly large) pieces. It is too dark and cold right now for me to see how it came off the hinges, but I will look tomorrow.[p]I am desperate (and think how she feels), so any helpful advice is welcome. Divorce is not an option!

Comments

• Upon further inspection and discussion with my despondent wife, I see that the dome fell out of the metal band as she was closing or opening the Egg.[p]So it looks like I need to tighten the metal band and find a way to glue the remaining pieces to get the chimney substantially repaired.
  • JJ
    JJ Posts: 951
    Q%2520setup.jpg
    <p />choo choo,
    Fortunately you have some options. Duco makes a 2 part high temp epoxy cement that will work and also Rutland makes a product named furnace cement. Both can be obtained from any hardware or home improvement store. I have used the Duco and Char~Woody has used the Rutland product. Cornfed will likely jump in and give you the name of the product he used to put his Humpty EGG back together. What you have is a minor inconvenience. Look at my Rand McNally EGG. It still cooks great and has held up like that for nearly 6 years. Have a great Christmas and a terrific New Year.

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    choo choo,[p]Call BGE today - maybe they are open and they can explain what to do. Instruction to ALL who use the locking band is absoluely needed as this happens way too much. People not use to the dome try to force it closed and that locking band will not allow it to happen and the dome pulls out. Sometimes the bands are not tight enough. The bolts will actually bend and be useless for a second tightening - if they were tight enough the first time so look them over. [p]Call BGE 1-888-929-3447[p]Tim
  • Mop
    Mop Posts: 496
    Great point Tim......I have only had my Green cooker for a bit and I have a feeling it`s just matter of time before something unwelcome is going to happen....
    If the weather was nicer I would build the cooker in the bench and make a couple of safety precautions built in with the bench...as well as a sign asking people not to touch because of breakage hazard.[p]Roger

• Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    JJ,[p]I used Hercules Furnace Cement. A large tub of the stuff was less than $10 and I've been cooking on the reconstructed Egg for more than a year now and it still cooks like new. My Egg was dropped in a parking lot and broke into many many pieces but Smokin' Todd and I were able to put it back together again in one evening. Buy one of these products, reassemble the BGE, and have fun![p]Cornfed
  • I dig this forum---bought an "egg" three days ago for
    the Christmas bird and appreciate the forum's input.
    I did have an incident with the creation of my BGE. I put the top dome into the auto lock hing with curiosity---the dome is heavy, the hinge relatively flimsy. So I roughly opened and closed the BGE---the dome fell off. It was cold, and I caught it. I put it back together tightening the stuffing out of it, but am still leary.
    Love the way she cooks steaks, anticipating my bird.

• Mop
    Mop Posts: 496
    Schneid, I hear ya on the flimsy gig!
    I too posted the same finding after I assembled mine...
    To be completely honest with you I kind of think I would prefer the standard band as opposed to the locking band...
    The thing cooks some purdy mean grub though...[p]Roger!

• Gooba
    Gooba Posts: 26
    When I got my egg last week and put it together,I noticed a little package in the auto locking band box.It gave updated instructions on the band installation.It said to use the tube of silicone on the rear half of the bands,and to let it sit for 24 hours.It also said to periodically recheck the bolts on the bands.It did mention that the bolts might bend,but that was to be expected because you needed to make it tight.Hope this helps.
  • Tim M, I think you hit the nail on the head. I think she tried to close it without pushing the lever down, though she had apparently done it right several times while turning the meat. Unfortunately, it looks like the bands will not fit tightly and must be replaced. Fortunately, only the chimney was broken and it can be substantially repaired to working order.